Dissecting Actress Famke Janssen

May. 14, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

Famke Janssen

Buy X-MEN here!

There are plenty of hot Scream Queens working todaythat much is a given. But hot Scream Queens that also star in big budget summer blockbusters? Or hot Scream Queens that tend to get even hotter with age? Theres only one like that who fits the bill: the incredibly beautiful Famke Janssen. Thats right folks, Janssen is one of those hotties who, like a fine wine, seems to get better with age she also gets a steady flow of work in the genre and continues to pick cool and interesting projects, from the small screen (HEMLOCK GROVE) to the big screen (THE WOLVERINE) and then some! Not too shabby for a chick who made her start as a Bond girl. So with that, lets dive deep inside the wonderful world of Famke Janssen!

BEST WORK

Buy THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL here!

Janssen raised eyebrows and made a name for herself starring opposite Pierce Brosnan as a Bond girl in GOLDENEYE and shes been wreaking shit up ever since. Actually, I lied the same year (1995) she also starred in a little Clive Barker project called LORD OF ILLUSION not too shabby of a debut year, if I do say so myself. She then starred in the criminally underrated my-teacher-is-an-alien flick THE FACULTY, and was part of yet another eclectic cast when she took part as Geoffrey Rushs power-hungry wife in the highly entertaining THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL REMAKE. All this great stuff and its still the 90s!

Janssen then busted out with X-MEN and her role as Jean Grey returned again and again and again, and were all super grateful for it. Say what you will about the Bryan Singer comic book flicks, they paved the way for the comic book movies we have today. So theres that. Janssen also starred in another highly underrated flick, 100 FEET a little ghost story from director (and friend of the site) Eric Red and co-starring Michael Pare and John The Arrow Fallon. For those who enjoy tight little ghost stories, all within the confines of a single setting, then its definitely one to check out. And finally the TAKEN series, as Liam Neesons ex-wife. I f*cking love these movies and I f*cking love Janssen in them.

WORST WORK

Buy HIDE AND SEEK here!

It pleases me to say that for a career that spans close to 20 years, Janssen only has a couple of bad flicks under her belt. She was in HIDE AND SEEK, with Dakota Fanning and Robert DeNiro. No fault to her, but f*ck that movie sucked. I pretty much hated every second of it, from beginning to end. And while her role as Jean Grey is iconic, X-MEN: THE LAST STAND was pretty horrendous of a movie. Its not a good comic book movie, its not a good sequel (especially since X2 was so great), and lets face it they killed off Janssen. Not cool, guys not cool!

And finally, and most recently, the Netflix Original series, HEMLOCK GROVE. Oh, how I hated HEMLOCK GROVE. I stuck through all 13 episodes and had to tear my face off through every excruciatingly painful minute of it. The story was lame, the episodes were boring, it tried to do too much too fast and didnt know where to go once it got there, and I hated all the characters. Janssen played the rich kids hot mom, and she had her share of steamy sex scenes in it which I totally appreciated but she also rocked this weird accent for no apparent reason at all, and her role was so one dimensional that even though she was sexy and sultry and evil she was boring. Damn you, HEMLOCK GROVE! You tarnished Janssens almost-perfect record!

TRADEMARKS

Buy THE FACULTY here!

While I hated HEMLOCK GROVE, it did cater to showcasing what Janssen does best: sexy, sultry, powerful, fragile and yet, theres always some sort of underlying evil going on about her. Not to say that shes notoriously a bad guy, in fact most her roles shes the heroine, but theres something behind those dark eyes that isnt all rainbows and unicorns which is what makes her so goddamn attractive. Well, that and the fact that shes a total MILF and one of the hottest brunettes working in the business right now.

HIDDEN GEM

Buy DEEP RISING here!

One of my favorite monster movies of all time is also one of the most underrated flicks every made: Stephen Sommers DEEP RISING, starring the great Treat Williams and the lovely Famke Janssen. Think TITANIC meets CLOVERFIELD, except with more tentacles, more bad guys, a tougher hero (the toughest hero ever, actually), a hotter heroine, and just an all-around more entertaining good time. Its hard to believe DEEP RISING isnt heralded for its monstrous effects, its big-bang set pieces, or the fact that its DIE HARD on a boat with monsters and the delectably charming Treat f*cking Williams in the house. And yeah, Janssen is pretty goddamn good in it, too. If you havent seen it, you need to right now!

NEXT PROJECT

Buy HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS here!

The great thing about a talented hottie like Janssen is that there is never a lack of work coming her way. In a few weeks, her role as the lead Witch in HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS debuts on DVD and Blu-ray Ive heard this flick is entertaining, but as I havent seen it yet, I couldnt tell you if its worth the price of admission or not. Next month Janssen returns to theaters as Jean Grey in THE WOLVERINE, a flick that has many people foaming at the mouth, and lets be honest part of the draw and anticipation for that one is that Grey is returning to the WOLVERINE/X-MEN universe. Good stuff. Janssen also has THE BEING EXPERIENCE and A FIGHTING MAN scheduled for later this year and then after that, who knows? A bunch of more great stuff will be on its way, no doubt.

