Dissecting Actor Kurt Russell

May. 28, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

Kurt Russell

Buy ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK here!

There have been few actors out there that have embodied the truest notion of badassness: John Wayne, Steven McQueen, and the exemplary Kurt Russell. Seriously, the current generation of actors could learn a thing or two about how to be cool, bleed testosterone, and how to rock a serious mane from Russell, a guy whos been making movies for most of his life. But it wasnt until the early 80s did Russell find his own (with the help of John Carpenter), and the rest, as they say, is history. Lets take a look at that history so we can all feel a little more badass by mere association.

BEST WORK

Buy THE THING here!

As mentioned earlier, Russell had been starring in Disney movies and TV shows since he was a kid, but it wasnt until he starred as the impeccable Snake Plissken in 1981s ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK did the world begin to notice Russell, not as a child star, but as a true f*ckin mans man. The toughest motor scooter out there that wasnt bursting with muscles or a thick accent, but rather rockin an eye-patch and full head of hair. From there, he teamed up with Carpenter again with THE THING and hammered the notion of awesomeness home even harder to the masses and the world has been a better place ever since.

Theres always a charm, and it was the case when he took on one of the greatest movie characters of all time: Jack Burton, in 1986s John Carpenters BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, where tank tops, snarky come-backs, and uzis came back into style (did they ever leave????). From there, Russell did more action with TANGO & CASH (alongside fellow action star Sylvester Stallone), rocked the thriller with UNLAWFUL ENTRY, hit the Western front with TOMBSTONE, entered the realm of sci-fi with STARGATE, and took the skies with a DIE HARD on a plane scenario with EXECUTIVE DECSION. And if that wasn't enough, he was the lead in Quentin Tarantinos DEATH PROOF, a film that has split movie-fans since its release. Im in love with it, others hate it, but regardless of your opinion of the movie, you cannot deny Russells awesomeness in it. In other words, the man has done it all and I even left out all of his dramas, comedies, romantic comedies, and other shenanigans that has no place here on Arrow in the Head. The guys well-versed and thats why hes a f*ckin living legend.

WORST WORK

Buy ESCAPE FROM LA here!

Even a legend like Russell has had a few bad seeds, but honestly even his bad stuff isnt all that bad. Except maybe ESCAPE FROM LA that shit is just awful. Sure, bringing Plissken back to the big screen seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect, its just too hokey, too goofy, and not near as badass as ESCAPE FROM NY was. Also, its f*cking horrendous. I always kind of liked his sci-fi action flick SOLDIER, but even I can recognize that while its somewhat entertaining, its mostly forgettable and not even close to being in the same league as his other quality flicks. Otherwise, the man has had almost a flawless run and thats as rare as it gets.

TRADEMARKS

Buy BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA here!

Kurt Russells a mans man but hes also a ladies man, and thats part of his appeal. Also, he has a magnificent head of hair. I keep coming back to his hair, but seriously, the guys hair should be embodied and saved in a museum, if thats even possible. They should take an imprint of that thing and slap it in cement on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Russells charming, hes also the roughest, toughest, manliest dude in the world, and he has the acting chops to match. Plus, hes at his best when hes angry, when hes yelling, when hes delivering monologues, or when hes being the everyman that gets thrust into a difficult situation. When the shit goes down, pray you have someone like Russell in your pocket, as he always knows what to do.

HIDDEN GEM

Buy BREAKDOWN here!

I dont know if BREAKDOWN is hidden as much as it is underrated. The flicks about a couple on a road trip who encounter car trouble, which leads them in a thrilling battle with local thugs, criminal undergrounds, shady cops, kidnapping, truckers, and all around intensity that doesnt let go for the full 90 minutes. Russell is great as your average middle-aged dude who has to turn into a hero to save his wife from the scum of the Earth. Then you add up the supporting cast, including Kathleen Quinlan and J.T. Walsh, and director Jonathan Mostow (SURROGATES and TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES) and you pretty much have an exhilarating time at the movies.

NEXT PROJECT

Buy STARGATE here!

