At long last, the official trailer for Tim Burton's Dark Shadows is here!

03.15.2012by: Jake Dee

No use beating around the bush on this one...the official trailer for Tim Burton's DARK SHADOWS has just been cast online, and we've got it below for you to soak up. Do so now!

I've been awfully hard on this bastard in recent weeks, mainly because I so care about many of the principals involved (Depp and Pfeiffer particularly). I now see the campy stylings are completely deliberate, though I'm not sure how excited we should be to see what essentially becomes a fish-out-of-water sitcom...with Depp as an effeminate bloodsucker. Good for a laugh I suppose, but one thing's for sure...this ain't no horror flick.

In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas has the world at his feet¡ªor at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Brouchard. A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.

Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman, to help with her family troubles.

Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth's ne'er-do-well brother, Roger Collins; her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard; and Roger's precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins. The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis and David's new nanny, Victoria Winters.

Johnny Depp, Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, Chloe Moretz, Gulliver McGrath, Bella Heathcote, Ray Shirley and Jonny Lee Miller comprise the all-star cast.

DARK SHADOWS comes out May 11th.

Horror Movie Posters
Extra Tidbit: Be honest, what's the verdict?
Source: AITH

4:07PM on 03/16/2012
judging from these comments, you'd think none of you had seen a Burton film! i fully expected this and i think it looks pretty cool. did you really want a "serious" Burton remake a la his "Planet of the Apes" drek?

11:34AM on 03/16/2012
Looks fun but would've been more intersting had Burton tried a more died in the wool horror approach than high camp.

3:20AM on 03/16/2012
I had hope for this and even still had hope for the first few mins of the trailer, till it turned campy as hell. IF I watch this at all it will be for free when it comes on tv. Such a damn shame too! This could have been great

2:44AM on 03/16/2012
I know I'm in the minority having enjoyed pretty much everything Burton's done so far... but... this is the first thing he's done to piss me off. Honestly, how could he do this? Unless the trailer is MASSIVELY mis-marketing the movie and it's actually much more serious and dark, then I've finally lost some respect for Burton.

11:49PM on 03/15/2012

Dark Humor?

Not what I was expecting because the series was spooky and had no comedic elements though Johnny Depp is best in these type of roles and kind of reminds me of The Adams Family films but come on this looks like a cheap spoof. I'm not sold!

9:30PM on 03/15/2012
told ya so.
told ya so.

9:18PM on 03/15/2012

Dark Shadows: the sitcom.

Did Tim Burton have a bizarre idea for a joke here? I've watched a few episodes of the original Dark Shadows and while it was a little campy it had a quaint sort of melodramatic charm to it. This is just a joke. I mean When I heard burton was doing Dark Shadows I thought "Ooh! a vampire drama to reshape the genre as people used to see vampires; as weird things that had their own motivations with bizarre plots and turns of events!" This is the exact opposite of what I expected. Johnny Depp brings very little of the eery class that permeated the original and none of the other characters are even referred to by name. Another piece for Burton and Depp to make an easy few million off of. And why in Odin's name is Burton doinG a weird sex scene? Honestly his work has to be some of the most sexless I can think of (romantic? Definitely? Sexually provocative? NO!)

Moore, Mandy