It came to the US earlier this year, now the UK is getting theirs: the controversial Australian shocker WAKE IN FRIGHT will be hitting UK Blu-ray/DVD for the first time in 2014.
Following a UK & Eire theatrical release on March 7, 2014, WAKE IN FRIGHT will be released in a Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition as part of Eureka! Entertainment's award-winning The Masters of Cinema Series on March 31st.
Starring Donald Pleasance, Gary Bond, Sylvia Kay, and Chips Rafferty, and directed by Ted Kotcheff (FIRST BLOOD) the film goes like this:
A middle-class schoolteacher, stuck in a government-enforced teaching post in an arid backwater, stops off in the mining town of Bundanyabba on his way home for the Christmas holidays. Discovering a local gambling craze that may grant him the financial independence to move back to Sydney for good, the opportunity proves irresistible. But the bad decisions are just beginning and a reliance on local standards of hospitality in "the Yabba" may take him on a path darker than ever expected.
Special features on the UK release include:- New high-definition 1080p presentation of the film, from the 2009 restoration
- Audio commentary with director Ted Kotcheff and editor Anthony Buckley
- A selection of video pieces, including new interviews and rare behind-the-scenes footage
- Original US Outback TV spot
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
- PLUS: A booklet featuring writing on the film, its restoration, rare imagery, and more!
Watch the 40th anniversary trailer below.