Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Top 3 Favorite Films of The Summer

Although I would absolutely love going to the movies every week to go see the newest movie being released, I do not have a ton of money so I have to kind of selective when it comes to going to the theaters. Anyway, in 2013, I have seen 13 films in theaters. They are as follows: Iron Man 3, Now You See Me, Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast & Furious 6, This Is The End, Man of Steel, White House Down, The Heat, Pacific Rim, The Wolverine, Elysium and Kick-Ass 2. However, there were plenty of films I could not go see in theaters as soon as they came out, such as The Place Beyond the Pines, Monsters University, World War Z, Only God Forgives, Fruitvale Station, Despicable Me 2, 2 Guns, Lee Daniels' The Butler, The World's End and You're Next. Anyway, I would like to know what your top 3 favorite films of the summer were and why. My list is as follows: 1.) Pacific Rim, 2.) Star Trek Into Darkness and 3.) Man of Steel.

(By the way, I enjoyed every film I saw over the course of the summer, which means this list was quite hard to narrow down into three choices.)

Anyway, Man of Steel was my third favorite film of the summer for multiple reasons. First, I loved that audiences finally got to see the story of Superman (even though everyone knows his origin story) told in a way that made total sense. What I mean by this is it completely made sense why Kal-El was portrayed as a person who was isolated and felt as though he did not have a true sense of purpose despite possessing these unbelievable abilities. After all, he is all alone on a planet where there is absolutely no one who comes close to identifying with him, which is why Jonathan Kent continues to tell him to hide who he truly is because the world will not accept him for who he is if they found out what he could do. As far as the acting goes, Henry Cavill did a fantastic job playing Kal-El. Russell Crowe did a fantastic job playing Jor-El. Michael Shannon did a fantastic job playing General Zod. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane did fantastic jobs playing the parents of Clark Kent. Amy Adams was at least tolerable as Lois Lane. I know many people have mixed feelings about her being cast as Lois Lane and whatnot, but there is one thing that many people cannot deny about the film: how visually stunning it was. Director Zach Snyder (300 and Watchmen) did an amazing job putting together these amazing action sequences that felt as though Superman was actually being Superman with no holds barred. Plus, who will ever forget the climax fight sequence between Superman and General Zod? By the way, based on what I have read all over the Internet, I understand why people were so upset with the fact that Kal-El snapped the neck of General Zod. Here is why I believe all this criticism is unwarranted. Kal-El gave General Zod plenty of time to stop trying to kill the family he was trying to kill. He intently warned him, but General Zod would not listen. So it is completely justified why Kal-El killed him because it was either that or every member of the family would have been killed. I know Superman does not kill and I understand why he does not kill anyone, but I believe the ends justified the means. After all, he felt so terrible about it afterward. Anyway, I loved this movie and I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel to be released on July 17, 2015.

Star Trek Into Darkness was my second favorite film of the summer for multiple reasons. First, I loved Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of the fan-favorite villain, Khan. Everything about his performance was so menacing. In my opinion, I believe a legitimate argument can be made as to why his performance as Khan should be at least considered for best villain performance of all-time with the likes of Heath Ledger and David Prowse/James Earl Jones. Second, the acting was so awesome. Practically all of them did a fantastic job and I really felt what these characters were going through, especially toward the end. The action sequences were amazing and the cinematography was fantastic. Frankly, I was never a fan of Star Trek before J.J. Abrams decided to direct the reboot of Star Trek. Before these two movies, the franchise was literally dead, which is why so many more people in this particular generation who never saw the original incarnations of Star Trek became fans of the franchise. However, it must be noted that these new incarnations feel like the Star Wars versions of Star Trek, which is why I believe Disney made the best choice in deciding to sign J.J. Abrams on to direct the next incarnation of the Star Wars franchise. I do not think anyone else would do a better job with it than he will, but this is just my honest opinion.

