Old 06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
AFI's TOP 100 MOVIE QUOTES

So, what do you think?

1. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn,” “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
2. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse,” “The Godfather,” 1972.
3. “You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am,” “On the Waterfront,” 1954.
4. “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore,” “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
5. “Here’s looking at you, kid,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
6. “Go ahead, make my day,” “Sudden Impact,” 1983.
7. “All right, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up,” “Sunset Blvd.,” 1950.
8. “May the Force be with you,” “Star Wars,” 1977.
9. “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night,” “All About Eve,” 1950.
10. “You talking to me?” “Taxi Driver,” 1976.
11. “What we’ve got here is failure to communicate,” “Cool Hand Luke,” 1967.
12. “I love the smell of napalm in the morning,” “Apocalypse Now,” 1979.
13. “Love means never having to say you’re sorry,” “Love Story,” 1970.
14. “The stuff that dreams are made of,” “The Maltese Falcon,” 1941.
15. “E.T. phone home,” “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,” 1982.
16. “They call me Mister Tibbs!”, “In the Heat of the Night,” 1967.
17. “Rosebud,” “Citizen Kane,” 1941.
18. “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!”, “White Heat,” 1949.
19. “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”, “Network,” 1976.
20. “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
21. “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti,” “The Silence of the Lambs,” 1991.
22. “Bond. James Bond,” “Dr. No,” 1962.
23. “There’s no place like home,” “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
24. “I am big! It’s the pictures that got small,” “Sunset Blvd.,” 1950.
25. “Show me the money!”, “Jerry Maguire,” 1996.
26. “Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?”, “She Done Him Wrong,” 1933.
27. “I’m walking here! I’m walking here!”, “Midnight Cowboy,” 1969.
28. “Play it, Sam. Play ’As Time Goes By,”’ “Casablanca,” 1942.
29. “You can’t handle the truth!”, “A Few Good Men,” 1992.
30. “I want to be alone,” “Grand Hotel,” 1932.
31. “After all, tomorrow is another day!”, “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
32. “Round up the usual suspects,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
33. “I’ll have what she’s having,” “When Harry Met Sally...,” 1989.
34. “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow,” “To Have and Have Not,” 1944.
35. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat,” “Jaws,” 1975.
36. “Badges? We ain’t got no badges! We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!”, “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre,” 1948.
37. “I’ll be back,” “The Terminator,” 1984.
38. “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth,” “The Pride of the Yankees,” 1942.
39. “If you build it, he will come,” “Field of Dreams,” 1989.
40. “Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get,” “Forrest Gump,” 1994.
41. “We rob banks,” “Bonnie and Clyde,” 1967.
42. “Plastics,” “The Graduate,” 1967.
43. “We’ll always have Paris,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
44. “I see dead people,” “The Sixth Sense,” 1999.
45. “Stella! Hey, Stella!”, “A Streetcar Named Desire,” 1951.
46. “Oh, Jerry, don’t let’s ask for the moon. We have the stars,” “Now, Voyager,” 1942.
47. “Shane. Shane. Come back!”, “Shane,” 1953.
48. “Well, nobody’s perfect,” “Some Like It Hot,” 1959.
49. “It’s alive! It’s alive!”, “Frankenstein,” 1931.
50. “Houston, we have a problem,” “Apollo 13,” 1995.
51. “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ’Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”, “Dirty Harry,” 1971.
52. “You had me at ‘hello,”’ “Jerry Maguire,” 1996.
53. “One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know,” “Animal Crackers,” 1930.
54. “There’s no crying in baseball!”, “A League of Their Own,” 1992.
55. “La-dee-da, la-dee-da,” “Annie Hall,” 1977.
56. “A boy’s best friend is his mother,” “Psycho,” 1960.
57. “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good,” “Wall Street,” 1987.
58. “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer,” “The Godfather Part II,” 1974.
59. “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again,” “Gone With the Wind,” 1939.
60. “Well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into!”, “Sons of the Desert,” 1933.
61. “Say ‘hello’ to my little friend!”, “Scarface,” 1983.
62. “What a dump,” “Beyond the Forest,” 1949.
63. “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?”, “The Graduate,” 1967.
64. “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”, “Dr. Strangelove,” 1964.
65. “Elementary, my dear Watson,” “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,” 1929.
66. “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape,” “Planet of the Apes,” 1968.
67. “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine,” “Casablanca,” 1942.
68. “Here’s Johnny!”, “The Shining,” 1980.
69. “They’re here!”, “Poltergeist,” 1982.
70. “Is it safe?”, “Marathon Man,” 1976.
71. “Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain’t heard nothin’ yet!”, “The Jazz Singer,” 1927.
72. “No wire hangers, ever!”, “Mommie Dearest,” 1981.
73. “Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?”, “Little Caesar,” 1930.
74. “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown,” “Chinatown,” 1974.
75. “I have always depended on the kindness of strangers,” “A Streetcar Named Desire,” 1951.
76. “Hasta la vista, baby,” “Terminator 2: Judgment Day,” 1991.
77. “Soylent Green is people!”, “Soylent Green,” 1973.
78. “Open the pod bay doors, HAL,” “2001: A Space Odyssey,” 1968.
79. Striker: “Surely you can’t be serious.” Rumack: “I am serious ... and don’t call me Shirley,” “Airplane!”, 1980.
80. “Yo, Adrian!”, “Rocky,” 1976.
81. “Hello, gorgeous,” “Funny Girl,” 1968.
82. “Toga! Toga!”, “National Lampoon’s Animal House,” 1978.
83. “Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make,” “Dracula,” 1931.
84. “Oh, no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast,” “King Kong,” 1933.
85. “My precious,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,” 2002.
86. “Attica! Attica!”, “Dog Day Afternoon,” 1975.
87. “Sawyer, you’re going out a youngster, but you’ve got to come back a star!”, “42nd Street,” 1933.
88. “Listen to me, mister. You’re my knight in shining armor. Don’t you forget it. You’re going to get back on that horse, and I’m going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we’re gonna go, go, go!”, “On Golden Pond,” 1981.
89. “Tell ’em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper,” “Knute Rockne, All American,” 1940.
90. “A martini. Shaken, not stirred,” “Goldfinger,” 1964
91. “Who’s on first,” “The Naughty Nineties,” 1945.
92. “Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!”, “Caddyshack,” 1980.
93. “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!”, “Auntie Mame,” 1958.
94. “I feel the need — the need for speed!”, “Top Gun,” 1986.
95. “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary,” “Dead Poets Society,” 1989.
96. “Snap out of it!”, “Moonstruck,” 1987.
97. “My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you,” “Yankee Doodle Dandy,” 1942.
98. “Nobody puts Baby in a corner,” “Dirty Dancing,” 1987.
99. “I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!”, “The Wizard of Oz,” 1939.
100. “I’m king of the world!”, “Titanic,” 1997.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Ok list, glad to see Toga! Toga! up there.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 PM
I would have liked to of seen:

