Old 04-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The word “classic” gets abused more than my self-confidence. Unfortunately it has no ego to back it up--when people call literally every passable flick a classic the word itself begins to lose meaning. Nowadays it’s just like any other adjective on the planet, thrown at any films that strikes people’s fancy. Well I’m here to give classic some of it’s pride back. How?
By saying that Terminator 2: Judgment Day is a classic.

In the future mankind is nearing extinction. Machines controlled by the self-aware Skynet hunt down the remaining survivors and terminate them with its own brand of army: an assortment of ’soldiers’, among them Terminators, Hunter Killers, and ‘big tank things that shoot lasers’. The humans band together and fight back under the leadership of John Connor. So the machines decide to play dirty: they send a terminator into the past to ‘terminate’ John Connor’s mother, Sarah, before she gave birth to John. To counter this, the resistance sends one of its own to protect her.
The terminator failed. Sarah lives on.
But all’s not lost: the machines also sent a killer to strike at John when he was only a child. Just as before, the humans countered this move with a warrior, a protector for John.
Now it’s a question of which one will reach him first . . .
*cue theme*

Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Terminator) gives a good performance, but then again, the script didn’t call for much. In fact, Arnold displays little emotion. That’s not a bad thing. He’s a machine! The guy does what the role requires flawlessly. Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor), on the other hand, gives a fantastic, emotional performance. Without question the top of her career. Edward Furlong (John Connor) does quite a good job seeing as how this was his fist acting gig, but he does slip occasionally in his dialogue delivery (“The truth is what we make for ourselves!” ouch). Robert Patrick steals every scene he’s in as the indestructible T-1000.

Writer/director James Cameron shows why he’s such a big name. The guy handles the camera like a pro (obviously). Loved the orange/blue filters that appeared on certain occasions. The thing with Cameron is that he can handle action/slow scenes both equally well, which is quite a talent. He really shows off his directorial muscles in T2.

The score is excellent stuff. One of the best themes in the history of . . . of themes, with plenty to munch on in-between.

Does this mighty mecha of cool have any problems? Well let’s see . . . the plot is wonderfully complex and also rather simple (say again?) . . . the characters are layered and sympathetic (“I know now why you cry.”) . . . the action scenes blow modern movies out of the water . . . great suspense . . . well-played humor (for those who’ve seen the deleted scenes--“Smile”) . . . awesome score . . .
Oh, here it is: acting. Like I said, Furlong doesn’t do his best work here. He slips up once or twice on delivery. This is barely noticeable, seeing as how I’ve only become aware of it after my tenth (you heard me) viewing of the film.

If you haven’t seen this you should be locked up in a cell with a starving Oprah. Not only is this THE best action movie ever made, it’s also quite frankly one of the greatest films, period. There’s a reason this is a classic, people. It excels in every area, particularly CGI, the majority of which is better than many movies in recent years (looking at you, Van Helsing).

Acting. Direction. Score. Effects. Story. Emotion--
All classic. There is no equal to Terminator 2, a film that manages to satisfy mainstream movie goers and hardcore film . . . uh, ’film-ites’ alike. I’m blown away.

10/10--exceptional stuff that never tires or wears out its welcome, despite the extended runtime

REVIEW DATABASE

MOVIES:

28 Days Later : 7/10
8mm : 9/10
Alien : 6/10
Audition: 7/10
August Underground : 5/10
Battle Royale : 8/10
Cannibal Holocaust : 9/10
Dawn of the Dead : 5/10
Day of the Dead: 8/10
The Dead Zone : 7/10
Donnie Darko : 10/10
The Eye : 7/10
Elephant : 6/10
Freaky Friday : 8/10
Ginger Snaps : 7/10
Hardcore : 6/10
Hellboy : 6/10
House of 1000 Corpses : 4/10
House of Sand and Fog : 9/10
Hulk : 10/10
Irreversible : 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 1 : 8/10
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist : 7/10
Last House on the Left: 3/10
May : 10/10
Memento : 8/10
Mulholland Drive : 7/10
Near Dark : 6/10
One Hour Photo : 9/10
Perfect Blue: 9/10
Requiem For a Dream : 8/10
Se7en : 9/10
Terminator 2: Judgment Day : 10/10
Thesis : 6/10
Underworld : 7/10
Willard : 8/10