Finally, Pacific Rim was my favorite film of the summer for multiple reasons. However, before I explain my choice, I must be noted that I expected this movie to be horrible. I do not know why, but those were my initial reactions, but when I saw it I absolutely loved every second of it. First, it was an absolute visual spectacle. I had the luxury of seeing the film in IMAX 3D and I can honestly say the film would get better and better if the screen continued to become bigger and bigger. However, the story was quite light, but, to be honest, when audiences see these kinds of movies they should not be expecting deep narratives with ultra-rich characters. If you are, you are an idiot. If you are reading this, ask yourself why anyone would or would not see Pacific Rim. If you said anything other than wanting to watch epic fight sequences between gigantic robots and gigantic monsters, then you clearly would not enjoy this movie. When I saw this movie, I honestly felt as though I was transported back to my days of childhood to see my toy box full of these action figures come to life. In my honest opinion, this movie would really appeal to adolescent males and adult males who spent part, if not, their entire childhoods on their own. This is a dream come true for those kinds of people. Anyway, as far as the acting goes, Charlie Hunnam did a good job with what he was given to do, but it is Idris Elba's character who stole the show for me. Like Idris Elba, Ron Perlman is awesome in anything he is cast in, especially Sons of Anarchy, Hellboy, Hellboy II: The Golden Army and Drive. In fact, he was probably cast in this film because he and director Guillermo del Toro had previously worked together on Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Nonetheless, his presence in the film definitely elevated how awesome the film was. As for the computer-generated images and the visual effects, they are practically flawless. Director Guillermo del Toro really wanted to show how massive the Jaegars and the Kaiju are in comparison with people and the environments around them, which was displayed perfectly during the sequence in which the Jaegar is dragging the oil tanker down the street only to pick it up with both hands and use it as a baseball bat on the Kaiju. In addition, I love how there was practicality in many aspects of the film. For example, when the Jaegars and the Kaiju are fighting one another, they take a few seconds to hit one another because they are so massive, therefore they are slow. Anyway, when it comes down to it, I absolutely love this movie and I highly recommend it. It was truly my favorite film of the summer.

If you finished reading all of this, I absolutely commend you because I know I tend to write long paragraphs and whatnot. Anyway, I really want to know what your top three films of the summer were and why? As per Jeremy Jahns, "comment below, let me know!"
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahHelfrich23 View Post
Although I would absolutely love going to the movies every week to go see the newest movie being released, I do not have a ton of money so I have to kind of selective when it comes to going to the theaters. Anyway, in 2013, I have seen 13 films in theaters.
Sorry to hear about your money problems. That's one aspect of American cinematic culture that is beyond lousy. If you move to Paris you can just buy yourself a cinema card or pack of ten anytime tickets and watch unlimited theatrical releases at a pretty reasonable flat rate.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Really? That is so crazy! Anyway, what were your top three films of the summer and why?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Mud [Jeff Nichols]
This one surprised me. I loved Take Shelter but the trailers made this look like a very by-the-numbers drama that lacked any sort of subtlety. It actually ended up being one of my favorite films of the year, a brilliant drama with great performances from both the children and from Matthew McConaughey.

The World's End [Edgar Wright]
This was, by far, my most anticipated film of 2013, and it delivered for sure. While not as funny as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, The World's End brings more hilarious antics, with a great lead performance by Simon Pegg and a wonderful supporting cast. There's also a surprising amount of heart here, with Pegg's character being more emotionally-complex than one might expect from a lead in a comedy.

Berberian Sound Studio [Peter Strickland]
As far as I'm concerned, Berberian Sound Studio may as well be a David Lynch film. It's incredibly eerie and visceral, a great tribute to both surreal filmmakers and Italian horror filmmakers. The plot is thin but the movie is always tense, and as a viewer you're never exactly sure why. Peter Strickland has crafted a brilliant and fascinating thriller that taps into the rawest part of the human psyche.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Man of Steel
Oblivion
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't mean to be that guy, but I would like to get a good discussion going on here. Anyway, you forgot to mention why those films were your favorite of the summer.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM
To be honest with you, I have never heard of your third favorite film of the summer. In addition, I do not think Mud was a summer movie, but nonetheless I am glad you enjoyed those films. I definitely believe Matthew McConaughey has earned the right to win an Oscar this year because he has delivered (or will deliver) a fantastic performance in every film with him in it this year, which I believe should be acknowledged by the Academy. Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Pacific Rim - This film was just unapologetic & simplistic fun. There was no pretensions to this film, and it had a heart as big as its monsters & robots.
8/10

Star Trek into Darkness - Not as good as the first one, and the final act was kind of a lame rip of Wrath of Kahn, but still, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Good characters, solid drama, and great action.
7/10

The World's End - A great way to end a summer of unprecedented mediocrity. Not as laugh out loud funny as their previous films, but still a damn good movie. It starts off kind of slow, but when it picks up it is just a blast till the end.
8/10
Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Love going to the movie theater and saw more movies this summer in the theater than any summer ever. Too bad it was an overall weak summer as far as quality goes.