"Roads? Where we are going, we don't need... roads." from Back to the Future.

Also, the "I'll be there quote" from Grapes of Wrath

And, not too surprised, but "Yippie Kay Yay" from Die Hard didn't make the list - I think that is a great line, even if it is referential.

Also there was the classic "devil" line from The Usual Suspects -- I thought that should have been somewhere in the 100.

I was pretty sure about what the top 10 would look like -- I had guessed, walking into the list at #16 -- Gone With the Wind, Star Wars, On The Waterfront, Wizard of Oz, Cassablanca, Sudden Impact, and Sunst Blvd. ---- was happy to see Taxi Driver up that high, though, and didn't think my guesses would all be grouped into the top spots -- though I was sure they'd be in the Top 10. I totally forgot about The Godfather.

I always have fun with these lists -- It's just cool seeing the movie clips.

One comment, maybe a complaint, but just something I noticed while watching -- Wow, that had a lot of major spoilers for many movies!!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Suprised "No, I am your father" didn't make the list, but it's ok. The list was alright, and I pretty much guessed every line as it happened, and it's always fun seeing movie clips on these lists.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Great to see that Marlon Brando has two of the top three quotes.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I watched the 3 hour show and it was very well put together. I liked how the clips of the movies mended into each other, and I thought the commentators knew their stuff with the exception of someone like D.L. Hugely. It was nice to see Cameron Crowe chatting it up and Rob Reiner was good even though after a while he got a bit jabbery and almost elitist like, showboating knowledge.

I liked the list, but some of the movies were just TOO random. Like some of the 40's movies that I had never even heard of. There was more modern stuff needed. I can't even remember how many movies were from the 90's, let alone the 80's. Most of it was 40's and 50's. Interesting though, definitly a varied list in the fact that it used a ton of old movies.

Strange that "I'm king of the world" is on that list considering it was recently dubbed, cheesing or dumbest quote in movie history haha. Oh well, just strange. Sadly, there were nominees for Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, and Reservoir Dogs but not ONE of them made it. And Raging Bull wasn't even nominated, I was defintily thinking the "You didn't knock me down" or "I'm not an animal!" would have made it. Those or "that's entertainment, that's entertainment."

