Celebrate Saw's 10th anniversary as it returns to theaters this Halloween

08.27.2014by: Ryan Miller
100%

It’s hard to believe that we’re already celebrating the 10th anniversary of James Wan and Leigh Whannell’s indie horror hit SAW, but sure enough, that's exactly what we are doing! That’s right, folks, SAW is cutting its way into theaters once again this Halloween for one week only as the film will open on Friday, October 31st, with select screenings beginning Thursday night, October 30th. SAW was just the beginning of what would turn into the most successful horror franchise in history, and now you have the chance to see it on the big screen again. The seven SAW films grossed $874 million at the box office worldwide and were hailed by the Guinness Book of World Records as the “Most Successful Horror Franchise” of all time.

SAW was the first collaboration for co-creators James Wan, who directed the film, and Leigh Whannell, who wrote the screenplay. Together, they also created the successful INSIDIOUS franchise, and Wan has gone on to direct such high-profile films as THE CONJURING and the upcoming FAST & FURIOUS 7.

Directed by Wan from a script penned by Whannell, SAW is a psychological thriller focusing on two men who wake up in a secure lair of a serial killer, with a dead body lying between them. The killer, nicknamed “Jigsaw,” leaves them tape recorded messages with details of how to make it out alive. The only way for one man to make it out alive is to do the unthinkable. The two men desperately try to find a way out, while also trying to figure out who's behind their kidnapping. The film, which was released over Halloween weekend on October 29, 2004, was produced by Gregg Hoffman, Oren Koules, and Mark Burg.

Extra Tidbit: What's your favorite moment in all of the SAW franchise?

9:12PM on 08/28/2014

YES. The end of the first film is one of the top ten "mind blowing" endings in all of film

I don't know if I have EVER been more blown away by the end of a movie.
I don't know if I have EVER been more blown away by the end of a movie.

11:34PM on 08/27/2014

extra tidbit

I'll have to agree with netforce...I didn't see the ending of the first film coming at all. I jumped to the edge of my seat, jaw dropped and i've never looked at films the same way since.

5:46AM on 08/28/2014
Thanks, man. I think the ending that came really close to the first Saw movie is the ending of Saw 2. Still, the first Saw for me.
2:48PM on 08/28/2014
Saw 2 was really cool, but the third film for me gave me the ending as close to the original...for that I really love the third film as well.
9:32PM on 08/28/2014
Hmm, I guess I need to watch all Saw films in a row since I only watched Saw 1-3 and that was a long time ago.
7:21PM on 08/27/2014
Extra tidbit: At the very end of the 3rd act of the first Saw movie when everything is revealed. My jaw dropped to the ground.

Mara, Kate