Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Do you lie about what your favourite film is?

Do you claim that your favourite film is The Godfather whereas it's actually Weekend at Bernies?

I think we've all done it. As film buffs we most be not only knowledgeable about films, but able to appreciate those so called classics. 40 Blows, Casablance, Citizen Kane, the aforementioned Godafther. But I can't help but wonder, are those films really are favourites? Do you harbour illicit love for crap films like the great works of Paul W S Anderson/

I'll go. I claim my favourite film is Goodfellas. Yeah respectable right? and don't get me wrong, I do think it's awesome, but my actual favourite film is a tie between Love Actually and Notting Hill.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
My favorite film is practically a revolving door. One week it might be Apocalypse Now, the next it might be Ed Wood. Its impossible to narrow it down to ONE film. So I dont. Now-a-days I just pop off like 5 or so of my favorites in no particular order and explain that my tastes mostly go in that direction but that its not one-dimensional either - that I like a wide variety of films/genres/styles.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
No, I don't lie.
I do, however, have some movies that I'm self conscious about saying I like a lot. Just because even I myself don't think I should like it.
Such as CRANK, CRANK 2, ROCK OF AGES, HAIRSPRAY, and scores of other "bad" movies that I think are awesome.

As for favorite movie: I don't have one. I have dozens.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Definitely not. I have my favorites listed right on my profile. But I do have some guilty pleasures that I am sorta ashamed to admit loving (Newsies, Heart Breakers, Waterworld, etc etc I could go on and on)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM
too bad more people don't know weekend at bernie's

the guy who played bernie(Terry Kiser) is a huge Oakland A's fan. they started the Bernie lean because of him. they even made a song and video haha

http://youtu.be/tnT1YNbZ-_U

no, I don't lie but if I could name two favorite movies I would also mention Memento
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't lie about Heat being my favorite movie because I am not ashamed of it. Heat is my favorite movie of all time. But having said that, I have far too many favorite films to put them all into the number #1 position. And lastly, I couldn't care less who thinks my choice sucks. So, there you have it.

Last edited by God of War; 06-25-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 PM
No. If anything I think someone's lying when they say a film like Weekend at Bernie's is their favorite film. Or at least doesn't care to watch enough other films. Or it could be more attention seeking like, "Hey look at me I have such a unique opinion." OK.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Nope. Dazed & Confused has everything I could want - it's naturalistic and unforced, funny, honest, full of heart, great tunes, endlessly rewatchable, and hits home. It's like hanging out with the best friends you never knew for two hours.

I'm generally pretty blasť about classic classics. If I like something, I like something. I respect most of the standard classics but many of them are too square for my tastes. Casablanca and Citizen Kane are fine movies with a lot of history and significance between them, but they're nowhere near my personal favourites. I truly love The 400 Blows and it's nothing to do with it being a classic and everything to do with my weakness for naturalistic coming-of-age movies (and that's one of the best ones ever made).

I look for what hits home for me personally, what provokes an emotional response. And I think the films within the classics definitions often fit into a too narrow spectrum, leaving room only for the impeccably proficient, and ignoring a lot of the wild and unique, if flawed points of view out there. My favourites range the spectrum, everything from naturalistic dramas to genre exercises, to pulpy madness, to meaty filmmaking. I think we gotta be open to the fact that a film doesn't have to be without flaws for you to love it.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Nope. Dazed & Confused has everything I could want - it's naturalistic and unforced, funny, honest, full of heart, great tunes, endlessly rewatchable, and hits home. It's like hanging out with the best friends you never knew for two hours.

I'm generally pretty blasť about classic classics. If I like something, I like something. I respect most of the standard classics but many of them are too square for my tastes. Casablanca and Citizen Kane are fine movies with a lot of history and significance between them, but they're nowhere near my personal favourites. I truly love The 400 Blows and it's nothing to do with it being a classic and everything to do with my weakness for naturalistic coming-of-age movies (and that's one of the best ones ever made).

I look for what hits home for me personally, what provokes an emotional response. And I think the films within the classics definitions often fit into a too narrow spectrum, leaving room only for the impeccably proficient, and ignoring a lot of the wild and unique, if flawed points of view out there. My favourites range the spectrum, everything from naturalistic dramas to genre exercises, to pulpy madness, to meaty filmmaking. I think we gotta be open to the fact that a film doesn't have to be without flaws for you to love it.
Well said, sir.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Exactly how I feel about Almost Famous. Particularly the untitled bootleg cut.

I have to admit though to not having seen too many "classics". Some, like Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz, hold up shockingly well even by today's standards. I'm especially impressed by how well Casablanca has held up. Amazing movie.