TELEVISION
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (season 5) : A
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Perfect Collection : B-
End of Evangelion : A-

BOOKS
Stephen King's IT : 5/5 stars

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 09-20-2004 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Yes T2 is definately a classic. It's one of those rare sequels that not only manages to live up to the original but surpass it in some ways. They definately don't make films as packed with action and emotion as this today. Also I agree about the cgi in the film. It's funny since this was the early 90's but still it looks better then most films of today with much bigger budgets. Hell... it even beats T3's cgi.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Stop the press, I actually am going to agree with C-des here!
Holy moly...

No seriously this movie deserves every type of praise that it can get.

And in my opinion this movie has some of the best deleted scenes ever! I love that feature that the DVD has were you can watch the whole film with those deleted scenes! It makes the film all the better in my opinion.

That scene where they open up the Terminators head is amazing, yet for some dumbass reason (pacing Im sure) they took it out!

Anyhows, totally agree with you here, the whole movie is practically perfect, if it wasnt for Furlong whos acting is kind of rigid (this was his first film). Ill let it pass though, its nothing when compared to the awesomeness of this flick.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Oh, forgot to mention . . .

This is underrated.
Huh?
Well, when people remember T2 (at least mainstream) they remember action. They've forgotten just how emotional and generally high-quality it was.
For shame.

And . . . I do agree with space.
Uh . . .
*looks outside to see if sky is falling*
Old 04-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Terminator 2: Judgment Day is the best action movie ever made. It's got everything you could ask for. Awesome storyline, kickass action scenes, well-drawn characters and emotion to boot. The ending is one of the best ever.

10/10
Old 04-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Stop the press, I actually am going to agree with C-des here!
Holy moly...
. . . . . . . . C, what are you giving them?

Schmoes! Whatever C-Desacration- offers you, don't accept it. He only wants to take over your mind.

Anywho, I do want to see this movie because well . . . I haven't seen it.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:08 PM
The Best action film-ever. 10/10
Old 05-01-2004, 03:50 PM
How could you not have seen T2 by now X?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:57 PM
this is one of my all time favourite films, whenever i used to be ill id watch this, it always made me feel better

excellent acting and cgi

T2 is definitely a classic

10/10
Old 05-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pyscho dude
How could you not have seen T2 by now X?
Hm, I guess it never interested me (I saw the first when I was like 6). The truth is that I wasn't aware of it's classic status and I was never a fan of the Arnold. I guess I'll watch it now that I've read so many possitive reviews.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Excellent review, C-Des, really!

As for Terminator 2 I loved it as well. Although I agree with C-Des on Furlong's acting. Bad casting can really sour a film for me and it did manage to bring it down a few notches.

Maybe I'm nuts but I actually like part 1 a little better -- found it creepier and I'm a huge Michael B. fan.

But whatever, these two back to back are musts in any cinephiles collection
Old 05-03-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Hm, I guess it never interested me (I saw the first when I was like 6). The truth is that I wasn't aware of it's classic status and I was never a fan of the Arnold. I guess I'll watch it now that I've read so many possitive reviews.
HOly fuckInG MothER FuckINg Godamn< shit Fuck No freaking way HOly Testicle Tuesday! I cant believe you havent seen this! No, no, theres just no excuse. You just stop whatever the hell your doing right now and rent it! Bad Nightcrawler, bad!

Hey x, this is a classic dude. This is the titanic of action flicks! Big Budget, emotional, action packed, fx-filled...what else can I say?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey
HOly fuckInG MothER FuckINg Godamn< shit Fuck No freaking way HOly Testicle Tuesday! I cant believe you havent seen this! No, no, theres just no excuse. You just stop whatever the hell your doing right now and rent it! Bad Nightcrawler, bad!

Hey x, this is a classic dude. This is the titanic of action flicks! Big Budget, emotional, action packed, fx-filled...what else can I say?
Hahaha, I'm going to see it when I have the chance. Honest.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Watched it (and watching it again right now). Definitely a movie that's worth its classic status. Too bad the kid is so unlikable early on.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Classic, no words can describe it.

Klassiek.
Classique.
Klassisch.
Κλασικός.
Classico.
Clássico.
Классицистическо.
Clásico.

