Face-Off: Terminator Vs. Robocop

04.02.2012by: Mike Catalano
Well, it appeared with our last Face-Off Winner, no one had any major qualms about Jamie Lee Curtis reigning supreme as horror's number one Scream Queen. Although, it was more than evident that Danielle Harris definitely brings the hotness.

For our latest Face-Off, we decided to go the real steel route and pit two mostly metal cyborg-style heavyweights against each other. Whether they're in the future or traveling to the past, they're about to do battle in the present at AITH. It's time to pit Robocop against Terminator!
Catchphrase
"Dead or alive... you're coming with me."

Even though the T-800's catchphrase has stood the test of time, I'm giving the edge here to Robo. Why, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya: sure, The Terminator's line is great, but what does it say about him in terms of a character? That he's going to return? Sure, but that's about it. You don't get the full summation of this cyborg's conviction like you do with Robocop's blunt affirmation. Plus, Robo's catchphrase is used twice in the film to perfect plot-enhancing effect, so if anyone has a problem with that... drop it, creep!

"I'll be back."

So simple! So to the point! And with stone cold authority! There might not be a more iconic line from a film and it's only three words! I'm almost certain that any time someone utters this phrase, they think of Arnold and his robotic assassin alter ego. It's spoken as both a farewell and a grave warning and positively pops with bad-ass electricity. How many times has a 3-word sentence become the calling card for a towering action star? Impressive.

Weapon
When did his fellow human police officers realize that Robo was a bad-ass force to be reckoned with? The second he whipped out that modified 9-millimeter Beretta in the shooting range and began blowing the target board to bits. Then, when he started using it on the bad guys, the three-shot bursts causing flesh to explode, the criminal underworld knew they had the right to remain scared shitless.

Although the T-800 has manned many a weapon, what he is most associated with is the simple shotgun. Ironic, considering he's an advanced machine from the future. However, there's nothing more menacing than watching him walking into a room with his shotgun held high or aiming it forward while riding a motorcycle.

Job Performance
Yes, Robo brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "protect and serve". With a strong directive to clean up the streets of Detroit, he went above and beyond, taking on "Red" from That 70's Show and his evil band of drug-dealing cohorts. He even stands up to giant, machine gun-firing robots as well as upgraded "cyborg" versions of himself. At the end of the day, his catch phrase still holds true: "Dead or alive... you're coming with me."

The Terminator is specifically programmed to do one of two things: either kill off John Connor or protect John Connor... at any cost. He performs the tasks very admirably, especially the protection one where he took down newer, more advanced terminators that seemed impossible to destroy. The only reason this category doesn't end in a tie is because, technically, he didn't fully complete his first mission.

Vulnerability?
It would be pretty tough to take down Robo. He's essentially bulletproof, weighs a ton, and sports some serious fire power. If you want to even try to slow him down, you have to basically have a militia of shooters with automatic weapons or the biggest blow torch in the world. But, he is still at the mercy of his motherboard and can be programmed to shut down if he tries to arrest certain bad guys.

This cyborg is nearly unstoppable. Even if you fill him full of bullets, he's still got that hardcore endoskeleton underneath, which ain't going down unless you happen to have a hydraulic press handy. In fact, the only truly effective way for the Terminator to be destroyed is to cause it to happen by himself (though he can not self-terminate). That's tough stuff.

Human Capacity?
Though mostly machine, Robo is still able to somehow remember small parts of the life he had as a human. And even tough his programming is against it, he still strives to be more man than machine. Hence, his understanding of and therefore, adaptability towards conveying sides of the human condition is superior.
At first, one wouldn't even consider the Terminator a candidate for the human condition. However, as exemplified at the end of T2, he is able to learn the value of human life: "I know now why you cry..." Unfortunately, he also seals his own fate for, at least, this category: "but it's something I could never do."
Body Count
One thing is fo'sho... Robo never shies away from blowing assholes away! My iron man was responsible for somewhere on the upside of roughly 45 bad guy deaths. Talk about dishing out the right to remain deathly silent! Considering his weapon as well as his catchphrase, it's no surprise how well Robo excells in adding up them bodies!
Even though his name would suggest a huge number, our Terminator only managed to do away with about 24 kills. Even though both his and Robo's numbers may not be perfectly precise, there is still enough of a glaring differential to see who the victor is. It didn't help that in T2, the Terminator was ordered by a squeeky-voiced teeny-bopper to not kill anyone.
Well, holy shit, I was not expecting this. The Terminator got terminated?! Seriously, this was a massacre. Robocop was truly firing on all cylinders here. Now, I'm sure many of you will be super pissed about this result, however that is why you have a loaded machine gun down below. Please, spit them bullets of contempt or praise. We always LOVE hearing back from you because your sick opinions matter! And, if you have any future ideas for some killer Face-Offs, don't be afraid to email me at mikecatalano@joblo.com.

Tags: Face-Off

8:08PM on 04/02/2012
Robocop is actually quite a clever film once you get past the bombastic violence and general over the top-ness, but CHARACTER-wise, Terminator is better because it has absolutely nothing to hold it back like a mind or moral compass. It's a tool, designed to do what it does.

5:32PM on 04/02/2012

Bow before Verhoeven,,,,,,,,

The Terminator and Robocop are equal to me in terms of quality. Nice to see someone who gives props to Robocop though, which I think is overlooked from time to time.

4:21PM on 04/02/2012
Feels to me like the categories are slanted in Robocop's favor. So, yeah, the only one of these I disagree with is the catchphrase category. However, taking a step back, the original Terminator is an all-time great film and in my top 20, while Robocop completely lacks the punch to go beyond the "Just a good action movie" designation.

3:45PM on 04/02/2012
While I love me some Robocop and "Dead or alive, you're coming with me," Terminator (and T2) is the better movie, better character, and better one-liner (though not by much). I'm really close to calling this a tie, but I think the edge goes to Terminator.

1:19PM on 04/02/2012
Oh come on. "I'll be back." is one of the great movie quotes of all time, a recognizable catch phrase that is unforgettable. No WAY you're giving RoboCop the advantage on catch phrase.

1:52PM on 04/02/2012
I second that, this one was a no brainer.
I second that, this one was a no brainer.
11:43AM on 04/02/2012
Nice! I was not initially expecting the outcome either, but as I read on I realized how right you are. Robocop also has the coolest holster ever created! I have got to revisit Robo this weekend - it's been too long.

11:04AM on 04/02/2012
Yeah. I am pretty sure you have gotten every one of these wrong.
Yeah. I am pretty sure you have gotten every one of these wrong.

11:14AM on 04/02/2012
That's constructive...care to back that up?
That's constructive...care to back that up?
10:26AM on 04/02/2012

"These are serious charges officer"

Its really not even close. 'Terminator' is great every now and then...but Robocop is just one of the most eminently watchable movies of the 80s. Funnier than most comedies, great acting performances, a surprisingly touching story, perfect social satire.

10:18AM on 04/02/2012
Of course it's gonna be Robocop! When I was a kid, I was actually thinking what the frak when all the police squad fired at Robocop when he was at OCP tower after a battle with ED-209. My favorite line is when the Old Man asked what's Robocop name was "Robocop" after he shot Dick Jones. Then Robocop turned around and said "Murphy" then a smile and walked away. Job Well Done, Murphy!

8:04AM on 04/02/2012