But then there is Citizen Kane, which is a movie I admire but not really love. It's interesting and compelling on a thematic level but never pulls me in emotionally, and that is important to me.

And then there is The Grapes of Wrath which damn bored me to death. Sorry, but I kind of hated that movie.

Oh, and I have enjoyed plenty of Paul WS Anderson's movies. Event Horizon is awesome. Death Race was very entertaining. Mortal Kombat is a major guilty pleasure. So is Soldier.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Alright I cant hold it in any longer, I DO lie about what my favorite film is. Sure my profile says Seven but actually its....

Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 08-06-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Reminds me of an exchange from Friends:

"Rachel claims this is her favorite movie."
"Dangerous Liaisons!"
"Correct. Her actual favorite movie is..."
"Weekend at Bernie's."

My favorite film is Pulp Fiction... the rest are a revolving door. There are just too many.

And I feel no shame in admitting I like guilty pleasure movies. From Dusk Till Dawn is one of my all-time favorites.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't lie about my all-time favorite movies (there are 5-10) but I often lie (or exaggerate) how much I do enjoy mainstream "great" movies such as Godfather or Star Wars for example. I thought they were good movies but not great and when you say that in conversation, most people shoot your opinion down as "stupid" or "crazy" so rather than getting in an argument with people who don't watch nearly as many movies as me I just talk about the scenes I did enjoy and things of that nature.

My watching more movies than others doesn't make my opinion more valid, I just very much believe that people have their own opinions and if they think the original Star Wars movies were "great" then it's easier to let them have their opinion than it is to argue with them. You're never going to change peoples general opinions on movies.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
I don't lie about my all-time favorite movies (there are 5-10) but I often lie (or exaggerate) how much I do enjoy mainstream "great" movies such as Godfather or Star Wars for example. I thought they were good movies but not great and when you say that in conversation, most people shoot your opinion down as "stupid" or "crazy" so rather than getting in an argument with people who don't watch nearly as many movies as me I just talk about the scenes I did enjoy and things of that nature.
I too tend to exaggerate how much I like a movie for the sake of avoiding an argument. In my case though, most of my friends aren't watching films as good as the Godfather. I get dragged into pretty horrid movies sometimes, and am asked what I thought.
More recently though however I've started being honest. When I was dragged to see the Great Gatsby and a few of my friends said they really liked it, I told them how much I didn't like it.

As for lying about my favorite movies, I don't think I've ever done that. And can't think of any good reason why anyone would. My top 20 has been pretty consistent for a few years now. Sometimes I get really excited when I discover a new movie that I love, and hastily rush it up the list only to reflect on it later and deflate it's position. But that's about it lol.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM
No.

I don't like to lie.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie. However I do not have a true ranking for my other top films, especially anything that would be in my top 100. I think it kind of depends on the mood or whatever kick I get on for a particular set of films.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 AM
I get the premise of this thread. I think it goes broader than "favorite film" though. Most of us on these boards are probably more knowledgable and appreciative of great films than the average person. So our #1 favorite, bestest, greatest film is most likely one that is credible. But if we really......really listed our Top 10 Movies that we absolutely love, well there would be some real surprises.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Inglorious - thanks.

ilovemovies - Funny you say that, Almost Famous was my favourite film before Dazed & Confused :P and I've had a conversation with one of my friends before about how the two movies hit very similar territory for me.

KingofKings and MikeMovie - You guys got an interesting point, and I have to say, in this kind of reversal of the topic, I do sometimes say "it was okay" when I think a movie is pretty bad. It just comes with the fact that most of my friends in Ottawa aren't film buffs and so we go see some baaad movies (case in point, That's My Boy). But if I always said what I thought of most of those movies, I feel like I'd be *that* guy, the Debbie Downer everyone feels bummed to hang out with. So for the sake of being able to just chill, I let it go.

When I'm with my friends in Toronto who I went to film school with though, I'm brutally honest cause they are too .

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 06-27-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
KingofKings and MikeMovie - You guys got an interesting point, and I have to say, in this kind of reversal of the topic, I do sometimes say "it was okay" when I think a movie is pretty bad. It just comes with the fact that most of my friends in Ottawa aren't film buffs and so we go see some baaad movies (case in point, That's My Boy). But if I always said what I thought of most of those movies, I feel like I'd be *that* guy, the Debbie Downer everyone feels bummed to hang out with. So for the sake of being able to just chill, I let it go.
You said this better than I did. Nobody wants to be "that" guy who comes off and uppity or arrogant so in many cases it is just easier to spout off a bland, safe opinion.

... while secretly knowing you know more about film than they do
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Last edited by Georgie Boy; 08-06-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 PM
"It's not a lie if you believe it."

-George Costanza