Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
More Batman?!

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 08-06-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah they are definitely gonna reboot Batman. People love it and it makes Hollywood a ton of money.

I just hope they keep the dark themes going and cast a badass to play Bruce Wayne.

I have no clue who that would be or what director I would hire either.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 08-06-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Superhero movies are a cash cow, but we're getting to the point of saturation where the studios either need to keep retelling the same stories over and over, or string together endless sequels, or start digging pretty deep into the pile of obscure comics characters. ("Who the !@&$ is the Phantom Stranger?") There's one coming out soon that stars a raccoon and a tree, for crying out loud.

So, outside of movies, most non-comics-fans can only name maybe a half dozen superheroes. It's not surprising that they'll keep putting their stories out there.

That said, Tarantino should stay away from Batman; he'll strip away any of his conscience and morality and turn him into the Punisher. Instead, Tarantino should do . . . well, the Punisher.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 AM
My top choice to direct would be Darren Aronofsky. I'd love to see what he could do with it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
My top choice to direct would be Darren Aronofsky. I'd love to see what he could do with it.
You can get an idea by reading his Batman script, back when he was directing the Batman origin story before he dropped out and was replaced with Nolan.

It was darker, grittier, and more realistic than Nolan's take. Nolan's Batman was like James Bond, and Aronofsky's Batman was like Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk+man View Post
There's a thread from late 2012 about this, but I didn't feel like bumping it and my thoughts are slightly differing ...

*snip [same rant about sequels, remakes and reboots people have for the past decade]*

yeah that was different...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus Fire View Post
... or start digging pretty deep into the pile of obscure comics characters. ("Who the !@&$ is the Phantom Stranger?") ...
The Phantom Stranger is a great under-appreciated character. What do you want to know about him?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 08-06-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry. I just thought what I had to say was a little more fleshed out and that I was speaking in broader strokes than the previous thread. I didn't feel like my rant totally fit there.

And I didn't want to add my lengthy rant that I felt would be ill-placed to a six month old thread, not to mention that there is more news about the subjects of the new and upcoming superhero/character franchises now that could foster a more in-depth discussion.

Anyways, I'm new here, maybe I made a mistake. Get rid of this thread if you want.
nah you're fine no big deal.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm of the mind they need to do an adaptation of the Arkham games. If they start with Arkham City, it could literally be a sequel to The Dark Knight Rises.

Personally, I think they should do an Arkham Asylum film. Now there is a location that hasnt been shown on screen before - not in seven films has Arkham been a featured location. A snippet in Batman Forever, a snippet in Batman Begins and that's it. All of Gotham's villains in one place, and not a single movie about it. A film where Batman is suddenly locked in the nuthouse with all the nuts is AMAZING. It could go in so many different directions.

Secondly, I would also make it very Batman-heavy. Both Iron Man 3 nd The Dark Knight Rises suffered from a lack of their franchise character and they were weaker for it. But if you have a Batman movie based on Arkham Asylum, he is never out of the suit the entire time. I mean, pick up a Batman comic book. How many pages feature Bruce Wayne? Show him in the damn suit kicking ass.

Lastly, action scenes. Whoever does this needs to ratchet up the action sequences. Fight scenes were something Nolan was pretty abysmal at.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Second lastly, in addition to new films, they need to begin a new, separate TV series on cable, like Game of Thrones or True Blood. Big time show. High production values. There's too much that just can't be explored in a summer blockbuster that you could explore with a tv series.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 08-06-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

Lastly, action scenes. Whoever does this needs to ratchet up the action sequences. Fight scenes were something Nolan was pretty abysmal at.
You're not wrong. I thought some of the fight/action scenes could of been improved. But the first fight between Bane & Batman was probably the best fight I've seen in a long time. So I'll give Nolan major props for that one.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:
You're not wrong. I thought some of the fight/action scenes could of been improved. But the first fight between Bane & Batman was probably the best fight I've seen in a long time. So I'll give Nolan major props for that one.
The fight was heart-wrenching. It wasn't a good action scene like in any of the Marvel movies or Man of Steel. It was just brutal.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
The fight was heart-wrenching. It wasn't a good action scene like in any of the Marvel movies or Man of Steel. It was just brutal.
Yeah "heart wrenching" would be the perfect word to describe it. The reason I liked it more than any of the Marvel fights was because it was so damn emotional and as you stated heart wrenching. Watching Batman get destroyed and broken like that was hard to watch. You actually feared for Bruce's life during that scene.