OVERALL

Buy 100 FEET here!

There are a ton of Scream Queens working in Hollywood right now, but none as MILFy, talented, hot, or as interesting as the wonderfully attractive Famke Janssen. From GOLDENEYE to DEEP RISING, from TAKEN to X2, from THE FACULTY to THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, from LORD OF ILLUSION to the surprisingly spooky 100 FEET where Janssen carries the entire movie on her own (more or less), Janssen has proved herself time and time again as a force to be reckoned with, rewarding audiences with each project shes in with her brown-haired radiance and sultry sexiness that cant be matched.

2:12PM on 05/15/2013
You ought to watch The Wackness. Fantastic indie movie set in the mid 90s. Has a killer soundtrack and pretty good acting. Famke plays Sir Ben Kingsly bitch of a wife.

11:42AM on 05/15/2013
She is a fantastic actress. She's so likable, even when she's playing a douche character in Hemlock Grove. Love you Jean Grey.

9:31PM on 05/14/2013
I noticed her in Lord of Illusions and , like a good bottle of wine , she got better and hotter with age.Perfect !

8:37PM on 05/14/2013
Famke Janssen makes my peepee feel funny.
Famke Janssen makes my peepee feel funny.

5:02PM on 05/14/2013
As you say below to each his own. I'm a sucker for cheesy Hollywood thrillers so I dug Hide and Seek. Famke is an actress I would sit through turgid shit just to watch as she herself is always watchable even when wasted - as she definately was in Xmen Last Stand. They missed a trick with her storyline there which is a shame as given better script she would have killed it. Still did a good job with what she had though. I enjoyed 100 feet, Loved Deep Rising and House on Haunted Hill. I always felt the end of that movie should have been her living to bring in more souls for the house.
I wouldn't get too excited about the Wolverine though - word is it's little more than a blink and you'll miss it cameo.
I cannot get over how hot she still is though. Just....HOT

12:45PM on 05/14/2013
I'm sorry, but "100 Feet" is a FAR worse film than "Hide and Seek". The writing was stilted, as was the pacing, and it felt as though the director totally failed Janssen, who gave one of her weaker performances. The whole piece came off as over the top, unintentionally. "Hide and Seek"'s only real detrimental aspect was its 'blah' ending, but the strong performances, tension, and decent characters made it compelling.
"X-Men-The Last Stand" isn't nearly as horrible as people make it out to be.
"X-Men-The Last Stand" isn't nearly as horrible as people make it out to be. Yes, it strays from the comic, but could anyone have *actually* expected them to faithfully adapt the Phoenix storyline as it existed? That is naive thinking, sorry. The biggest problem with it was the two plots couldn't co-exist, and as a result, it became clunky. Largely, the way they handled the Phoenix in the film was actually very good (the scenes in Jean Grey's childhood home, and the finale between her and Wolverine were fantastic), it just got steamrolled by the insipid cure storyline. Moreover, Janssen was always terrific as Jean Grey, especially in the third pic (and despite what Halle Berry clearly wished, Janssen's Jean was always the female lead and heart of the films, obviously). The third film gets too much heat, but I get it: Brett Ratner sucks, and "X2" was fantastic.
I've yet to see "Hansel and Gretel", but since it was said in a tidbit on AITH that Janssen only did it to "pay her mortgage", I don't have high hopes...and I've only seen the first episode of "Hemlock Grove"...and that was mediocre, to say the least.
However, it is true that Janssen looks as gorgeous as ever, and without any clear signs of cosmetic surgery...always been a favorite actress of mine.

1:56PM on 05/14/2013
I dig your opinions here man, you've thought a lot about X3, 100 FEET, and HIDE & SEEK!
2:03PM on 05/14/2013
That's actually because Famke was one of my first crushes...I saw her in "House on Haunted Hill" when I was about 8 (at the movies no less, haha), as well as "X-Men", and I was smitten. It's true, she keeps getting more and more gorgeous. She also had an incredible guest starring arc on "Nip/Tuck", which is probably my favorite role of hers.
There was a time I'd see any move she was in just by her name being attached...regardless of the subject matter...which led me to watching her "Love and Sex" when I was about 10.
4:05PM on 05/14/2013
Oh shit, I forgot about her role on NIP/TUCK! You're right, that shit was epic!
Oh shit, I forgot about her role on NIP/TUCK! You're right, that shit was epic!
12:44PM on 05/14/2013

She is great

but X2 SUCKED!
but X2 SUCKED!

1:57PM on 05/14/2013
To each his own, sir.... to each his own!
To each his own, sir.... to each his own!
12:06PM on 05/14/2013
I think her worst work is "I, Spy" with Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy in which the whole movie is a train wreck. Anyhow, Ms. Janssen is an amazing actress. I'd say her best work is 100 Feet which she practically carried the whole movie.

1:58PM on 05/14/2013
Good call on I, SPY, yo! I totally forgot she was in that steaming pile of donkey shit. And yes, I agree with you... she carries 100 FEET, and she carries it well!
1:25AM on 05/15/2013
I really want to like I, Spy but it just sucks.
I really want to like I, Spy but it just sucks.
10:42AM on 05/14/2013