Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 PM
TIFF 2013

That time of the year again. Ticket packages are on sale to TIFF members now. After skipping out on last year, I'm attending for pretty much the duration of the fest though I'm thinking I'll still be doing less films than previous years (probably around 15-20).

However, I'm NOT impressed at all with the new premium ticket prices - for a 6-pack, it's $362! Who knows what it'll be when you buy them as single tickets. Clearly TIFF has learned they can gouge people for as much as possible, and you just know that there will be even more screening than ever this year that are considered premium. (I was shocked when I heard a Midnight Madness film last year was premium. Utter bullshit. My buddy tells me that he's heard Colin Geddes was not happy with the decision.)

Anyway, enough bitching about the fest, I still enjoy it immensely and it's a good excuse to stay in town and visit my uni friends. Also, I'll be upgrading my accommodations drastically from previous years, as I found an amazing condo for rent that is ridiculously cheap - about the same price as I paid to stay at the Rex in the past, and way cheaper than a standard hotel during TIFF. It isn't quite as close as the Rex, but it's not too far, about a 15 minute walk from the Lightbox.

For anyone who missed it, the first film was announced a few weeks back, and it's Godfrey Reggio's (Koyaanisqatsi) latest, introduced by Steven Soderbergh with a Philip Glass score which will be played live with an orchestra. More films will start to be announced shortly I assume.

In any case, just a few movies on my wishlist:
-White Bird in a Blizzard (Gregg Araki)
-Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer)
-12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen) - although this one has just been moved up to October so I could deal without it
-Her (Spike Jonze)
-Foxcatcher (Bennett Miller)
-The Rover (David Michod)
-American Hustle (David O. Russell)
-The Zero Theorem (Terry Gilliam)
-Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt)
-Dau (Ilya Krhzhanovsky)
-Tom a la ferme (Xavier Dolan)
-The Counselor (Ridley Scott)

And a few carry-overs from other festivals I'd like to see:
-Real (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
-Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch)
-All is Lost (J.C. Chandor)
-Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn)

Who else is going this year? And what movies are you hoping for?

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 06-27-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Holy crap thats a hell of a lineup! Have fun JC and I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

One film to keep an eye out on is The Rover. Even though it has Robert Pattinson in it, it sounds really good. Apparently its a western set in Australia and its from the director of Animal Kingdom. Initially I didn't care for Animal Kingdom when I first saw it in theaters (mainly because of the lead kid in it) but after seeing it again I liked it a lot more. Plus The Rover has Guy Pearce in it too.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Holy crap thats a hell of a lineup! Have fun JC and I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

One film to keep an eye out on is The Rover. Even though it has Robert Pattinson in it, it sounds really good. Apparently its a western set in Australia and its from the director of Animal Kingdom. Initially I didn't care for Animal Kingdom when I first saw it in theaters (mainly because of the lead kid in it) but after seeing it again I liked it a lot more. Plus The Rover has Guy Pearce in it too.
Hahah sorry, that's not the line-up. No line-up yet, just my dream wishlist. The Rover looks and sounds awesome :P.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Hahah sorry, that's not the line-up. No line-up yet, just my dream wishlist. The Rover looks and sounds awesome :P.
D'oh! I'm a fucking idiot. Now I read that you mentioned thats your dreamlist lol. My bad.

But anyways, they should have some good ones for ya to see. Let me know when the actual line up is announced.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Foxcatcher is the one I'm probably looking forward to most. I'm a huge fan of Bennett Miller's first two films, I hear the script is amazing, and above all I absolutely cannot wait to see Steve Carell go so far out of his comfort zone (this is exactly the kind of role that I've been waiting to see from him).
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'll be going. Gonna try to get a P&I pass. For now I'll buy a back half pack and then, depending on how my application goes, get a 10 pack if things don't work out.

JC, did you get the condo on airbnb or something similar? I'm considering using that to rent out for a few days during the fest.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
JC, did you get the condo on airbnb or something similar? I'm considering using that to rent out for a few days during the fest.
Yeah, not airbnb but I used Roomorama. First time renting a condo instead and if it goes well, I'll probably rent condos for other trips in the future. I never heard of airbnb actually but from first look, it looks like a way more popular version of Roomorama. Thanks for the tip for the future.

I looked up the daily hotel rates for the first weekend of TIFF and just a standard room at a Holiday Inn downtown is $215 versus the condo we're renting at about $95 a night (under $50 for each of us) including the processing fee charged by the site. I definitely recommend people looking for cheaper (and better!) stays to check those kinds of sites out.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 06-27-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm gonna try my hardest to make it this year. Unfortunately, I don't have a passport and I hear it's quite expensive (for me at least) to get a new one. But I'm gonna try. It's something I want to do for sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM
After 3 straight years of attending, I don't think I will be able to attend this year. It's too bad, because I think this year's line-up is going to be really good. Out of the Furnace is the one I am particularly looking forward to (and I pretty much guarantee it will be there).
Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Bought a back half pack this weekend. Gonna hand in my P&I application this week, and depending on how that pans out among work/personal life/etc. I'll get a flex pack. Here's hoping I can be one of those assholes with lanyards this fall.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Sadly it looks like I won't be making it 6 years in a row. Money's tight and the fest and flight/accommodations has gotten more and more expensive. But i'll be following along with the schmoes that do go, love hearing everyone reactions.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Shitty to hear so many of you can't make it this year.