But all that aside the list definitly had some suprises and as a whole I like the presentation of the show, even though I thought it was only going to be 2 hours long. And man oh fucking man, could there be ANY more quotes from Casablanca!?

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some farva beans and a nice chianti."

THANK GOD, that was on there! !

Last edited by ChemicalRomance; 06-22-2005 at 12:08 AM..
Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 AM
pretty good list, but i'm disgusted at the fact of "nobody puts baby in a corner" is on there, i hate that fuckin' movie, but wtvr, hey swayze "nobody puts you in movies anymore because you blow", sorry just venting
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM
“Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make." - Dracula ('31)

It was nice to see this crack the list...

“Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night" - All About Eve

...And seeing this one so high.

Though, I was suprised that "Luke, I am your father" wasn't mentioned. They could of had less Casablanca quotes and "There's no place like home" should have been higher.

Last edited by deep_red101; 06-22-2005 at 12:47 AM..
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I actually watched almost all of it...it was good fun. I've never heard of that Soylent Green movie, and that quote cracked me up. I'm gonna be saying that everytime I go out to eat for the next 10 years

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 AM
That's the best list of movies from before I was fucking born.

These are needed:

Yippie ki-yay mother fucker! - Die Hard

I'm your worst nightmare - Rambo III/UHF

Woah - The Matrix

Now that is one big pile of shit - Jurassic Park

Don't just look at it - eat it - American Psycho

You of all people should know, never in my life would I wear black silk underwear - Double Impact

I'm just sayin.

AFI lists are getting pretty lame/predictable.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 AM
I just remembered, they didn't put "We all go a little mad sometimes" from Psycho on there. That is a huge shocker, I actually expected that to be near the top.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Always kinda the same and predictable from AFI, but watching the shows can still be alot of fun.

The most shocking for me, as well as the most pleasant surprise on the list was #54: “There’s no crying in baseball!”, “A League of Their Own,” 1992

One of my favorite comedies of all time, and I LOVE that line... I wouldn't have expected to see it anywhere near this list... Although the fact that Tom Hanks said it probably gives it a little more clout, still, very happy to see it there. I was hoping the infamous line from Silence of the Lambs would place higher, but it's cool. And I love the fact that "They're here" made it... It probably could've been replaced by the equally well known "They're back".

Okay list with a few cool surprises, but generally the same from AFI.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Maybe they should have a "100 Years, 100 One-Liners", just so they can get all the really good quotes that they missed. Such as (just for starters):

"Get away from her, you bitch!"

"The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is, you do not...talk...about Fight Club!"

"Honey...where's my super suit?"

"Why's the rum gone!?"

Hell, Quentin Tarantino should be taking up half the list.

Last edited by Weapon X; 06-22-2005 at 02:25 AM..
Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Suprised "No, I am your father" didn't make the list
My first thought exactly.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Suprised "No, I am your father" didn't make the list.
You'd think it had, seeing as how they showed a clip of it during the countdown.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 AM
I thought the Top 20 was well suited. But the rest were just eh choices. Plus, I was jumping up and down when Marlon Brando got #2 and 3. He was a great actor.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep_red101
[B]Though, I was suprised that "Luke, I am your father" wasn't mentioned. They could of had less Casablanca quotes and "There's no place like home" should have been higher.

Agreed
Old 06-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I didn't have the chance to catch this show (which is a shame) but judging from the list, I'd have to say.....

-I like it quite a bit, especially the top 20. Yet somehow, this one managed to be even more predictable than the previous AFI lists (with the exception of a few exclusions), I'm not surprised at all about the inclusions (although, to be honest, I never expected "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." to be ranked high)

-As usual, I'm always extremely happy to see Casablanca honored by the AFI. The quotes included here are also my favorites from that film (although I wouldn't necessarily rank them the same way).

-I would've preferred the other famous quote from GWTW as number one (ya know, the one that comes after....."After all, tomorrow is another day!"), but "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." is a fantastic choice as well.

-Despite not being all too surprised about the inclusions, I am also shocked that none of the following quotes made it: "Luke, I am your father", "We all go a little mad sometimes", and the "I'll be there" speech from The Grapes of Wrath. Also, where's "There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society, outside of a kennel." (from The Women)?