Top Three:
1. Man of Steel
2. Fast and Furious 6
3. The Wolverine / Star Trek into Darkness
Honorable Mentions: Pain & Gain, The Great Gatsby, This is the End, World War Z, The Place Beyond the Pines.

Worst Three:
1. The World's End (worst movie I've seen in years)
2. The Hangover 3
3. Pacific Rim / Iron Man 3
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Best:
1. This is The End
2. Pacific Rim
3. The Wolverine/Iron Man 3

Worst:
1. Elysium
2. Fast and Furious 6
3. Man of Steel

Dissapointing summer full of underperformers, the difference in rating between my #2 and #3 is pretty big. Really one of the worst summers and just years for movies and film so far... maybe the worst so far in my entire film conscious life.

I usually have a top 10 favorite movies of the year list by this point in September. Which then becomes a list of movies likely to get bumped by "award friendly" films, but quite a few years recently movies that are in my top 5 at this point don't get bumped or moved. I ended up seeing 3 of my final top 5 picks in May last year. Never the less the point I'm trying to make is I don't even have a top 5 best movies of the year yet because I don't bother putting films I give less than an 8 to on the list. Only 4 films that I would give an 8 to this year so far: Beyond the Pines, Spring Breakers, This is The End and... Shit I think there's a fourth but I'm pulling a blank....

Last edited by DareDevil; 09-12-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Best:

1. ST: Into Darkness
2. Riddick
3. Pacific Rim

(tbh, i don't even know if that's the order i'd put them in. i enjoyed all three a great deal)

Worst:

1. Pain & Gain - i have pretty high tolerance, but i couldn't finish watching this crap.
2. Elysium - not because it's bad, but because it was a huge disappointment
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't consider Pain and Gain to be a summer seeing as it came out in April. Same with Oblivion, Mud (which I haven't seen yet anyway but will very soon), The Place Beyond the Pines

My top 3 movies of the summer:

1. The Conjuring
2. Iron Man 3
3. Elysium

Honorable mentions go to War World Z, White House Down, Closed Circuit, 2 Guns, Now You See Me and Fast & Furious 6.

Worst movies of the summer:

1. Getaway
2. Star Trek Into Darkness
3. R.I.P.D.

With Dishonorable mentions going to This is the End and Man of Steel, neither of which were bad, just disappointing. In fact, Getaway is the only really bad movie I saw. The other two movies in the bottom 3 are just mediocre and incredibly disappointing.

Summer movies I still have to catch: The Hangover Part III, The Great Gatsby, The East, After Earth, Monsters University, The Purge, Despicable Me 2, Pacific Rim, Grown Ups 2, The Bling Ring, Before Midnight, The Way Way Back, The Spectacular Now, Fruitvale Station, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Epic, Turbo, Prince Avalanche, Shadow Dancer, You're Next, Frances Ha, Blue Jasmine, Only God Forgives, The Kings of Summer, The Canyons, Lovelace, Short Term 12, In a World. . ., What Maisie Knew, The To-Do List, Girl Most Likely, The Iceman, Redemption among other movies I'm probably forgetting.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Best/Most Fun movies of the summer:

1. The Wolverine
2. Iron Man 3
3. Pacific Rim

Honorable mentions go to World War Z, Much Ado About Nothing and This Is The End.

Worst movies of the summer:

1. The Lone Ranger
2. Elysium
3. R.I.P.D.

With Dishonorable mentions going to Man of Steel, Now You See Me and 2 Guns.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Since we are also posting worst.

My worst of Summer 2013:

The Lone Ranger - This is a $250million cowboy movie. That alone speaks volumes for how overblown this film was. A few enjoyable moments, a fun ending action scene, but the rest was so boring & overflowing with pointlessness.
5/10

Hangover III - Better than the second film, but not by much. The original was so funny & entertaining, so what happened with the sequels? Oh yeah, some movies & concepts just aren't capable of being a franchise, no matter how well received the original might be.
5/10

Man of Steel - Biggest disappointment since 98's Godzilla. The effects were good, and Cavill was a solid Superman, but everything else falls apart. The movie opens with a 15-20 minute action scene, gives us about 30 minutes of disjointed & poorly written story, then the rest of the film is one single redundant action scene. There just wasn't anything there, it was one of the emptiest films I have ever seen.
4/10
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Best 3:

1. The Conjuring
2. The World's End
3. Man of Steel/Star Trek Into Darkness

Honorable Mentions: Riddick, The Wolverine, (up until the ludicrous third act) and Elysium.