The initial list of GALAS and SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS have been announced. As usual, the Galas look like a mixed bag while the Special Presentations look awesome.

Keep in mind this is just an initial list, generally a few more Special Presentations and Galas will be announced at a later date. Plus all the other programmes (key ones left being Vanguard, Discovery, Wavelengths, Masters, Contemporary World Cinema, and Midnight Madness).

NA = North American Premiere
W = World Premiere
I = International Premiere
C = Canadian Premiere

American Dreams in China (Peter Chan) NA
The Art of the Steal (Jonathan Sobol) W
August: Osange County (John Wells) W
Cold Eyes (Jo Ui-seok, Kim Byung-seo) NA
The Fifth Estate (Bill Condon) W
The Grand Seduction (Don McKellar) W
Kill Your Darlings (John Krokidas) I
Life of Crime (Daniel Schechter) W
The Love Punch (Joel Hopkins) W
The Lunchbox (Ritesh Batra) NA
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (Justin Chadwick) W
Parkland (Peter Landesman) NA
The Railway Man (Jonathan Tepitzky) W
The Right Kind of Wrong (Jeremiah S Chechik) W
RUSH (Ron Howard) I
Shuddh Desi Romance (Maneesh Sharma) C
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon (Mike Myers) W

12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen) W
All is By My Side (John Ridley) W
Attila Marcel (Sylvain Chomet) W
Bad Words (Jason Bateman) W
Belle (Amma Assante) W
Blue is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche) NA
Burning Bush (Agnieszka Holland) NA
Can a Song Save Your Life (John Carney) W
Cannibal (Manuel Martin Cuenca) W
Dallas Buyers Club (Jean-Marc Vallée) W
Devil's Knot (Atom Egoyan) W
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him and Her (Ned Benson) ?
Don Hemingway (Richard Shepard) W
Don Jon (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) C
The Double (Richard Ayoade) W
Enough Said (Nicole Holofcener) W
Exit Marrakech (Caroline Link) I
Felony (Matthew Saville) W
For Those Who Can Tell No Tales (Jasmila Žbanić) W
Gloria (Sebastián Lelio) NA
Going Away (Nicole Garcia) W
Gravity (Alfonso Cuaron) NA
The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino) NA
Half a Yellow Sun (Biyi Bandele) W
Hateship Loveship (Liza Johnson) W
Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski) W
L'intrepido (Gianni Amelio) NA
The Invisible Woman (Ralph Fiennes) W
Joe (David Gordon Green) NA
Labor Day (Jason Reitman) W
Like Father, Like Son (Hirokazu Kore-eda) NA
Man of Tai Chi (Keanu Reeves) NA
MARY Queen of Scots (Thomas Imbach) NA
Mystery Road (Ivan Sen) I
Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt) NA
Omar (Hany Abu-Assad) NA
One Chance (David Frankel) W
Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch) NA
The Past (Asghar Farhadi) NA
Philomena (Stephen Frears) NA
Pioneer (Erik Skjoldbjærg) I
Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve) W
Quai d'Orsay (Bertrand Tavernier) W
REAL (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
Starred Up (David Mackenzie)
Third Person (Paul Haggis)
Those Happy Years (Daniele Luchetti) W
Tracks (John Curran) NA
Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer) NA
Violette (Martin Provost) W
Visitors (Godfrey Reggio) W
Walesa. Man of Hope. (Andrzej Wajda) NA
We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson) NA
Le Week-End (Roger Michell) W
You Are Here (Matthew Weiner) W
Young and Beautiful (François Ozon) NA

Still holding out hopes for Foxcatcher, Snowpiercer, The Rover, American Hustle, The Counselor, and Her especially to show up at some point. Pretty sure White Bird will show up somewhere regardless, Araki's films almost always play. Obviously Dolan's Tom à la ferme will play somewhere.

Regardless though, this is an awesome awesome initial line-up. On a very quick runthrough of titles I recognize, I'm most interested in Kill Your Darlings, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, The Double, Gravity, Joe, Labor Day, Like Father, Like Son, Night Moves, Only Lovers Left Alive, REAL, and Under the Skin.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-23-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM
First round of announcements is out and there are quite a few of them!

Check em out on the TIFF official site (may load slowly):

Special Presentations:

EDIT: bah, beaten by two minutes! oh well, you got links now :P

I'm really hoping to see The Congress added later.

Last edited by abishop; 07-23-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm either overthinking this when the answer is plain enough or not thinking in the right direction, but what's the difference between an International and a World premiere? I understand the difference between the two words but what's the difference in this context? A World premiere marks the film's first screening anywhere, easy enough. They make a distinction for a North American premiere and a Canadian premiere, so therefore an International premiere (in this context) means that's it been publicly screened but only on the North American continent and not in Canada? Am I being a bit slow over here or did the TIFF make up a not notable distinction to lend esteem to their festival of fun? Further, why would they do that?