I couldn't say the same for Superman when he went up against Zod.

But getting back to you suggestion that the action scenes could be improved...totally agree.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Yeah "heart wrenching" would be the perfect word to describe it. The reason I liked it more than any of the Marvel fights was because it was so damn emotional and as you stated heart wrenching. Watching Batman get destroyed and broken like that was hard to watch. You actually feared for Bruce's life during that scene.

I couldn't say the same for Superman when he went up against Zod.

But getting back to you suggestion that the action scenes could be improved...totally agree.
But thats sort of the point, I guess Im making. That movie was built around that fight. There was no music. It wasn't "exciting." It was tragic. But I can honestly say no other fight scene throughout three Nolan Batman films was any good at all. Either the action scenes were broken up by HORRIBLE comic relief (It's a... tank!) or so badly cut together that that were intelligible.

Compare that to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDAh-fSM60 and you can see how much they could improve.

Last edited by adamjohnson; 06-26-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM
^^^ I loved the first fight between bats and bane in the sewer, it was so raw and emotional. Listening to Bruce grunt and struggle to overpower Bane was a side of batman we've never seen before, one thing I found effective during that fight was the quick cuts to Banes henchmen, each one had the same look of someone watching an unfair fight if that makes any sense to you guys.

As for the clip adamjohnson posted, that was fuckin badass shit.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
You can get an idea by reading his Batman script, back when he was directing the Batman origin story before he dropped out and was replaced with Nolan.

It was darker, grittier, and more realistic than Nolan's take. Nolan's Batman was like James Bond, and Aronofsky's Batman was like Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver.
I'm not a Batman fan or a Darren Aronofsky fan, but this idea sounds like something I would have been interested in seeing.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Just wanted to give my +1 to the idea of an Arkham Asylum television show. I think it would be awesome.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd like to see an R-Rated Batman, but that'll never happen!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I'd like to see an R-Rated Batman, but that'll never happen!
It's not necessary. Batman is not a R-rated superhero.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
It's not necessary. Batman is not a R-rated superhero.
I don't know, some of the Batman comics have explored some dark avenues and to truly convey the homicidal tendencies of the villians the Joker, I think you do need a harder rated Batman movie. It has been done in Britain. The first Batman with Michael Keaton was a 15 on VHS and that appears tame now. On the other hand The Dark Knight really pushed the 12A rating drawing many complaints because it was a bit too disturbing for young children.

The Batman Arkham games are all higher ratings than the films. Food for thought.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Last edited by Georgie Boy; 08-06-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I don't know, some of the Batman comics have explored some dark avenues and to truly convey the homicidal tendencies of the villians the Joker, I think you do need a harder rated Batman movie. It has been done in Britain. The first Batman with Michael Keaton was a 15 on VHS and that appears tame now. On the other hand The Dark Knight really pushed the 12A rating drawing many complaints because it was a bit too disturbing for young children.

The Batman Arkham games are all higher ratings than the films. Food for thought.
Some of them have, yes, most of them have not.

That's what's great about an awesome TV show. You wanna have a super dark episode, based on Morrison and McKean's novel?

Go ahead.

You wanna have an awesome B&W, film-noir-ish episode?

Go ahead.

Wanna jump into the future and see what it holds for Batman?

Go ahead.

Wanna tell an episode entirely from the Joker's POV? GO right ahead.

These are things you CANT do in a live-action film, because a big summer blockbuster has to sort of appeal to the widest audience possible. But a TV show - and TV in general - not only allows you to take more risks, but you can get into some serious character development.

One of the things Ive always wanted them to explore was what would happen if Batman was forced to kill, for instance the Joker. Say, there was a bomb about to destroy Gotham and the only way to stop it was to kill Joker. Batman would have a backup plan, probably deploying the Bat Family to stop it, but what if they failed, then, what if Batman failed too??

There's a couple great line about it in the Dark Knight Returns. First, Joker, when reminiscing about all the people he's killed, says he lost count of the death total. Batman says, "I didn't."