Worst 3:

1. Iron Man 3
2. Iron Man 3
3. Iron Man 3

Dishonorable mention:

Iron Man 3

Need to see:

Pacific Rim, You're Next, and The Fast and the Furious 6.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 09-14-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Best Three

Pacific Rim

Man of Steel

You're Next/Star Trek Into Darkness

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 09-18-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 AM
Why were you so upset with Iron Man 3? I have to ask.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Seriously, did everyone hate Man of Steel except for me? As you can tell, I absolutely loved the film. I know it had its problems, but it was still a great movie. Anyone care to enlighten me or share their thoughts/opinions with me?

Last edited by JonahHelfrich23; 09-18-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Seriously, did everyone hate Man of Steel except for me? As you can tell, I absolutely loved the film. I know it had its problems, but it was still a great movie. Anyone care to enlighten me or share their thoughts/opinions with me?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 AM
best

1.iron man 3
2.the wolverine
3.monsters university

worst

1.pacific rim
2.pacific rim
3.pacific rim

dishonorable mention
pacific rim
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Best:
Iron Man 3
Star Trek Into Darkness
Pacific Rim

Worst:
After Earth
Man of Steel
Grown Ups 2
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Man of Steel was great. Most of the haters are comic book nerds and Marvel fanboys.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
But @jz68 I need these comic book nerds and fanboys to explain to me why they did not like the film. I get really upset when people say they did not like the film in question by any means, but do not offer up any legitimate pieces of evidence to support their claims. It does not make any sense and it makes them look as though they cannot take being proved wrong. However, this is just my opinion. In essence, GIVE ME A GOOD EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU DID NOT LIKE MAN OF STEEL! LET'S GET A GOOD DEBATE GOING!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
But @jz68 I need these comic book nerds and fanboys to explain to me why they did not like the film. I get really upset when people say they did not like the film in question by any means, but do not offer up any legitimate pieces of evidence to support their claims. It does not make any sense and it makes them look as though they cannot take being proved wrong. However, this is just my opinion. In essence, GIVE ME A GOOD EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU DID NOT LIKE MAN OF STEEL! LET'S GET A GOOD DEBATE GOING!!!
Okay, I'll repeat myself.

I used to love comics as a kid, but I don't follow them now (and haven't for years). I don't know if that makes me a comic geek, or what. But I am a movie geek. I personally hold good storytelling & good overall films high above fanfare. I could easily forgive Nolan for stripping the away comic book roots from Batman because Nolan made fantastic movies. I love what he did for the most part.

Man of Steel, on the the hand, was all fanfare and nothing else. It was a very empty film, and was one of the worst overblown Hollywood films since Transformers 2.

****Spoilers****

Lets break this film down a litte, and lets look at beginning 20 or so minutes of Man of Steel. It actually wasn't terrible. It pretty much took the beginning of Superman I & II and turned that story into one long action scene. It was all kind of mindless, but also kind of fun. This is the only part of the film where the story had somewhat of a flow to it. Once this fun action scene ended, then the actual story for this film starts.

This film only spent around 30 minutes to tell its entire story (the length of a TV sitcom episode). The story itself wasn't even much of a story, it was more like a clip show from an episode of Smallville. Each scene in this "story" just randomly happens. There was no structure. No scene ever flowed into the next. There was never any build up to any of this film's thin drama. It just jumps from the heart of one dramatic moment into the next without any real context or setup. And worst of all, this film flies through every scene like it is trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. It's like an ADD generation nightmare. Like randomly flipping through TV channels the entire time.

Plus, the fact that the characters were very poorly written didn't help at all. Lois Lane was a pointless character, and she only briefly met Superman a few times, yet they started kissing all romantically at the end. He was pretty much a stranger to her. No romance between the two was ever created, and there was nothing to warrant that kiss. It was all just random (like nearly everything in this film). All of the characters mainly spoke in pure exposition, and we had to keep hearing the already redundant "you were destined for great things" speech from not one, but TWO fathers.