Didn't they use to announce the Venice lineup first? I liked that better, because now one can make safe bets as to what's appearing in Competition across the sea. Definitely Reichardt, Moodysson, Glazer, and Wadja. You know, they take the time to honor filmmakers like Hou Hsiao-hsien, Kiarostami, Denis, Tsai Ming-liang, Zhangke, etc. It's obviously "on to the next one" at this festival, which is fine if you want to watch more than one movie a day. A lot of these films will eventually trickle to your locale in some permutation. Although, presumably one can buy single tickets and avoid the buffet effect.

I hadn't realized Godfrey Reggio had a film ready. Good for him and everyone.

Yes, to Under the Skin finally emerging. The Moodysson sounds fun. Night Moves looks top-notch; I hope Reichardt breaks through here and is granted the top-tier auteur echelon status that seems to elude her. Meek's Cutoff (a film everybody's favorite charlatan/philistine Quentin Tarantino called the worst of 2011) was a masterpiece and Wendy and Lucy was a modest masterpiece which captured 2008 and 2009 and 2010... America better than Hollywood, right around the same time they were patting themselves on the back for being "topical" by honoring Jason Reitman's devoid-of-insight, utterly inert Up in the Air. He has a new one here, of course. Young Adult had the benefit of an intermittently insightful Diablo Cody script, so I'm sure we'll see on the new one.

I don't know what to make of the Wałęsa biopic. Wadja is a good friend, apparently, and of course I have no idea how far chronologically he plans to take his film.

The Weinstein Company certainly have a knack for finding finding an Oscar-y script or film from a festival from a not-exactly-name director, i.e. John Wells, Justin Chadwick, Phyllida Lloyd, Simon Curtis, Duncan Tucker, Tom Hooper, Michel Hazanavicius. I can't wait Harvery Weinstein: Auteur to hit bookshelves next decade.

I realize there's more to be announced, but hopefully a lot of those Cannes titles show up in Toronto. Surely Nebraska and the Coens' latest, which already comes with heapings of praise. Hopefully Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian which, I think, still lacks a distributor?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Tayzlor - I think a lot of the Cannes films usually show up but in other areas beyond Special Presentations. We're sure to see a few in Masters at least, for example and probably some in Contemporary World Cinema. This is probably about a third of the films that will play. The announcements today are of the more mainstream populist fare generally. That's just the nature of the two programmes announced. You'll find a lot more of what you're looking for in Masters, Contemporary World Cinema, Vanguard, and Wavelengths, announcements for which will probably happen weekly through to August 20 (next week's announcements will be the Midnight Madness line-up).

Re: International Premiere - I believe an International Premiere is a film that has opened in only its home country but nowhere else in the world.

And yeah Toronto is certainly a people's fest more than a cinephile fest. It's not a festival based on prestige or awards. Honestly, I'm quite glad for its all-you-can-watch buffet style. The programmers are not particularly discerning which means whether you're just a casual filmgoer or a cinephile, you'll find something to your taste. You can do a lot of movies or a few. You can create a line-up with a who's who of world cinema or you can go experimental or do all populist films. Cannes and Venice and Berlin can take their exclusivity and revel in it. TIFF is for people to share in their love of movies of all kinds, no matter if they're casual filmgoers or cinephiles. That's the unique berth of Toronto in the grand scheme of festivals in the world. That's just the Canadian way to be all-inclusive.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-23-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah, TIFF is more of a publicly accessible market than a prestige festival, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not too giddy about this year's line-up so far, but my usual favourite programs haven't been announced yet. Once Wavelengths, Midnight Madness and Masters come out I'll be more excited.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Yep, I'm gonna make it this year as well, just like last year only about four days or so, the first weekend.

The line-up looks alright so far, but I echo JC and someguy, wanna see more announcements before I get too excited.

Can't wait for 12 Years A Slave and the Masters category.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Re: International Premiere - I believe an International Premiere is a film that has opened in only its home country but nowhere else in the world.
That obviously makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Yeah, yeah, I get the appeal of the TIFF and what it is and I wouldn't have it any other way. It ain't hard to tell. I just like the idea of the likes of Sokurov, Tarr, Malick, Reygadas, Martel, etc. spending years trying to make something, you know, really good, and getting exclusive attention from the cinephile community for their efforts. This still happens with the existence of Cannes/Venice/Berlin, of course. The major world premieres at Toronto typically already have distribution and really are just there to launch their marketing campaigns. That would be a criticism if the festival didn't also include those films from Venice and Cannes.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 AM
I've been rerere(etc.)watching Adam Curtis's work and cycled back around to the first episode of The Power of Nightmares and was reminded that Errol Morris had a documentary on Rumsfeld under the INTERROTRON that presumably was not unlike his documentary on/with McNamara.

I recently read that Morris attached himself to a fictional film (come on man, you're not getting any younger, now I actually have to be skeptical of one of your films) which sort of implies that his Rummy documentary is done.

