Fede Alvarez talks Evil Dead 2: waiting on the 'right idea'

05.05.2014by: Kevin Woods
100%

Several months ago we learned that EVIL DEAD director Fede Alvarez was still onboard the sequel to last years hit remake, stating that the continutation was 'very much alive', although there hasn't been any word as to when we can expect it to happen. Flash forward several months and today the status of the proposed sequel remains much the same, although Alvarez has suggested that it will happen when the time is right.

Speaking with Shock Till You Drop, Alvarez shared that he's still very much interested in making EVIL DEAD 2 happen, but is waiting on the 'right idea', stating...

"Sam, Bruce and Rob Tapert and I are good friends and we talk to one another often and we're always coming up with new ideas and projects," he said. "Sam is teasing Army of Darkness 2, which he is working on the script with his brother, but at the same time Evil Dead 2 is something we definitely want to do at some point. But part of the reason I think the last one was successful is because Sam took his time to find the right team of people to do it. We took the time to find the right script and all of that. If you had Evil Dead 2 coming out the following year, it's just for the market, not because you've found the right idea. It takes time to find the right idea and that's what we're doing. It's always in the background and always in our heads. And every time I talk with Sam, we're bouncing around ideas to find what would be the perfect sequel."

I can appreciate that they weren't quick to churn out a sequel just to make a buck. Alvarez and company seem genuinely interested in making a quality sequel that fans will appreciate. That's actually quite refreshing to hear in this day and age of quickie cash-grab sequels. Still, I'm eager for a sequel so let's hope that right idea comes to them soon!

Extra Tidbit: Which film would you be more excited to see? An EVIL DEAD sequel or ARMY OF DARKNESS 2?
Source: STYD

2:50PM on 05/06/2014
I'm actually more excited for an Evil Dead 2! While I love the original trilogy, the third part was always my least favourite. It's a good film, but I didn't love it like I loved the first two films.

10:15PM on 05/05/2014

Evil Dead 2 remake

stop me before you shoot but I never was very impressed with Army of Darkness. it never was a sequel that connected to the first two movies in terms of horror and gore.

9:38PM on 05/05/2014
Extra tidbit: Evil Dead sequel for me and I'm glad they're waiting for the right script to come along. I really like the first movie.

7:08PM on 05/05/2014
I am definitely more excited about AOD 2. The Evil Dead remake was pretty awesome as well. But c'mon! This is Bruce and Sam we're talking about!!! How can you not get pumped?!

6:50PM on 05/05/2014
"Which film would you be more excited to see? An EVIL DEAD sequel or ARMY OF DARKNESS 2?". Huh? I thought they were making both and then a crossover.

6:59PM on 05/05/2014
That's the last I heard as well.
That's the last I heard as well.
9:36PM on 05/05/2014
Yeah, I heard about that too. Maybe there'd be a crossover once Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness 2 are finished or something.

Roberts, Emma