Do you want to see Sinister 2? It may happen..

Feb. 1, 2013by: Eric Walkuski

My favorite horror film of 2012 was indisputably Scott Derrickson's menacing and scary SINISTER, and I know I'm not alone. Horror films that actually frighten me don't come along very often, so when one does it must be celebrated. I liked it so much that I'm of the mind that a sequel is necessary; I want to see more Mr. Boogie, pronto.

Naturally, it's likely one will come along. Budgeted at $3 million, SINISTER grossed $62 million worldwide and it hasn't even entered the home video market yet (that happens in a few weeks). So what's the status of SINISTER? UK site SciFi Now spoke with Derrickson and his writing partner C. Robert Cargill and got the scoop.

"I certainly want to write the script and be involved with it as the producer I would possibly direct the next one, well see," Derrickson told the site. But I dont see myself just handing the franchise over to just anybody and letting it go... If it goes on then maybe but I want to see it start its process on the right foot at least, and always have some say and have some involvement in it.

Cargill added: Before we finished the movie Scott and I had a discussion about the things we dont want to do, and spitballed just a couple of things that we would like to do given the opportunity, but its all still theoretical stages Oh, hey, wouldnt that be cool everyones still waiting to see on the lifecycle of the movie how everything pans out before everybody jumps up and says, Yes! We must have a second one!

So while it doesn't seem imminent, it looks like the boys are mulling it over. And why not? The very nature of the villain indicates that several movies are possible. And if they're as effective as the first one, hell, I'm all for it. Read the interview in its entirety HERE.

SINISTER comes home on February 19th. Pre-order the Blu-ray HERE or the DVD HERE.

Extra Tidbit: How would you feel about a SINISTER 2 coming to life?
Source: SciFi Now

8:09AM on 02/02/2013
I would love a sequel. This movie was brilliantly scar.
I would love a sequel. This movie was brilliantly scar.

9:09PM on 02/01/2013
You write, "The very nature of the villain indicates that several movies are possible. And if they're as effective as the first one, hell, I'm all for it." Sinister 2 could occur for exactly the reason you list and under exactly the circumstances that you mention. Sinister's Bughuul ventures from one kill to the next, and his next kills are always different from the last. The film-makers need to keep Mr. Boogie's story fresh in some way. They might struggle to do so now that Bughuul is not a mysterious figure such as he is in the first Sinister. However, Sinister 2 does work if the angry god remains fresh and interesting.

4:56PM on 02/01/2013
The movie was good, but nothing to talk much about. The demon was the worst part of it., Just a guy with a mask with no timing to scare. The best were the home movies, and Hawke is a great lead. But, not really expecting a sequel myself.

2:42PM on 02/01/2013

1:35PM on 02/01/2013
The movie was so slow and boring. The entire film literally consisted of one man watching old video footage. I don't understand where the hype or the scares were that people claim was in this movie. Everyone that left the showing before our's was mumbling, "how dumb" and "go get your money back, that shit is stupid!!" - We should have listened!

11:45AM on 02/01/2013
Sinister is really scary. But sequel? I don't know how that would play out. This kind of horror movie should be a stand-alone horror movie.

Terell, Taryn