All of this is to say that I hope it debuts at one these September festivals, gets nominated for an Oscar and forces Morris to spend his campaigning time on Joshua Oppenheimer.

EDIT: Joshua, not Robert, obviously
EDIT(2): It doesn't even show I edited the post, so I didn't even need to explain my edit.
EDIT(3): Okay, well now it does.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 07-25-2013 at 06:38 AM..
Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Oh, well okay

This is what happens when your first visit in the morning is joblo.com/forums and not some news site...

The Lineup from the 70th Venice Film Festival

In Competition

"Es-Stouh" (Merzak Allouache) - Algeria/France
"L"Intrepido" (Gianni Amelio) - Italy
"Miss Violence" (Alexandros Avranas) - Greece
"Tracks" (John Curran) - UK/Australia
"Via Castellana Bandiera" (Emma Dante) - Italy/Switzerland/France
"Tom A La Ferme" (Xavier Dolan) - Canada/France
"Child Of God" (James Franco) - USA
"Philomena" (Stephen Frears) - UK
"La Jalousie" (Philippe Garrel) - France
"The Zero Theorem" (Terry Gilliam) - UK/USA
"Ana Arabia" (Amos Gitai) - Israel/France
"Under The Skin" (Jonathan Glazer) - UK/USA
"Joe" (David Gordon Green) - USA
"Die Frau Des Polizisten" (Philip Groning) - Germany
"Parkland" (Peter Landesman) - USA
"The Wind Rises" (Hayao Miyazaki) - Japan
"The Unknown Known: The Life & Times Of Donald Rumsfeld" (Errol Morris) - USA
"Night Moves" (Kelly Reichardt) - USA
"Sacro Gra" (Gianfranco Rosi) - Italy
"Stray Dogs" (Tsai Ming-Liang) - Chinese Taipei/France

Out Of Competition

"Space Pirate Captain Harlock" (Shinji Aramaki) - Japan
"Gravity" (Alfonso Cuaron) - USA
"Summer 82 When Zappa Came To Sicily" (Salvo Cuccia) - Italy/USA
"Pine Ridge" (Anna Eborn) - Denmark
"The Armstrong Lie" (Alex Gibney) - USA
"Redemption" (Miguel Gomes) - Portugal (short)
"Ukraine Is Not A Brothel" (Kitty Green) - Australia
"Moebius" (Kim Ki-Duk) - South Korea
"Locke" (Steven Knight) - UK
"Unforgiven" (Lee Sang-Il) - Japan
"Wolf Creek 2" (Greg McLean) - Australia
"Amazonia" (Thierry Ragobert) - France/Brazil
"Home From Home; Chronicle Of A Vision" (Edgar Reitz) - Germany
"The Canyons" (Paul Schrader) - USA
"Che Strano Chiamarsi Federico: Scola Racconta Fellini" (Ettore Scola) - Italy
"Walesa: Man Of Hope" (Andrzej Wajd, Ewa Brodzka) - Poland
"Til Madness Do Us Part" (Wang Bing) - Hong Kong, France, Japan
"At Berkeley" (Frederick Wiseman) - USA

"Little Brother" (Serik Aprymov) - Kazakhstan
"Il Terzo Tempo" (Enrico Maria Artale) - Italy
"Je M'Appelle Hmmm..." (Agnes B) - France
"Eastern Boys" (Robin Campillo) - France
"Palo Alto" (Gia Coppola) - USA
"Ruin" (Amiel Courtin-Wilson, Michael Cody) - Australia
"Fish & Cat" (Shahram Mokri) - Iran
"We Are The Best!" (Lukas Moodysson) - Sweden/Denmark
"Wolfschildren" (Rick Ostermann) - Germany
"La Vida Despues" (David Pablos) - Mexico
"Algunas Chicas" (Santiago Palavecino) - Argentina
"Medeas" (Andrea Pallaoro) - USA/Italy
"Still Life" (Uberto Pasolini) - UK
"Piccola Patria" (Alessandro Rossetto) - Italy
"La Prima Neve" (Andrea Segre) - Italy
"Why Don't You Play In Hell?" (Sono Sion) - Japan
"The Sacrament" (Ti West) - USA
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Alex Gibney is some sort of machine, isn't he? I haven't seen his Wikileaks documentary, but I trust this Lance Armstrong one is worthwhile.

I hope that Ukraine is Not a Brothel is a documentary. It's by an Aussie, so that seems a fair assumption.

They should have placed the Japanese Unforgiven remake in Competition.

Hey, Xavier Dolan is in a competition! He must be impressing Thierry Frémaux so hard right now.

Philippe Garrel is back to being a regular on the Venice circuit after those cruel Frenchies laughed at him in 2008.

Is there some cult surrounding James Franco that I'm not privy too? That's an adaptation of his rubbish short stories by a Coppola screening in Orrizonti. Gia Coppola is the twenty-five year-old niece of Sofia Coppola. Is this her veiled, million dollar way of telling Franco that she has a crush on he? Was there demand for an adaptation of these stories outside this child of privilege? (I just went to IMDB, and the film stars or at least features Franco, which is hilarious.)