A guy like Russell is never short of work, and at this point of his career, he can pick and choose whatever the hell he wants, and can make as many (or as little) movies he feels like. This is probably why he only really has a few upcoming projects up his sleeve, one of which dips into the genre we hold so dear to our hearts: horror. The flicks called BONE TOMAHAWK, and according to IMDb, it goes a little something like this: Four men set out in the Wild West to rescue a group of captives from cannibalistic cave dwellers. Ok, so its partly horror (cannibalistic cave dwellers) and partly a western (set out in the Wild West), both of which point to awesome (remember how great Russell was in TOMBSTONE), so count me in, for sure! Also: is it me, or does it sound like a Cowboy version of C.H.U.D. (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers)?

OVERALL

Buy DEATH PROOF here!

There are true Hollywood badasses and then theres Kurt Russell, a guy who practically defines what badass truly means, and is practically a living legend of the Hollywood elite. From classic collaborations with John Carpenter (ESCAPE FROM NY, THE THING, and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA), to westerns (TOMBSTONE) to the buddy-cop action flick (TANGO & CASH) to taunt thrillers (UNLAWFUL ENTRY and BREAKDOWN) and everything in-between, the guy has (practically) a flawless record, even without the help of Quentin Tarantino. And good God, does the guy have magnificent hair.

Extra Tidbit: What's your favorite Kurt Russell flick?

2:42PM on 05/29/2013

CAPTAIN RON

I forgot to mention CAPTAIN RON above, but I fucking love that movie, too!
I forgot to mention CAPTAIN RON above, but I fucking love that movie, too!

8:36PM on 05/28/2013

Classic actor and a classy guy

A friend of mine once served him at a restaurant and he was very friendly and gracious to her. Left a big tip, too.

He's one of the greats, IMO. His Disney movies could be considered bad seeds, but those were at the beginning of his career when he was trying to establish himself. Other than that, some great movies in his resume.

2:38PM on 05/29/2013
Hell yeah, that's awesome! I'm jealous of your friend!
Hell yeah, that's awesome! I'm jealous of your friend!
5:12PM on 05/28/2013
Excellent underated actor. As already stated you can watch him in anything. Glad to see the boards showing love for Overboard, Unlawful Entry and Tequila Sunrise (Pfieffer as well!!) with much love also to The Thing, Big Trouble and Death Proof for me (yeah I fall by the side of loving that piece of cinematic Marmite). Too many others to mention.

2:39PM on 05/29/2013
I still believe DEATH PROOF is one of the most underrated movies of the last decade!
3:21PM on 05/29/2013
Amen Ammon!
Amen Ammon!
4:19PM on 05/28/2013

I love this man!!!!!

I've been harking on about Breakdown for years and nobody ever listens. He is just one of those actors you can watch no matter what the film. Hell, I watched Overboard last week. Also I want to give a shout out to Tequila Sunrise and Dark Blue.

2:40PM on 05/29/2013
Fuuuuck, forgot about DARK BLUE! Hell yeah man, he does an awesome job as a shady cop!
2:36PM on 05/28/2013

love the man

Anything with carpenter.
Breaddown and unlawful entry are great as well.
Anything with carpenter.
Breaddown and unlawful entry are great as well.

1:02PM on 05/28/2013

What about hisElvis connetions??

This article didn't even mention Kurt's Elvis connections which further solidify him in Classy BadAssdome!!
As a child Kurt actually got to kick the KING OF ROCK AND ROLL, ELVIS HIMSELF, in the shin in It Happened at the Worlds Fair. Only to go on 20 years later and actually play Elvis in the John Carpenter Elvisbiopic flick. Then he had the opportunity to play (SPOILE ALERT) the illegitimate son of the King in the bad ass action flick 3000 Miles to Graceland, along side a villainous Kevin Kostner!! The movie rocks and Kurt is great in it. Who doesn't love Elvis and who doesn't love Russell?? Putting them together Is DYNOMITE!!!! (J.J. WALKER).

2:42PM on 05/29/2013
If only he was hired to play Elvis in TRUE ROMANCE! It would have made so much sense.

Never new all that about him and Elvis... you're right, it makes him EVEN MORE BADASS!!!!!!

9:57AM on 05/28/2013
Another hidden gem I'd recommend is Overboard with Goldie Hawn. Kurt Russell is actually quite good at comedy too. Too bad he doesn't do much comedy role. Still, Escape From New York and The Thing are his best works. Extra tidbit: The Thing and Tango & Cash.

Monroe, Maika