You get the idea.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM

It appears I'll never have to explain why it's my favorite movie.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by syxxpac

It appears I'll never have to explain why it's my favorite movie.
Say, pac, why is it your favorite movie?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:18 PM
My unwitting minions have already revealed the truth.

Bwahahahaha!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:00 AM
What an awesome film...However, I do prefer T1. More violent, evil Arnie, and a great atmosphere. Both are timeless classics, but the third was an unnecessary evil film. And they're making a forth? These are bad people
Old 10-16-2005, 03:09 PM
"Terminator 2: Judgement Day" 1991

Directed by: James Cameron
Written by: James Cameron, William Wisher Jr.
Starring: Ah-nuld, Edward Furlong, Linda Hamilton, Robert Patrick

Rating: 8/10

Plot: A new terminator is sent back in time. The improved model is now trying to strike at John Connor himself. The resistance manages to send back a protector for young John who may be a little bit familiar...

Review: T2 completely revolutionized the action genre, solidified Ah-Nuld as the king of action films, and made quite a pretty penny. It's a great film in its own right, but I still favor the first installment. Having Arnold as the good guy is a nice twist but when he starts getting cutesy it just detracts from the feel of the film. The first one was dark and gritty...it's hard to stomach the terminator saying he needs a vacation.

The storyline isn't very expanded from the first film. Good guy and bad guy travel through time. This time they're after John himself. He's a troubled kid and his mom is in the mental hospital. Guns and explosions inevitably follow. The plot is simplistic enough for a big budget action audience but has a couple treats here and there for fans of the original (Michael Biehn in a short role, Dr. Silberman's return).

The acting is again top-notch. Arnold looks pretty bad-ass but again the whole image is sullied here and there. I laughed in several scenes included for humor (smiling, low fives, etc) but it just doesn't work as well for me as the original close to mute killing machine. Hamilton looks buff and gruff. I dug her transformation from innocent waitress to ass-stomping, gun-running, tequila-swilling, harbinger of the apocalypse. Furlong does an exceptional job for a child actor. Robert Patrick looks mean but he just can't hold a candle (no one can) to Arnold's original rendition.

The special effects are jaw-dropping to this day. T2 is freaking incredible. The transformation effects are seamless. The car chases have increased in size/intensity. The scene where the truck crashes from the overpass into the canal while John looks up is enough to make most fans cream their pants.

T2 leaves an indelible mark on all that watch it. If you are a fan of the Terminator films or not, you still have to appreciate the incredible effects work the film produced. The film is beautifully shot with a mixture of slow shots (of particular note is Arnie exiting the elevator to find Sarah in the hospital) and hyperactive action sequences. If you walk away unimpressed I'd say you were lying.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Another review page of T2, ok here I go.

It's an incredible experience that lasts a lifetime when a film classic comes back with a sequal and doesn't just satisfy people but blows them away, terminator did just that.

There are no negatives in this review, the movie is perfect, only a few films I've seen are like that. More inmportant than the special effects is the story. James Cameron managed to make a film work where the bad guy from the first film-turned into- the good guy of the second film.

Arnold S yet agains pulls off another great performance as the emotionless cyborg. I found Sarah Connor's transformation into a tougher woman awesome, it's great to see the same character with a different personality. A sequal with the same character as the first one gets boring.

John connor added a signifigent importance to the story. the story is the other great part of T2. It stays original and perfect, now that 2 terminators have to fight over John. with one great thing comes another great thing. dthe other terminator has since become one of the greatest villians ever. The T-1000 blew us away with the most amazing special effects. The abilities he had, the things he could do and the whole concept of the liquid shaping lifeform was awesome.

Terminator 2 is one of those rare films that excells over the first film and above many other films of the sci-fi, and action genre. Terrific special effects that still hold up today, wonderful engaging action that is also entertaining. T2 is a re-watchable high action packed thrill ride that further improves the terminator saga, and is one of the few films that still makes us bilieve that there is that little bit of hope in movies.
FINAL SCORE: 10/10 PERFECT
Old 12-31-2005, 04:10 AM

You all just saved me the longest post ever praising the movie.

Best sequel ever, best movie ever. It's beyond perfect!

12/10