Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Dick Tracy (1990)

Who remembers this movie?

I loved it since i was 9 years old when i saw it in theaters 4 times and one of my fave comic based movies. I remembered watching the 60's toon on Nick at the same time and i had some merchandise like watch, cards, some of the toys, t-shirt, cap, poster and all that. I even dressed up as Dick Tracy for Halloween that year and had a lunchbox.

This movie was like the Sin City of it's day with the same style/feel of a comic book with noir elements and similar make-up effects.

The cast was fine with Al Pacino who was hilarious as Big Boy, Dustin Hoffman was fine as Mumbles, Charles Durning was perfect as the chief, Mandy Patakin was excellent as 88Keys and all that.

I also gotta say Madonna never looked hotter than in this movie as Breathless Mahoney as i recalled when i saw this in theaters my face was turning red and when she came out in that black see-through dress (remember that scene especially with her tits nearly visible?), wow, i became a man.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM
I thought it sucked, lol.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Loved it
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 AM

Loved it as a kid. Havent watched it in ages though so I'll try and give it a rewatch sometime.

And LoPanfan, I definitely agree with you in regards to saying it was the Sin City of the 90s. I was about 7 when I saw it and was really taken back by how much fun it was. I loved the all star cast and not usually a fan of Beatty but he did a great job acting/directing here.

8/10
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I like the Sin City comparison - very fitting. I loved this movie and wouldn't mind seeing it again . . . it has been a while. It has a great cast - most of who are unrecognizable due to the great make up jobs, and the cinematography puts you right in the comic book. Beatty did a great job as the lead and as director. Great movie.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM
I've always liked it. It's kind of weird though, what a flash in the pan it was, like, for a brief moment it was as huge as any big comic book movie you'd see out today- at least in terms of merchandising. I had almost all the action figures from the movie and I even had one of those cool digital watches that he has in the movie. I even had, and still have, actually, some Dick Tracy refrigerator magnets that came with cereal or something.

But now people barely talk about it. Maybe because they didn't make 10 sequels and a reboot or any stuff like that. From what I understand Warren Beatty still holds the rights to the characters so unless he decides to do so we won't see more Dick Tracy any time soon.

P.S. it's also pretty mindblowing that Al Pacino actually got an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for his role.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Pacino was hilarious, although I don't know if I would give him a nomination. It must have been seen as a comback for him along with Godfather Part 3 the same year since he did nothing noteworthy throughout the 80's.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
I like the scene where Dustin Hoffman as Mumbles is not able to be understood until Tracy slows down a recording of his voice ("Big Boy did it.") and then all of a sudden, he's able to speak clearly. And for all of her faults, Madonna was actually enjoyable in this (her only other film which came close was Evita).

Last edited by edonline; 05-29-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Pacino was hilarious, although I don't know if I would give him a nomination. It must have been seen as a comback for him along with Godfather Part 3 the same year since he did nothing noteworthy throughout the 80's.
Well, he only did 5 movies in the 80s . . . but they did include Scarface and Sea of Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonline View Post
I like the scene where Al Pacino as Mumbles is not able to be understood until Tracy slows down a recording of his voice ("Big Boy did it.") and then all of a sudden, he's able to speak clearly.
Dustin Hoffman
Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Love the movie and if I had a dollar for every hour I played the game.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Well, he only did 5 movies in the 80s . . . but they did include Scarface and Sea of Love.
I completely forgot Scarface, and I love the movie, but I don't think it had yet became the cult classic that it is today.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
... Dustin Hoffman
Thanks and edited for correction. I knew both Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino were in the movie and which parts the played, but for a moment, I forgot which parts were which.