And lets not forget how emo Superman was. He is a character that was created to be the ultimate wish fulfillment character. He is strikingly good looking, naturally athletic, women want him, and he has every superpower combined. Poor little fellow . This film treats it all like a curse, and gives us a dark & brooding Batman-wannabe. This is like winning the lottery and then crying about how no one understands you. Even Twilight wasn't this fucking emo & juvenile (or maybe it was).

Okay then, so far we got a 20 minute action scene, and a pathetic 30 minutes worth of unstructured & disjointed story. Man of Steel pushed through its story very quickly so that it can make room for its overblown action scene. A very redundant action scene that lasts throughout the rest of the movie. This movie was just: Action Scene/Very small snippet of story/Massively long action scene/The End.

I guess this is where the Superman fan in me comes out. In every incarnation of Superman (outside of Man of Steel), he has traditionally been a fairly smart guy who cares for people. Yet, in Man of Steel, he was like "Fuck people! LETS RUMBLE!!!". Traditionally, Superman was always smart enough to lure the superpowered & psychotic villains away from populated areas to avoid collateral damage. Yet in Man of Steel, Superman did the exact opposite.

For instance, lets look at the beginning of Superman's fight with Zod. Zod was originally on the Kent farm, as was Zod's cronies. We can clearly see that Kent Farm is surrounded by nothing but miles of empty farmland. Yet Superman flies in, scoops up Zod, flies Zod through miles of desolate farmland, through a silo, through even more farmland, only to drop Zod smack dab in the middle of a heavily populated town.

Superman literally flies the dangerous, superpowered, & pshycotic villain from an empty desolated area and into a populated town. Zod didn't want to be there, but Superman dragged him there, and forced him to fight there. To me that is hilarious, it's like a spoof of Superman, or more like something Bizarro would do.

The only reason Superman behaved this way is because Goyer & Snyder are like Michael Bay. They just want to see buildings blow up, despite how much sense it makes to the story. You can't blow up too many buildings in a desolate area. This film constantly insults the audience with bullshit like this.

Which brings me back to how poorly written this script is. We see the Daily Planet destroyed, and we see a large chuck of the surrounding city flattened into a pancake. Yet at the end Clark Kent gets a job at The Daily Planet. Suddenly the Daily Planet and the surrounding city is good as new, not a scratch. It's been over 10 years since 9/11 and we are still rebuilding, yet nearly all of Metropolis was completely rebuilt to its former glory after a few months at the most? WTF? Seriously? That is just lazy writing, and not giving a shit. There is no justification for that kind of ignorance on the filmmaker's part (despite some fanboys' painfully bad & apologetic attempts to explain it).

I could go on and on with this film. The last thing I'll point out is how quickly this film forgets its own themes. Throughout the movie we kept hearing about how "the world isn't ready to know about aliens". It is hammered into our heads by everyone in this film. Yet when aliens show up, and threaten to kill everyone, NO ONE CARES! There is no panic or response of any kind from the world. It had no impact whatsoever. Everyone is like "Huh, I guess we better give them what they want so that they'll leave, and I can get back to doing whatever." There isn't even a reflection on what it means to the world now that we know what's out there in deep space. Ugh, the one thing that this film was building up to, and it completely forgot what it was doing.

Like I said before, for me personally, the only other film in recent memory that was as unstructured, disjointed, and poorly written as Man of Steel would be Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 09-19-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Okay, I'll repeat myself.

I used to love comics as a kid, but I don't follow them now (and haven't for years). I don't know if that makes me a comic geek, or what. But I am a movie geek. I personally hold good storytelling & good overall films high above fanfare. I could easily forgive Nolan for stripping the away comic book roots from Batman because Nolan made fantastic movies. I love what he did for the most part.

Man of Steel, on the the hand, was all fanfare and nothing else. It was a very empty film, and was one of the worst overblown Hollywood films since Transformers 2.

****Spoilers****

Lets break this film down a litte, and lets look at beginning 20 or so minutes of Man of Steel. It actually wasn't terrible. It pretty much took the beginning of Superman I & II and turned that story into one long action scene. It was all kind of mindless, but also kind of fun. This is the only part of the film where the story had somewhat of a flow to it. Once this fun action scene ended, then the actual story for this film starts.

This film only spent around 30 minutes to tell its entire story (the length of a TV sitcom episode). The story itself wasn't even much of a story, it was more like a clip show from an episode of Smallville. Each scene in this "story" just randomly happens. There was no structure. No scene ever flowed into the next. There was never any build up to any of this film's thin drama. It just jumps from the heart of one dramatic moment into the next without any real context or setup. And worst of all, this film flies through every scene like it is trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. It's like an ADD generation nightmare. Like randomly flipping through TV channels the entire time.

