Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Favorite Bryan Cranston FILM Performances

Obviously we all love Bryan Cranston's role as Walter White in the sublime Breaking Bad, and many of us enjoyed his work in Malcolm in the Middle as well (a complete antithesis of Breaking Bad which truly illustrates his range).

He's also had a much stronger film presence since Breaking Bad, and while he's never gotten the huge roles he deserves, he's certainly stolen scenes in plenty of recent flicks. So, what are your favorite films/performances by Bryan Cranston in a film? For me, it's:

1. Drive
2. Detachment
3. Argo
4. Little Miss Sunshine
5. Total Recall [2012]

I'm also throwing out special mentions of his voice work in Batman: Year One as Commissioner Gordon and Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted as the tiger Vitaly.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 AM
1.) Breaking Bad
2.) Breaking Bad
3.) Breaking Bad
4.) Breaking Bad
5.) Breaking Bad
6.) Breaking Bad
7.) Breaking Bad
8.) Breaking Bad
9.) Breaking Bad
10.) Breaking Bad

Honorable mention: Breaking Bad
Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 AM
That's the thing, he doesn't really have a film performance that stands out. While I haven't seen it, I understand he's awesome in "Breaking Bad."

I did like him in Argo; he was funny while also contributing important pieces to the movie.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:48 PM
As small as his roles were, I thought he was a standout in both Drive and Argo and deserved more recognition than the costars who ended up getting more buzz, but at least Albert Brooks was doing something against type.

Other than that though, I don't remember Cranston much in anything else, but I'm sure he'll get some great film roles when Breaking Bad ends.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
He was quite good in both Argo and Drive. But he was pretty terrible in Total Recall but to be fair EVERYBODY in that movie sucked. It was just a bad movie, period.

I don't remember him even being in Little Miss Sunshine.

He's great in Malcolm in the Middle and Breaking Bad, but a part from those and some memorable guest appearances (The X-Files), movie wise, he hasn't had too many memorable roles. I do find it amusing that the episode of The X-Files that he guest starred in is titled Drive.

I'm actually looking at his IMDB page right now, and am quite surprised by some of the things he's been in. He's got a tiny part in Saving Private Ryan. Don't remember what. Must give that movie a re-watch to see if I can recognize him.

Was surprised to see that he was in an episode of NOWHERE MAN. I have that show on DVD, so I'm definitely going to watch his episode.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Drive is my only pick since his other films have been awful(John Carter, Total Recall)

I'm hoping he kicks ass in Godzilla.

And I'd like to see a film where he is the leading actor to really show off his acting chops and get an Oscar
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
As small as his roles were, I thought he was a standout in both Drive and Argo and deserved more recognition than the costars who ended up getting more buzz, but at least Albert Brooks was doing something against type.
I agree with this. I certainly didn't think he was award-worthy in either movie, but I at least thought he was more memorable than his more acclaimed costars (Brooks and Arkin, respectively). He's been a solid supporting player in recent movies, but Breaking Bad is still the only role that's really allowed him to shine thus far (although he was funny on Malcolm in the Middle, from what little I've seen of it). Let's hope that he gets juicier big-screen roles once Breaking Bad is over.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
He was quite good in both Argo and Drive. But he was pretty terrible in Total Recall but to be fair EVERYBODY in that movie sucked. It was just a bad movie, period.
I didn't mind the Total Recall remake. I thought it was an okay action thriller with decent performances.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I'm actually looking at his IMDB page right now, and am quite surprised by some of the things he's been in. He's got a tiny part in Saving Private Ryan. Don't remember what. Must give that movie a re-watch to see if I can recognize him.
He played the one-armed guy who discovered that all the other Ryan brothers were killed.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
1.) Breaking Bad
2.) Breaking Bad
3.) Breaking Bad
4.) Breaking Bad
5.) Breaking Bad
6.) Breaking Bad
7.) Breaking Bad
8.) Breaking Bad
9.) Breaking Bad
10.) Breaking Bad

Honorable mention: Breaking Bad
Quentin has an excellent list -- which I endorse -- except that I would make the following two changes:

1. I would switch the rankings of items #7 and #9; and
2. I would replace "Drive" as the "honorable mention."

Accordingly, my revised list would be as follows:

1.) Breaking Bad
2.) Breaking Bad
3.) Breaking Bad
4.) Breaking Bad
5.) Breaking Bad
6.) Breaking Bad
7.) Breaking Bad
8.) Breaking Bad
9.) Breaking Bad