-"I'm the king of the world!" is a horrid line, it has no business whatsoever doing on this list IMO.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal21
-I would've preferred the other famous quote from GWTW as number one (ya know, the one that comes after....."After all, tomorrow is another day!"), but "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." is a fantastic choice as well.
Yeah, me too, but I'm just glad that for once GWTW came in above Casablanca on these AFI lists.

Also nice too see the great lines from King Kong and 42nd Street. But I'm surprised they have two quotes from Jerry Maguire.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
"Game over man, game fuckin' over!" - Aliens
"It's not what's going on, son, it's what's coming off. Your face!" - Near Dark
"You are one ugly muddafucka!" - Predator
"Vegas, baby, Vegas" - Swingers
"Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich!" - Being John Malkovich
"Be afraid. Be very afraid!" - The Fly

Pretty sweet list, though.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Weapon X

"Get away from her, you bitch!"

I was really hoping for that one and was disappointed to not find it on the list. Most glaring ommission besides, "Yippie ki-yay mother fucker!".

Also, I wish "you had me at hello" wasn't on there. I love Cameron Crowe, he's a great writer/director, and I love Jerry Maguire, but that was such a corny moment.

Thank god another incredibly corny moment line "ditto" wasn't on the list.

Also surprised to see Samuel L. Jackson's whole "and you know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee" line not on the list.

Despite all of this, it was a very enjoyable show, just like all of AFI's shows.

One more note, I love Casablanca as much as the next guy, but was it really neccessary to have ALL of those quotes from the movie on the list? Couldn't they have narrowed it down to just 3 or 4?!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Inconceivable!

Such little love for the 80s. And when they do get their heads out of their asses to acknowledge that great decade, they include frickin' Top Gun and Moonstruck and Dirty Dancing.

What about..?

"These go to eleven."

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

"Great Scott!"

"It's K-K-K-Ken c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me!"

"Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

"I feel good, and I'm not scared at all. I just feel kind of... kind of invincible.."

"Those AREN'T PILLOWS!"

Goddamn you AFI!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BakeTheMooCow

Such little love for the 80s. And when they do get their heads out of their asses to acknowledge that great decade, they include frickin' Top Gun and Moonstruck and Dirty Dancing.
Top Gun is not a great movie, but c'mon, "I feel the need, the need for speed" is a pretty great line.

I forgot another glaring ommisison on the list that's certainly one of my favorites "KAAAAAHN!" from a very angry Capt. Kirk or perhaps the more touching line from that movie "The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one".
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Overall - it's a damn good list. I was smiling and chuckling with most of them (in other words - agreeing with the selections most of the time).

Quotes I'm glad they included:

-"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." - Apocalypse Now
-"You're gonna need a bigger boat." - Jaws
-"There's no crying in baseball!" - A League of Their Own
-"Say "hello" to my little friend!" - Scarface
-"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove
-"Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious…and don't call me Shirley." - Airplane
-"Who's on first . . . ?" - The Naughty Nineties

Quotes I have no clue what the hell they're doing on the list:

-"I'm king of the world!"
-"No wire hangers, ever!"
-"Love means never having to say you're sorry."
-"You had me at "hello."

Quotes I wish were on the list/can't believe they're not on the freakin' list:

"You're so money, and you don't even know it." - Swingers
"If they move, KILL 'EM." - Wild Bunch
"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." - Princess Bride
"I am your father." - Empire Strikes Back
"How am I funny, like a clown? What is so funny about me? What the FUCK is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny." - Goodfellas
"Yippee kay-ay, mother fucker" - Die Hard
"Royal with Cheese" - Pulp Fiction
"Ezekiel 25:17. . . " - Pulp Fiction

Other than that, it's all good.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Chronologically, the ballot spans from 1927, with the first full-length sound film, THE JAZZ SINGER: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!" to 2002 and "My precious" from THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

CASABLANCA has seven quotes in AFI's ballot, making it the most represented film.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is the second most represented film with six quotes.

Humphrey Bogart has 10 quotes on the ballot, the most represented male actor. Al Pacino and the Marx Brothers follow with six quotes each and Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, James Stewart, Woody Allen and Jack Nicholson are all represented with five quotes each. Funnymen Peter Sellers and Mike Myers each have four quotes represented.

Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland and Vivien Leigh each have four memorable movie quotes on the ballot.

Billy Wilder is the top represented writer with 13 quotes, some co-written with I.A.L. Diamond, Charles Brackett and Raymond Chandler. Frances Ford Coppola has nine quotes represented, with seven coming from THE GODFATHER Trilogy. Mario Puzo, Coppola's collaborator on THE GODFATHER trilogy, has a total of eight quotes. Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch each have seven quotes (all from CASABLANCA), followed by Woody Allen with six and Cameron Crowe, William Goldman and Stanley Kubrick with five quotes each.