Agnès B made a film. Good for her, she probably deserves a shot from the director's chair. (Well, to quote a to-be-released Japanese film, "deserve's got nothin' to do with it" but, you know.)
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM
I still have two hours before class and even more instant coffee yet.

Nice of Venice to give Miguel Gomes a victory lap by screening a short of his after his international coming out last year.

I don't know John Curran, but he seems to want to make something good. It seems likely (don't press me on my logic) that Tracks is more Hollywoodland than a Big Festival Surprise, but let's continue hoping the latter.

You know, I'm not even sure if Tsai Ming-liang's last one (Face, the one that debuted at Cannes 2009) received a theatrical run in the U.S., but it's good to see he's back in Venice, hopefully with another masterpiece. I'm not even sure if Sokurov's Golden Lion-winning Faust received a U.S. run. It seems something at least the Cinema Guild would release.

Franco's forays into the director's chair really do reek of he reading one or two books in high school or a few years ago when he discovered The Power of Learning in a Controlled Setting. I haven't read that McCarthy (although everyone tells me I should because he and DFW seem to be the only two Important Writers people read in leisure around here) but hopefully Franco does good. I recall there being a JoBlo member who wanted to be the one to adapt Child of God. If he or she is reading this: James Franco adapted Child of God and it is playing in competition at Venice alongside Tsai Ming-liang, Hayao Miyazaki, and Kelly Reichardt.

It seems we have to sit through Billy Bob Thornton, John Hillcoat, and James Franco adaptations of Cormac McCarthy in exchange for Joel and Ethan Coen. Meanwhile Pynchon and DeLillo get Paul Thomas Anderson and David Cronenberg, and probably only those two.

There's Stephen Frears. Is it possible for one to give one's leverage to get films funded to someone else, say Terence Davies? Did y'all know that Stephen Frears was the Jury President of the best Cannes of the new millennium? On the basis of the fucking Queen is all I can gather.

It seems David Gordon Green's back from the wilderness. Prince Avalanche got good good reviews at Sundance, Best Director from Wong Kar-Wai's jury at Berlin, and now he has a new one. I'd still rather sit through these broad comedies he's been churning out over the years than give Snow Angels another go, but I'm glad he's back! Nicolas Cage, too. I'm guessing he's paid off all his island debt. If not, then I'll still be happily waiting to rent his sequel to Drive Angry from the public library.

Parkland! What is it? We'll see! It's an original script set in the hospital moments after JFK was shot. That's interesting. It's produced by Tom Hanks, a man with a nostalgic viewpoint of U.S. history. That is not interesting in the slightest.

Scanning Scarlett Johansson's filmography, it seems there's no precedent for Under the Skin. She probably secured financing for Glazer. Good for her and him and I hope the film's a masterpiece or, at the very least, a film that allows Glazer the chance to make another film. I'll be cheering for that or Kelly Reichardt.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 07-25-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Venice thoughts:

Fuck Xavier Dolan. Fuck him.

Of course James Franco will have his movies at these fests. He's the next perfect representation of how, no matter how much we would hope otherwise, these prestige festivals are about privilege and attracting press more than talent. I can't wait for the year Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi and him have movies playing together in competition at Cannes.

Really interested in seeing Under The Skin. I hope it's great.

I have a feeling that Joe will be bad. Just a gut feeling.

Will see the shit out of new Reichardt, Morris and Miyazaki's films of course.

And I'm very happy to see Tsai is back with feature length work. One of the most challenging filmmakers out there, but he'll always be one of my favs.

For OOC, interested in Gravity and Wolf Creek 2. Part of me is annoyed at how Wiseman gets put into these slots outside of competition. Anyone remember when Boxing Gym played Director's Fortnight? Plus I really need to check out some Wang Bing films.

As for Orrizonti, all I want to see is new Sion Sono and Ti West. The Land of Hope bored me to tears, but Himizu was vastly underrated, and Ti West is the best American horror director working today. I'll fight you on that.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Very excited for At Berkeley (from probably my favorite working director), Visitors, Gravity, Blue is The Warmest Color, Burning Bush, Like Father, Like Son, The Past, The Unknown Known, and Night Moves.

Quite curious about 12 Years A Slave, August: Osage County, Labor Day, Only Lovers Left Alive, Pine Ridge, Unforgiven, and Prisoners (very good script from a director whose last film was excellent, though the casting doesn't inspire confidence and the trailer didn't do much for me ).

Glad to see Joe playing both festivals. Prince Avalanche is the best comedy so far this year and David's best work since George Washington, Joe is a pretty dark film that aside from the cinematography is kind of a departure for Green, but I expect it to equal or surpass Avalanche. David is back on track and then some.

Hope to be pleasantly surprised by many more I don't know much about of course. As ever, I won't be attending Toronto this year, but I hope to in the near future and while I understand some of the complaints about the populism of the lineup, I think there's more than enough there for cinephiles to be jazzed about and there are still more announcements to come.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 08-30-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Good to hear your thoughts on Joe are positive QUENTIN. That's the #1 ticket of the fest for my friends and I as they're big Cage and Gordon Green pre-Sitter/Your Highness fans - two of them lined up for five hours for the Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans screening so we could get as close seats to Herzog and Cage as possible.