Plus, the fact that the characters were very poorly written didn't help at all. Lois Lane was a pointless character, and she only briefly met Superman a few times, yet they started kissing all romantically at the end. He was pretty much a stranger to her. No romance between the two was ever created, and there was nothing to warrant that kiss. It was all just random (like nearly everything in this film). All of the characters mainly spoke in pure exposition, and we had to keep hearing the already redundant "you were destined for great things" speech from not one, but TWO fathers.

And lets not forget how emo Superman was. He is a character that was created to be the ultimate wish fulfillment character. He is strikingly good looking, naturally athletic, women want him, and he has every superpower combined. Poor little fellow . This film treats it all like a curse, and gives us a dark & brooding Batman-wannabe. This is like winning the lottery and then crying about how no one understands you. Even Twilight wasn't this fucking emo & juvenile (or maybe it was).

Okay then, so far we got a 20 minute action scene, and a pathetic 30 minutes worth of unstructured & disjointed story. Man of Steel pushed through its story very quickly so that it can make room for its overblown action scene. A very redundant action scene that lasts throughout the rest of the movie. This movie was just: Action Scene/Very small snippet of story/Massively long action scene/The End.

I guess this is where the Superman fan in me comes out. In every incarnation of Superman (outside of Man of Steel), he has traditionally been a fairly smart guy who cares for people. Yet, in Man of Steel, he was like "Fuck people! LETS RUMBLE!!!". Traditionally, Superman was always smart enough to lure the superpowered & psychotic villains away from populated areas to avoid collateral damage. Yet in Man of Steel, Superman did the exact opposite.

For instance, lets look at the beginning of Superman's fight with Zod. Zod was originally on the Kent farm, as was Zod's cronies. We can clearly see that Kent Farm is surrounded by nothing but miles of empty farmland. Yet Superman flies in, scoops up Zod, flies Zod through miles of desolate farmland, through a silo, through even more farmland, only to drop Zod smack dab in the middle of a heavily populated town.

Superman literally flies the dangerous, superpowered, & pshycotic villain from an empty desolated area and into a populated town. Zod didn't want to be there, but Superman dragged him there, and forced him to fight there. To me that is hilarious, it's like a spoof of Superman, or more like something Bizarro would do.

The only reason Superman behaved this way is because Goyer & Snyder are like Michael Bay. They just want to see buildings blow up, despite how much sense it makes to the story. You can't blow up too many buildings in a desolate area. This film constantly insults the audience with bullshit like this.

Which brings me back to how poorly written this script is. We see the Daily Planet destroyed, and we see a large chuck of the surrounding city flattened into a pancake. Yet at the end Clark Kent gets a job at The Daily Planet. Suddenly the Daily Planet and the surrounding city is good as new, not a scratch. It's been over 10 years since 9/11 and we are still rebuilding, yet nearly all of Metropolis was completely rebuilt to its former glory after a few months at the most? WTF? Seriously? That is just lazy writing, and not giving a shit. There is no justification for that kind of ignorance on the filmmaker's part (despite some fanboys' painfully bad & apologetic attempts to explain it).

I could go on and on with this film. The last thing I'll point out is how quickly this film forgets its own themes. Throughout the movie we kept hearing about how "the world isn't ready to know about aliens". It is hammered into our heads by everyone in this film. Yet when aliens show up, and threaten to kill everyone, NO ONE CARES! There is no panic or response of any kind from the world. It had no impact whatsoever. Everyone is like "Huh, I guess we better give them what they want so that they'll leave, and I can get back to doing whatever." There isn't even a reflection on what it means to the world now that we know what's out there in deep space. Ugh, the one thing that this film was building up to, and it completely forgot what it was doing.

Like I said before, for me personally, the only other film in recent memory that was as unstructured, disjointed, and poorly written as Man of Steel would be Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
I could pose a counter argument for some of your claims against the film, but I feel like we're going to get really off-track with this thread. Why turn a three favorite films of the summer thread into a Man of Steel debate?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I could pose a counter argument for some of your claims against the film, but I feel like we're going to get really off-track with this thread. Why turn a three favorite films of the summer thread into a Man of Steel debate?
True, but the guy who started the thread asked someone to explain why they didn't like it.