SIN CITY: Recut & Extended
This film deserves to be mentioned upon this site because it is such a bad-ass film, even if it is not "completely" horror. If you we're one of the thousands to buy the first DVD, a rather simple, single-disc DVD version, I have good news. No you didn't save a bunch of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico, but you will be getting a nice, shiny, new Sin City: Recut & Extended (check Arrow's review here). Available on December 13th, the set also included the original Theatrical 124 minute version and the new 147 minute version. Not only do you get 23 brand-spanking new minutes of sinful action (or dialogue) but you also get the following...
- Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
- English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks
- A commentary with director Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller
- A second commentary with Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino
- A third commentary containing Austin Premiere crowd reaction!
- A 15 minute film school with the director
- A Movie in High-Speed Green Screen feature
- 17 uninterrupted minutes of Tarantino's segment
- Footage of a Sin City cast/crew party
- A 10 minute cooking school with Robert Rodriquez
- Four featurettes on the cars
- Special effects make-up
- Costumes and props
- A featurette on how they convinced Miller to assist with the film
- Another featurette on casting
- A featurette on Tarantino the guest director
- An interactive game
- Sin City graphic novel (The Hard Goodbye)
This DVD is more along the lines of how the treatment should be for such a great flick. Don't waste another minute with that pathetic disc that you have in your collection. Pre-order the Sin City: Recut & Extended,
Chris Fisher's HILLSIDE STRANGLER
You may have seen this "similar" flick sitting on the shelves of your nearest money-hogging video rental facility (or Video Store). This Hillside Strangler is an alternative version of the film opposite of Chuck Parello's version, much like the Exorcist Prequel situation. Chris Fisher's version is said to be more sexually charged and provocative. If that's up your alley than this should be more than enough to satisfy your needs. The DVD will debut on January 10th, 2006. Quite a journey until it's released but here's the early scoop on the extras...
- Missing scenes
- Commentary by Brittany Daniel and Clifton Collins Jr.
- Commentary by Eliot Rocker and the DP
- Cast/crew photos, etc.
- English and French 5.1 audio
- Fisher and Rockett audio commentary
- Daniel and Collins audio commentary
- Deleted scenes
- Photo gallery
Just looking at the cover of Murder-Set-Pieces (see Arrow's review) you get the premise of the film, Ultra-Violent, bloody, disturbing, cynical and horrifying, sounds like a good time to me. The DVD is set for an October 24th release. Fright Flix Productions has been backing up it's new title by calling it "shockingly controversial" and that bodes well for the genre, as it is lacking in disturbing flicks. Here's a look at the specs of the DVD...
- Widescreen (1.85:1) director's cut remastered from the 35mm negative
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound
- Audio commentary by Palumbo and lead actor Sven Garrett, moderated by Ultra Violent magazine managing editor Art Ettinger
- Deleted scenes
- Special introduction by Palumbo
- “Gallery of Outrage”
- Production photos
- Theatrical trailers and more!
TREMORS: Attack Pack
What do you call something that goes from great and exciting to boring and predictable? If you guessed marital sex, your wrong, the answer is The Tremors Franchise. Universal has given us the full details on the upcoming Tremors: Attack Pack. The pack contains all four Tremors films, ranging from great to not-so-great (or down right pathetic). The total number of discs is two, so I assume that there will be two films on each disc. For a full list of movie titles and extras look below...
- Tremors 2: Aftershocks
- Tremors 3: Back to Perfection
- Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
- Making of Tremors featurette
- Behind the scenes featurette
- Theatrical trailers
- Cast profiles
- Production photographs
If you love watching giant worm-like creatures burst from beneath the ground, Pre-Order The Tremor Pack.
That's it for this installment in DVD Buzz-Saw , check back in the next column for news on MORE HORROR DVD NEWS !