Has the Friday the 13th TV series been axed by CW?

04.20.2016by: Brennan Klein
Friday the 13th series CW

Way back when last August, we reported that the CW was developing a TV series based on Friday the 13th, but the project immediately vanished from sight without a trace.

A potential synopsis for the show was:

Reimagined as a sophisticated, horror/crime thriller, Friday the 13th is about the ongoing quest of a detective’s search for his missing brother that is somehow tied to Jason Voorhees, a long thought dead serial killer who has now returned to wreak havoc in the new Crystal Lake. The masked Jason is being reimagined with a stronger feel of grounded reality.

However, we also heard rumors of the show potentially being a prequel (yawn). Apparently, that indecision has cost the show its life. According to Pizowell, a source close with the production has reported that after months of struggling to find a concept, the CW has decided to axe the show.

No official announcement has been made yet, but what with the studios jerking around the new movie, what chance did we possibly have for a serial TV show getting off the ground? And to be completely honest, neither of those ideas sounded particularly appealing in the first place. Audiences have been getting their slasher fix with shows like Scream Queens, Scream: The Series, and Chiller's Slasher, which proves that the format works well enough, but would Jason really be a good fit for the small screen? He's too basic and elemental for a long-running character arc.

At least we'll always have Friday the 13th: The Game, right? Right?

Extra Tidbit: Would you prefer a TV series or a film for FRIDAY THE 13TH?
Source: Pizowell

11:08AM on 04/21/2016
I didn't know there was such a show in development. This would have been a terrible idea.

7:52AM on 04/21/2016
Good. I think the best way to make Friday the 13th is take it back to the 1980s. The Final Girls shows us it could work, even though it's a comedy movie.

9:35PM on 04/20/2016

Fine

Leave this alone, focus on making a cool new movie. End of story.
Leave this alone, focus on making a cool new movie. End of story.

3:56PM on 04/20/2016
Television allows a lot of great violence these days. However, a Friday the 13th movie remains the best forum in which Jason speaks by his gruesome actions. Furthermore, you can really swear and shit in a movie. I am glad that CW no longer has their Friday the 13th series on the horizon.

1:31PM on 04/20/2016

Fuck that

Just make a sequel to the remake. A proved formula
Just make a sequel to the remake. A proved formula

2:59PM on 04/20/2016
Or they can reboot the entire franchise once more, leaving Hobo Cave Dweller named Jason out of the timeline. Zombie Jason and Jason X were less jokes than Hobo Jason from the remake. Those remakes for F13th and NoES are blips in history that nobody cared about. Everyone wants an 80s set F13th remake.
1:25PM on 04/20/2016

Thank Fuck!

I'd just be happy with a sequel to the reboot. Preferrably with a snow setting.
I'd just be happy with a sequel to the reboot. Preferrably with a snow setting.

1:21PM on 04/20/2016

We can only hope the CW has axed all of their shitty teenbeat shows.

Horror icons deserve more than starring in teen dramas on shitty kids networks.
Horror icons deserve more than starring in teen dramas on shitty kids networks.

Waterston, Katherine