Really hoping the Reichardt movie is great. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced but in addition, my friend invested a significant chunk of money in it. He was disappointed when they didn't end up going to Cannes. He also read the script and said it was a very good read, but more conventional than her previous films. Big fan of Wendy & Lucy but I still haven't gotten around to the rest of her filmography yet.

Purely for myself, Under the Skin is easily my most anticipated at the fest, with REAL shortly behind.

someguy - not a Dolan fan? I really enjoyed I Killed My Mother but that's the only one I've seen of his so far. Tom à la ferme sounded pretty interesting to me though.

Excited to see the Miyazaki is playing Venice - hoping it'll come to TIFF (maybe in Masters or CWC?)

I've read rumors that the Gibney Armstrong doc and the Errol Morris Rumsfeld doc will also be coming to Toronto.

Surprised to see still no Foxcatcher, Her, or The Rover showing up at either fest. Still possible they'll pop up in the next batch of Special Presentations announcements for Toronto but I guess maybe they're holding out for Telluride or another American fest. If we get at least one of these at TIFF, I'll be super happy.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-26-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah, someguy, you don't like CANADA'S FILMMAKER.

Well, your friend is doing God's work by giving that money to Reichardt's film (in essence) and not some charity. Hopefully, the film gains prestige and profit. I'm sure the script to "Meek's Cutoff" seemed/seems more conventional than the Beckett-in-the-American West riff we ended up getting. Regardless, it can still be very good and conventional (obviously) and hey, it's timely. Reichardt's talented enough that, if it sucks, it will be still interesting and of worth.

JCPhoenix, you know very well Errol Morris and Alex Gibney are coming to Toronto. Who unveils their English-language film at Venice and calls it a day? Actually Wikipedia seems to suggest more than I thought, more than just Vincent Gallo, who called it a career.

It seems the Spike Jonze film is just to the left-of-center (computer/human romances not being typical 'plex fare) enough to basically have to be at Toronto to get advanced word out, assuming it's good. It's probably also a decent candidate to be the so-called surprise competition film at Venice. Or if it's not quite there, the NYFF.

The same applies for the Bennett Miller film. Miller has Oscar pedigree, and Annapurna (?) gets the task of marketing Steve Carrell as a psychopath. You can't just shock doctrine the theatres with this unconventional (to the average moviegoer) material. Weinstein did something similar with The Master last year and probably cost the film some money and awards momentum.

I'd rather these films debut at one of the two festivals because I cannot be bothered to chart their progress at festivals otherwise.

Quentin, you've successfully sold me off Parkland. No, I'll probably see it with my Dad; he goes for those nostalgic American history movies. That, and the JFK assassination wills always inspire fascination...I'm imagining Tom Hanks looking at a calendar and leafing through a pile of JFK-assassination scripts. It turns out that the 22nd of November is a Friday. Let's go wide with this thing and reflect on the End of Idealism with Zac Efron and Tom Welling. Too bad they closed the museum on the 6th floor of the Depository building; it'd make a good place for a gala.

I'll definitely be seeing August: Osage County, but only because of my parents, really. I know Osage County: it's the county directly south of the county I grew up in....aaaand my mother's been telling me about seeing Julia Roberts at the Sonic in Arkansas City and etcetera. The movie could be good. I don't know the play but like Letts and liked Killer Joe, the film. Actually, it probably has a chance at being very watchable.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 07-26-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM
I've gone over this before, but Dolan is a brat whose filmmaking is like watching shitty scrapbooking. I did not care for Les Amours Imaginaires, and I didn't finish I Killed My Mother. He fully intended Laurence Anyways to be his 'masterpiece,' bloated runtime and all, but lost his shit when it didn't get into the main competition.

And Tayzlor, we both know that CANADA'S FILMMAKER is James Cameron
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Tayzlor - re Gallo - Hahah I actually saw the one screening of Promises Written in Water that managed to squeeze through at TIFF before he stole back the film and left.

Afflicted - Derek Lee and Cliff Prowse W
All Cheerleaders Die - Lucky McKee and Chris Sivertson W
Almost Human - Joe Begos W
The Green Inferno - Eli Roth W
Oculus - Mike Flanagan W
R100 - Hitoshi Matsumoto W
Rigor Mortis - Juno Mak NA
Why Don't We Play in Hell - Sion Sono NA
The Station - Marvin Kren W

10th film to be announced in a few weeks (Geddes had some last minute problems locking it up apparently today)

On initial look, I like this line-up better than some previous years. Like the lack of sequels or franchises, etc. Shocked in a good way that Sion Sono's new one is playing Midnight Madness. Also blindsided by a new Hitoshi Matsumoto - did not see that coming. Symbol was one of my favourite Midnight Madness surprises ever and ended up being one of my three favourites of the fest that year. And Big Man Japan is great in its own way.