He remembers every single name of every single person Joker has killed, because he has let Joker live. That would haunt ANYONE.

Another is, when Joker was wodnering why Bats never killed him. Sure, out in the open, with everybody watching, obviously he couldnt do it then. But Batman could snatch im away in the night, wihtout anyone noticing. Then one day, people would realize they havent seen the Joker pop up in a while. And then he would just be ... gone forever. Why wouldn't Bats do that? Wouldn't you?

And if it happened, then Dick and the rest would become suspicious, and start to wonder if he did do it. And there'd be tension, ultimately leading to a real standoff between them.

In other words, there's jsut SO MUCH ROOM for development of these characters, and it's just too golden of an opportunity to pass up.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
There's a thread from late 2012 about this, but I didn't feel like bumping it and my thoughts are slightly differing ...

So, apparently, Warner Bros. plans to reboot Batman, maybe not until 2017 or later, but still, there are probably going to be more Batman movies. Again. And a new Batman could appear in Justice League, apparently. And, I know TDKR left it open to continue the story, but I am just so sick of reboots, and remakes, and all of these re-dos of stories told multiple times before.

Albeit the stories are told differently (obviously). The Dark Knight trilogy was a refreshing spin and perhaps the best superhero movie franchise ever done. But now, instead of just leaving us to consume the plentiful amounts of Batman they've thrown at us before, Hollywood wants to capitalize on the movies' successes and make more, more, more.

Star Trek, Star Wars, Iron Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, it seems like all I hear about now are continuations or 're-imaginings' of characters and stories with countless versions already created. I'm sick of it.

I don't care how well they told a story that we've seen before. I want something original, with original characters, and a wholly original story. The homogeneity of the story structures and conventions in movies today are starting to make me sick.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. A lot of people I know aren't as annoyed by this stuff and just seem to accept it. I don't really know why I'm so pissed, because I did enjoy The Avengers for what it was, and Justice League will probably keep my attention. But are these movies really worth it?
People seem to be getting used to accepting whatever they're given.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Quote:
I hope they don't do a series again. They should do separate films, not a trilogy or a saga. And I doubt they could successfully retell the origin story in an interesting way.
This x100.

An entirely new series wouldn't interest me at all, even if they got talented people involved. I'd much rather see individual Batman films that allowed directors to portray their own visions of Gotham without worrying about continuity or build-up for sequels. A lot of the appeal of new superhero movies anyway is getting to see new villains used, and since many of the Batman villains are thematically divergent, it's hard to imagine a coherent series that incorporates a wide variety of them effectively. It would be better to just have a horror/sci-fi Batman movie featuring Clayface or Killer Croc (or any of the other "monster" type villains) without worrying about how it played against a more realistic setting. On the flip side, it's hard to imagine a series that had already used a monster as a villain that then features, say, Two-Face, since a guy with a deformed face hardly seems threatening compared to a half-man, half-crocodile.

When they inevitably continue making Batman films, I sincerely hope they elect to just do one-offs instead of starting a whole new series.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
This x100.

An entirely new series wouldn't interest me at all, even if they got talented people involved. I'd much rather see individual Batman films that allowed directors to portray their own visions of Gotham without worrying about continuity or build-up for sequels. A lot of the appeal of new superhero movies anyway is getting to see new villains used, and since many of the Batman villains are thematically divergent, it's hard to imagine a coherent series that incorporates a wide variety of them effectively. It would be better to just have a horror/sci-fi Batman movie featuring Clayface or Killer Croc (or any of the other "monster" type villains) without worrying about how it played against a more realistic setting. On the flip side, it's hard to imagine a series that had already used a monster as a villain that then features, say, Two-Face, since a guy with a deformed face hardly seems threatening compared to a half-man, half-crocodile.

When they inevitably continue making Batman films, I sincerely hope they elect to just do one-offs instead of starting a whole new series.
Here would be a good place to start.

If you ignore the part about him retiring for good in the next films, you could do an adaptation of that as a direct sequel/in canon chronology, etc. Like, here's Batman fighting crime for a few years, but they've all been humans, if not complete psychopaths. And then, boom, here are all the super-humans.

It's a whole new place to go, and you could focus the story on the fact that this is a change for Batman. He wouldn't know how to face it at first and that would be awesome to watch.