Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Annoying/pretentious camera movements

Hey guys,

This is to collect a listing of moments in movies where it felt like the makers were getting really self indulgent with their camera movements, whether it was to show off or trying to be "art-y" but failed in your opinion. You don't need to be a cinematography major to spot these, I'm for the ones where anyone can see it and think "Wow, douchebag." Please don't list general stuff like "all of Wes Anderson's movies", I'm going more for specifics.

Broken Flowers: There's an unbroken 360 dolly shot around Bill Murray at a certain point in the movie, meant to emphasize his discontent I guess. But it's a slow move and just goes on forever, where a character like that would've eventually moved on. A snippet is at 1:52 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_TB7MkrGyc

Anything you're thinking?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
It's a tough one to think of on the spot, but one that instantly comes to mind is the moment in Haneke's Funny Games where the scene rewinds back on itself. More of a technique than a camera movement, but it's worth a mention in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbrXIgU55A

wince.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
It's a tough one to think of on the spot, but one that instantly comes to mind is the moment in Haneke's Funny Games where the scene rewinds back on itself. More of a technique than a camera movement, but it's worth a mention in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbrXIgU55A

wince.
God I love that movie but I can understand how someone would roll their eyes at that scene
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Battlefield Earth (the entire movie). I think the cameramen were all drunk.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
In Bully (2001), there's a scene where the main characters are all on someone's front garden, and it's bad enough they were in full view of the neighbours while shouting about their intentions to kill someone (at least I think it was that scene when they discuss that), but the camera movement takes its toll. Instead of cutting to the dialogue, its one long take of the camera moving in circles. Previously I mentioned the impression of the pov of the invisible man, here its an invisible irritating child's pov.
I can totally see how one would find that shot annoying, but I kind of dug it. It's been a long time since I've seen that film, but I liked how it didn't cut and we see the reactions on the faces of the characters as they are having that conversation. Pitt's character is just spaced out, smoking a cigarette and totally not comprehending how badly he is about to fuck his life up.

I agree about the neighbours bit though and I think there could have been a better rhythm to the shot.