Everything looks at least intriguing to me, minus Almost Human (based on the trailer) and Afflicted (to be fair, the latter one barely has a presence online). That's probably the most movies I've ever been at least somewhat interested in for Midnight Madness - and we don't even have the 10th film announced yet. If we're going in order of the tweets, All Cheerleaders Die is probably the opening night film (which is the night I'll miss as I'm only arriving in Toronto on Friday, during the day).

A Story of Children and Film - Mark Cousins, United Kingdom
Ain't Misbehavin' - Marcel Ophuls NA
At Berkeley - Frederick Wiseman NA
Beyond the Edge - Leanne Pooley W
Burt's Buzz - Jody Shapiro W
The Dark Matter of Love - Sarah McCarthy NA
The Dog - Allison Berg and Frank Keraudren W
Faith Connections - Pan Nalin W
Filthy Gorgeous: The Extraordinary World of Bob Guccione - Barry Avrich W
Finding Vivian Maier - Charlie Siskel and John Maloof W
Hi-Ho Mistahey! - Alanis Obomsawin W
Ignasi M. Ventura Pons W
Jodorowsky's Dune - Frank Pavich NA
The Last of the Unjust - Claude Lanzmann NA
The Mayor - Emiliano Altuna Fistolera C
Midway - Chris Jordan W
Mission Congo - David Turner and Lara Zizic W
The Square (Al Midan) - Jehane Noujaim W
Tim’s Vermeer - Penn & Teller W
The Unknown Known - Errol Morris NA
Unstable Elements - Madeleine Sackler W
When Jews Were Funny - Allan Zweig W

Reportedly, there are a few more docs to be announced but in other programmes. Still hoping for the Armstrong doc somewhere but not sure where it would go if it was playing...

Blue Ruin, Jeremy Saulnier NA
Borgman, Alex van Warmerdam NA
Celestial Wives of the Meadow Mari - Alexey Fedorchenko C
The Fake - Yeon Sangho W
Horns - Alexandre Aja W
People in Places - Juan Cavestany W
PROXY - Zack Parker W
The Sacrament - Ti West NA
Sapi - Brillante Ma Mendoza W
Sex, Drugs, and Taxation - Christoffer Boe I
Soul - Chung Mong-Hong - I
The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears - Helene Cattet, Bruno Forzani, NA
Thou Gild'st the Even - Onur Ünlü NA
We Gotta Get Out of This Place - Simon Hawkins, Zeke Hawkins W

Definite interest in Jodorowsky's Dune, Horns, The Sacrament, and The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. Have to look up more on the rest...

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-30-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Check all that nonsense of me not going this year. Worked some things out and Ill be attending the fest for my 6th year in a row. Super excited.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Glad you're back on board this year Katsumoto. Always great to get more of the schmoe buzz on movies during the fest.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
I've gotta say that as a very long time TIFF attendee, this is probably the least excited i've ever been about a film lineup - especially 4 programs partially announced.

I can't name one film out of all that which is on my "must see" list.

There are a few that peak my interest and while I'm certain that I'll get more interested as I read more and more info is released, it just seems... very blah this year.

On the heels of last year, Vanguard once again seems to be used as a daytime version of midnight madness. Makes me wish they hadn't done away with the Visions program.

Here's hoping there are some treasures in the Masters.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Well, yeah but .. even though it's coming out soon, 12 Years A Slave is surely a must.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Yay new Gotz Spielmann and Tsai Ming-Liang, but as for the rest....ehhhh

Really hoping Masters pulls out the stops this year. That, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the last MM title is The Raid 2
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM
The added GALAs and Special Presentations were kind of weak. Some possibly interesting stuff but pretty much no more must-sees.

Where's Foxcatcher, The Rover, White Bird in a Blizzard, A Most Wanted Man? Any of those four showing up after this point would make my day but it doesn't seem likely anymore as I believe all the GALAs and Special Presentations have now been announced.

Never had a ton of hope for The Counselor or American Hustle but I'm guessing they're out.

Some of these movies must be holding out for a Telluride exclusive. And I guess the others are just skipping the fall fest circuit altogether. White Bird was the one I thought for sure would show up but maybe Araki is waiting to unleash it at Sundance.

Was disappointed to see Her was out when the NY Film Fest snatched it up along with Walter Mitty and Captain Phillips.

Nymphomaniac, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Nebraska will probably show up in Masters I assume. It would be amazing if Snowpiercer played in Masters but it feels too genre possibly (then again, 13 Assassins played this category) and with the reports of the Weinsteins messing with it, it doesn't seem like it'll play any fests. Guess Zero Theorem could play in this category as well.

Contemporary World Cinema was a bit of a disappointment this year. Usually there are a few more immediately recognizable filmmakers in there and more interesting loglines.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 08-14-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Nymphomaniac, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Nebraska will probably show up in Masters I assume. It would be amazing if Snowpiercer played in Masters but it feels too genre possibly (then again, 13 Assassins played this category) and with the reports of the Weinsteins messing with it, it doesn't seem like it'll play any fests. Guess Zero Theorem could play in this category as well.

