Harvey Weinstein wants Scream 5 to happen

09.30.2013by: Eric Walkuski

Unsatisfied with the SCREAM legacy after the way part 4 wrapped up? Well, so is executive producer Harvey Weinstein, who offered a glimmer of hope to those of you anxious to see Ghostface rear his (or her) ugly face once again.

Currently attending the Zurich Film Festival, Weinstein made it clear that he's hoping his brother Bob - who runs the brothers' genre division Dimension Films - gets the series going once again.

"Everyone lived in Scream 4. I'm begging him [Bob] to do the movie and just end it. We've milked that cow."

Sort of a mixed blessing to be found in that statement. While admitting that they have indeed "milked that cow", Weinstein appears to be intent on seeing the surviving members of the cast finally bite the dust.

However, it may not be in the company's financial interest to give SCREAM another go: SCREAM 4 made $97 million worldwide, and while that's not a terrible number, the film cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 million to produce (not counting prints and advertising). That's not exactly a profitable product.

My hunch is that SCREAM 5 will only materialize if the impending television show is a success. What do you think?

SCREAM 4's Marielle Jaffe

Extra Tidbit: Were you satisfied with SCREAM 4?
Source: Indiewire

8:21AM on 10/01/2013
I would love Scream 5 & 6. I loved part 4 and am convinced that if it had come out sooner, in a time before internet bashing became the cool thing to do, the ending would have sat well with everyone. And probably sits better with more people than they let on. Truth is that 4 was the closest sequel to the first, keeping the atmosphere, and tone. The only thing worse about it was it wasn't the original, and you kind of knew what to expect. As is the same with most sequels.

9:38PM on 09/30/2013

I really want...

Scream 5 and 6 like it was originally intended to be but fuck. We need Craven and Williamson . That's it. Kruger can stay the fuck away.

I really did like Scream 4 though... I still think it's extremely underrated. It's too bad it wasn't a massive 'success'.

11:57PM on 09/30/2013
In fairness to Kruger he was only drafted in after Williamson walked away from the project because the Weinstein's butchered his original script, changing the ending, pretty much ruining Williamson's whole idea for the 4,5,6 trilogy. If anyone needs to stay the fuck away it's Bob Weinstein!
7:14PM on 09/30/2013

Doesn't Matter To Me

I'd love to see a Scream 5. I really loved Scream 4. Scream is is my favorite horror franchise and if they make a Scream 5 I'd be very excited, but if they don't make another one, it's all good.

2:25PM on 09/30/2013
Scream 4 was kinda a letdown. I was hoping with all the original cast returning that we would have a much better film, but I guess the script was to blame. It was too predictable, and the villian was just boring! I would welcome another one if the original cast returns, and we get a MUCH better script and villian! They need a villian who is linked to the killers in the first Scream, or linked to the survivors of the first film. They need to figure a way to link them in a cool way no one would suspect. Maybe they could link Dewey to the murders in the first film. Who knows. If you do it Weinstein's please just make it fun again!

8:23AM on 10/01/2013
Um, didn't they link the killer to the survivors in part 4?
Um, didn't they link the killer to the survivors in part 4?
2:22PM on 09/30/2013

Please God No!

Does anyone else feel that 2,3, and 4 were just awful? There is a way to pump life back into the series but they haven't contacted me yet. I'll keep sending letters and naked pictures of myself to Harvey.

2:26PM on 09/30/2013