Old 11-01-2001, 06:02 AM
What happened to the Misc. Non-Movie talk forum??

Well, it's gone and we are now and ALL-MOVIE discussion board! Here's why:

"I've been thinking about this since the summer and the "soap operas" that were taking place in this forum ("so-and-so says that such-and-such isn't who they say they are.......etc") and recent events have made me clearly see how it is no longer beneficial to have on our movie board. Facts:

1) A recent post asking people what their favorite forum was on our MOVIE BOARD resulted in a majority of people responding with the MISC. NON-MOVIE TALK forum more than any other. Huh?

2) A recent post of mine concerning the fact that I will be seeing parts of LORD OF THE RINGS almost a month and a half before it comes out (one of the more anticipated movies of the past decade), was given less interest than pretty much every single thread in MISC. NON-MOVIE TALK and inspired less responses than topics about the preference of some for WOMEN WITH SHORT OR LONG HAIR. Again, not a good sign for a movie fan community.

3) And last but certainly not least, I recently ran a check on the number of posts being placed in each forum, and the MISC. NON-MOVIE TALK forum was far-and-away the most popular forum on the board. It outposted its closest competitor by 3-1 and most of the MOVIE forums by 8-1 or 15-1.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is not the reason that I started this movie board. I started this thing to further expand the community of movie fans that were visiting our site. I figured it to be a great place for movie fans from around the world to share their love and passion for film. Most of the people here are there for that reason, but the presence of the MISC. NON-MOVIE TALK forum has somehow allowed many to lose focus on that, and for many others who aren't even interested in movies, to come in here and gab away.

I have absolutely no bad feelings towards any particular person or persons in this regard, but we are going to be returning to the basics of this site very soon, and this is just the first step. We want this board to be about movies only, and even though we recognize that there is obviously more to life than just movies, we also know that there are a zillion other sites that allow you to speak on those issues, so it's up to each person to recognize and frequent specific sites for their own purposes. This is a movie site, plain and simple.

I am obviously not all that interested in popularity (otherwise, I wouldn't be closing what appears to be the MOST LOVED forum by many people on this board), and would prefer to build a strong movie-loving community here. Our board has more members than many other movie boards and more and more people are joining every day. We want that to continue, but want to build a stronger relationship between our movie board and our site (which certain people here don't even seem to truly know much about) and hope that many of you movie lovers will stay and keep up the awesome movie discussions.

We will also be cutting back on many forums over the next few months, combining many of them into a few, and making sure that everyone understands the basic rule that we go by here, which is RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT!!

Oh yeah, and in case some of you don't know this already, our site is in big financial difficulty, which is yet another reason to cut back on the less beneficial aspects of the site and concentrate more on its complementary parts: http://www.joblo.com/support-joblo.htm

I look forward to seeing you all on the new-and-improved JoBlo Movie Board come November 1st.

JoBlo"
Old 11-01-2001, 04:58 PM
What happened to the Movie Questions forum?

I also got this message whilst trying to post in the general movie talk section to the American Beauty topic:

We cannot post this because the Forum Name being submitted does not match the forum name we have listed in our records. Use your back button to try again.

???

[This message has been edited by ak (edited 11-01-2001).]
Old 11-01-2001, 05:24 PM
That's an excellent question! The MQ forum doesn't seem to be listed in the site archive anymore. Is there a particular reason to get rid of it, or are you just trimming down the whole site in general?
Old 11-01-2001, 05:25 PM
uh oh...its the 'CLEANER'
Old 11-01-2001, 05:32 PM
It is like Fantasia crumbling apart before our very eyes. Yes indeed the downsizing seems to have commenced to every schmoe' dismay.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:36 PM
Yup, we are going to be combining some of the forums to make things simpler to use. More streamlined. All of the messages from the MOVIE QUESTIONS forums were moved to the GENERAL MOVIE TALK forum. No messages will be lost in this move. We will be moving messages only, not deleting them.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:14 PM
I'm still having a problem with the message:

"We cannot post this because the Forum Name being submitted does not match the forum name we have listed in our records. Use your back button to try again".

Old 11-01-2001, 06:59 PM
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, ak. It should be fixed now. Let me know if you still have that problem.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Im actually kind of glad I wasnt around for the era of the MISC forum
Old 06-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Eh, it was fun while it lasted, but it ended up getting pretty messy.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I've got a question to ask, what were the craziest topics on that forum?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Samborski
I've got a question to ask, what were the craziest topics on that forum?
Sorry if I shouldn't be answering this, Jo, but here goes....

There was this thread called badger badger badger all day long or something that ultimately morphed into a place where a former schmoe called Brock Landers talked about his sex life in great detail.

But basically every stupid thing popped up on there one time or another.
Closed Thread