1939 is the most represented year with 19 movie quotes. 1942 has 17 quotes and 1980 has 12.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Meh list, fun to watch...but there could have been better ones for sure.

"My Name Is Inigo Montoya, You Killed My Father, Prepare To Die."

"As Far Back As I Can Remember, I Always Wanted To Be A Gangster."

"So, how do we know who's human? If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know it was really me?"

"I Have Come Here To Chew Bubblegum and Kick Ass. And I'm All Out Of Bubblegum."
Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
"Show me the blueprints, show me the blueprints, show me the blueprints, show me the blueprints....." ~The Aviator
Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
im suprised only one star wars quote, i can think of at least a dozen that should have made the list

if you only knew the power of the dark side
try not, do or do not. there is no try
wars not make one great
"im not afraid" "you will be, you will be..."
"i love you" "i know"
size matters not, look at me, judge me by my size do you?
thats no moon, thats a space station
impressive, most impressive

i could go on with tons more but star wars cant take up all the list.
but theres tons of other great quote that

"snakes, why'd it have to be snakes?"-raiders of the lost ark
"37!?"- clerks
those are the best i can think of right now that havent already been mentioned above
Old 06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
And a most glaring omission that I just remembered...

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Top fifteen, at least!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
definatley should have been some Glengarry Glen Ross quotes..."Coffee's for closers"
Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I wanted to see some Clockwork Orange quotes in there. I mean, who doesn't like the way they talked in that movie?

-Come and get one in the yarbles...if you have any yarbles!

I also would have liked to see at least one insult from the Sergent in Full Metal Jacket.

-5'9? I didn't know they stacked shit that high!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Even though I can't stand it, I think "Hasta La Vista, Baby" should've been at least in the top ten, it has to be the most repeated movie line in the history of the fucking world.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
In case anyone was wondering, I saw these a few weeks ago, but these are the 400 nominees:

http://afi.com/Docs/tvevents/pdf/quotes400.pdf
Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I was annoyed they completely ignored Tarantino
Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Based on what I read from the nominees, these should have also made the Top 100:

"Give me a whisky, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby." - Anna Christie (Anna Christie: Greta Garbo)

"Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?" - The Joker (Batman)

"Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker!" - John McClane (Die Hard)

"I am not an animal! I am a human being. I am a man." - John Merrick (The Elephant Man)

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart." - Micheal Corleone (The Godfather: Part II)

"Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young." - Ida Corwin (Mildred Pierce)

"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)

"What do they think I am, dumb or something?" - Lina Lamont (Singin' in the Rain)

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - Princess Leia (Star Wars: A New Hope)

"In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, and they had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." - Harry Lime (The Third Man)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." - Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Last edited by deep_red101; 06-22-2005 at 02:09 PM..
Old 06-22-2005, 02:09 PM
They really should have restricted it to one quote per movie. I don't really like seeing Casablanca's entire script up there.

After that, just 86 LOTR and Love Story and you've got a pretty damn good list.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I would've loved to see 'Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis!' on there, but I guess it was never meant to be.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Darko
I would've loved to see 'Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis!' on there, but I guess it was never meant to be.
Yeah, that and the bit about sunglasses, cigarettes, dark outside, hit it.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:33 PM
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Totally agree that any of Indy's snake lines should have been in there -- those are simply great, and a very strong part of the character.

I love that so many people also feel that Die Hard got stiffed -- that line is jsut great.

Also good to see some more love for the Grapes of Wrath lin -- I think that is one of the most powerful bits in motion picture history.

I agree with so much Cassablanca -- I've always conisdered that movie to be the most quotable film of all time, or at least the most quoted. The first time I saw it, I was ballistic catching all of these phrases I'd heard repeated time and time again.

Still think "Roads?" from B2TF is one of the greatest lines of all time.

And I thought of another great one - "Everybody remember where we parked." - Star Trek 4

"I Have Come Here To Chew Bubblegum and Kick Ass. And I'm All Out Of Bubblegum."

What's that from? I only remember from Dazed and Confused: ""I came here to do two things: drink beer and Kick Ass. We're almost out of beer."
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 PM
There's a lot of quotes that I wished were on the list but aren't, but only four that I'm absolutely shocked didn't make it:

"I am your father." (The Empire Strikes Back)

"How am I funny, like a clown?" (Goodfellas)

"These go to eleven." (This is Spinal Tap)

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart." (The Godfather Part II)