Contemporary World Cinema was a bit of a disappointment this year. Usually there are a few more immediately recognizable filmmakers in there and more interesting loglines.
Good to see i'm not the only one feeling a bit let down by this year's selection. As far as Nymphomaniac, I think nearly all of Von Trier's films have played at TIFF, so i was hopeful, but i read an article that the world premiere of the film is set for December in (iirc) Copenhagen.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
Good to see i'm not the only one feeling a bit let down by this year's selection. As far as Nymphomaniac, I think nearly all of Von Trier's films have played at TIFF, so i was hopeful, but i read an article that the world premiere of the film is set for December in (iirc) Copenhagen.
For some reason I had a brain meltdown and thought Nymphomaniac had already played Cannes. A world premiere seems less likely, especially with no sign of it at Venice. Sounds like you're right as much as it bums me to say it.

Also, sounds like The Rover is most likely out. Back in late July, one of the producers tweeted back to someone asking if it would play at TIFF13 that it was still in sound post. Could still have been finished up but judging by the fact that they responded with that, it doesn't sound likely.

This would be completely random but it would be awesome if Frank (with Fassbender) played Discovery. The director's made a couple films but he still probably qualifies as an emerging director as far as this programme goes.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 08-19-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM
For some reason I had a brain meltdown and thought Nymphomaniac had already played Cannes. A world premiere seems less likely, especially with no sign of it at Venice. Sounds like you're right as much as it bums me to say it.
Well, every year since some year in the early 2000s, the Venice Film Festival has had a surprise film screened in competition, with the film announced typically the day the festival starts. The film was almost always Asian, with the most famous example being Jia Zhangke's Still Life, which took the top prize in 2006. When the new artistic director took over last year, he continued this tradition, although with Paul Thomas Anderson's very American The Master, which might have been announced in early August (presumably due to uproar over its non-showing in the first announcement?).

All of that is to say: I would not be surprised if Nymphomaniac plays Venice in competition. Every one of von Trier's feature films since his first, 1984's The Element of Crime have competed at Cannes, a remarkable run, really. 1987's Epidemic showed up in the Certain Regard and the rest competed for the Palm. The lone exception is that 2006's The Boss of it All---by far, von Trier's most marginal feature, something he himself seems to be aware of---did not play a major festival, let alone Cannes. The guy just loves his films to compete; one recalls him flipping off and trash-talking Polanski for awarding Europa merely "the third-place prize" (his competition included sublime films from Rivette, Kieslowski, Pialat and two really good ones from the Coens and Angelopoulos, but nevermind).

If the film will be ready for Denmark in early December, then why not Venice? It's a major international co-production that a ton of people want to see. It'll get the people going, etc. His handlers, marketers, distributors, street team, whatever certainly canvassed Cannes. It almost seems a waste to have this not debut on the international circuit. Plus, he's persona not grata at Cannes---maybe Jacob and Fremaux take that seriously?

It's all speculation and wishful thinking on my part, though, but I'd submit it's not implausible, assuming the film's done.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Also, I assume Noah Baumbach's saving his latest for Sundance. Which is cool, especially after this year's really good one. Still itching to see Computer Chess.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
While I'm here, the Masters selection:

A Touch of Sin (Tian zhu ding) Jia Zhangke, China/Japan North American Premiere

Abuse of Weakness (Abus de Faiblesse) Catherine Breillat, France/Belgium/Germany World Premiere

Bastards (Les Salauds) Claire Denis, France North American Premiere

Closed Curtain (Parde) Kambozia Partovi and Jafar Panahi, Iran North American Premiere

Concrete Night Pirjo Honkasalo, Finland/Sweden/ Denmark World Premiere

Home From Home – Chronicle of a Vision (Die Andere Heimat - Chronik einer Sehnsucht) North American Premiere Edgar Reitz, Germany/France

How Strange to be Named Federico: Scola Narrates Fellini (Che strano chiamarsi Federico: Scola racconta Fellini) Ettore Scola, Italy International Premiere

Moebius Kim Ki-duk, South Korea North American Premiere

Norte, The End of History (Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan) Lav Diaz, Philippines North American Premiere

Our Sunhi (Uri Sunhi) Hong Sangsoo, South Korea North American Premiere
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, if those are the "masters" of cinema, we're in a sad state indeed. The one thing that makes me VERY VERY VERY happy is that Jason Reitman is doing another live read! Last year's American Beauty read with was one of the highlights of the festival for me. Also.. Spike Jonze will be there to talk.. but not to show Her.. dafuq?

Anyhow first draft at a long and short lists have yielded an only anglo-centric bunch of films, which is rather odd for me. Here is my longlist, with an asterisk to denote shortlist. I'll still have to make some adjustments based on schedule conflicts and any last minute buzz.

I also have an absolutely TERRIBLE purchase window on the very last day of preoders

* 12 Years a Slave
The Art of the Steal
Attica Marcel
Bad Words
* Beyond the Edge
* Blue is the Warmest Colour
Blue Ruin
* Cannibal
The Double
* Enemy
The Fifth Estate
* The Grand Seduction