Found footage Friday the 13th still alive? Adam Green once approached to direct??

Nov. 8, 2013by: Eric Walkuski

Some interesting FRIDAY THE 13th-related news has been uncovered thanks to Adam Green and Joe Lynch's The Movie Crypt podcast (shout-out to F13Community.com for catching it).

It would appear as though the found footage angle, which we've heard rumored for years (and wrote about as recently as last month), is indeed a legitimate possibility. Green himself kinda sorta confirms that he was approached to direct a FRIDAY THE 13th sequel years ago. He was obviously not as keen on the found footage angle as the producers were, but states if they were open to making it a regular "movie movie", he'd be happy to revisit the idea.

And the project is evidently alive and well. Green and Lynch's special guest Mike Mendez (director of BIG ASS SPIDER) has heard Paramount is high on a particular individual to direct ("not a filmmaker", he adds cryptically) and is targeting a budget of $8 million. Green comments that the found footage thing is still so popular at Paramount thanks to their PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films. (They also had quite a success with THE DEVIL INSIDE and have ALMANAC and AREA 51 waiting in the wings.)

So, all of this is to say that if we do get another F13 in the near future, it's likely to be delivered via nausea-inducing shaky cam. Exciting, right?

Extra Tidbit: Is there a director in particular you'd like to see tackle a FRIDAY THE 13th film? What about Adam Green?

2:27AM on 11/11/2013

is "Found Footage" just an excuse to make a really horrible movie?

seriously, the found footage genre just takes the knowledge of DECENT filmaking and says "let's make a crappy film and SAY it was filmed by a bunch of dead teenagers in the woods... on crack" yeah... that will look good on film. sure.
better yet why dont you hire some teenagers that have NO idea of what the hell they're doing and let THEM direct the movie... you'd get the exact same results.

9:33PM on 11/08/2013

Oh good god no!

Its typical of paramount to throw around an idea like this, they never had any respect for the franchise, it was it's dirty little secret, and as always they will want to make an entry for as little money as possible (can you get any cheaper than found footage?) and then reap the rewards.
I can't believe anybody would have seriously been fist punching the air during that pitch, it's a terrible idea and will ruin the format, the only way it would work is with the characters the cam constantly running away from Jason.
Everybody is down for the winter wonderland crystal lake idea, why not listen to the fans for once and make something they want to see?

8:35PM on 11/08/2013

Found footage sucks ass!

Paramount! Winterbound Friday the 13th (valentines day weekend blizzard)!!! And yes to Adam Green, have him write and direct!

5:36PM on 11/08/2013

NOOOO

I'm so sick of found footage movies. I'm tired of the jerky camera and poor video quality. Also, these movies are poor for repeat viewing. I don't own one found footage movie on dvd or bluray. Any hopes of Paramount returning the series to the glory days will go down the drain. Establish a new trilogy with a new character we care about (like a Tommy).

5:31PM on 11/08/2013
With every Friday The 13th movie, they wanted to do something new/different; a different view. This time they can do it with a winter setup of the camp or a continuation of Jason's story with a Vs Freddy Vs Ash or Vs Chucky. Don't f*up the franchise with found footage!

2:29PM on 11/08/2013

Nope.

Found footage needs to die. It is just a lame ass excuse of a gimmick that was fine when it happened once every few years, but 3-4 found footage movies a year ruined the experience.

Now they want to go and fuck up the F13th series with it too? I mean yeah, the remake was pure shit as well but they need to look at how they can reinvent the guy, and doing so with gimmicks is not the way to go. I loved the idea of a winter themed F13th movie. Or one where we follow Jason's point of view the entire film. See where he goes, how he hunts and what his life really is like.

Cassidy, Katie