HORROR TEN SPOT: Best asylums in the house! #2

5 years agoby: Matt Withers

The past weekend brought us Scorcese's SHUTTER ISLAND, and got me thinking back to some of my favorite other genre flicks that feature asylums. Be they looney bins, psychiatric hospitals, or just plain nut houses, the concept of horror and crazy people go together like kissing booths and cold sores.

So when you feel like the pressures of the week are about to send you postal, check out some of the folks who have really lost it, and feel better about the fact that even though you might snap and take out your boss or that dude that cut you off in traffic, you're far more sane than any of the denizens in these places.

As always, spit those bullets if you've got shite to say!

READ PART 1 OF THIS LIST HERE

WARNING - FULL THROTTLE CRAZY BELOW!

5. Vannacutt Psychiatric Institute for the Criminally Insane, HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL

Buy the HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL DVD here

It's never good news when you discover that a doctor and his staff used to experiment on the inmates. I mean that's just a massive accumulation of bad juju ya know? So no surprise that the shenanigans at play in this bad boy are largely of the oh no you didn't variety.

4. Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Buy the SILENCE OF THE LAMBS DVD here

Given what we know about Hannibal Lecter, it's actually amazing that any institution was able to hold him for more than a week or two, much less years. So they're effective at keeping the smartest man you're likely to encounter down, and on top of that feature a rogues gallery of weirdos, including Miggs the semen tossing suicide-to-be. So yeah, not a place I'd want to spend much time in.

3. Danvers State Mental Hospital, SESSION 9

Buy the SESSION 9 DVD here

The concept of an abandoned mental facility is used a lot, but rarely this effectively. The set up is handled great with lots of large empty rooms and daylight slipping through cracks, somehow making everything all the more creepy. To be able to use a space to create this kind of sense of isolation, even though the setting isn't physically blocked from the outside work, is impressive as hell.

2. THE ASYLUM

Can't talk about great asylums without giving due props to The Asylum Films. You know 'em. These are the clever/larcenous bastards that bring us gems like MEGAPIRAHNA, SNAKES ON A TRAIN, and so on. As production companies go this has the enviable asset of being genius crazy, and great at driving the major Hollywood studios nuts as well.

1. Smith's Grove Warren County Sanitarium, HALLOWEEN

Buy HALLOWEEN here

How can the top spot not go to the Sanitarium where evil grew up? Here is where Dr. Loomis famously started off trying to reach Michael Myers, and then simply tried to keep him locked up. As important as it is, the place is a largely off screen player in the original movie, but gets moved to the center in Rob Zombie's remake. In fact the most interesting part of the remake revolves around Myer's devolution while locked down. Plus there's the boobies and the killin'.

READ PART 1 OF THIS LIST HERE

Got a Top 10 idea? Hit me up at mattwithers@joblo.com

Source: AITH

8:35AM on 02/27/2010
Great list. You guys should get around to putting Ashecliffe Hospital (Shutter Island) on there. Ward C alone is worth a spot.

12:46AM on 02/27/2010
Session 9 deserves to be number one, and you totally forgot about Deadgirl. How could the pathetic remake of Halloween get the number one spot?

7:44PM on 02/26/2010
BEAUTIFUL !5 THROUGH 1 ARE PERFECT (DIDN'T SEE '2' COMING, NICE TOUCH )NO. 1 IS A LOCK,THE MOST NOTORIUS ASYLUM HAS GOT TO BE SMITH'S GROVE, AKA THE HOUSE THAT MIKE BUILT! GREAT JOB MR. WITHERS!!

6:53PM on 02/26/2010

cool list

8th Plague anyone?
8th Plague anyone?

4:15PM on 02/26/2010
exorcist 3 freaked me out with that bug patient on the ceiling. lol.
and that sleep walking dude with the knife!
exorcist 3 freaked me out with that bug patient on the ceiling. lol.
and that sleep walking dude with the knife!

4:58PM on 02/26/2010
GREAT call on EXORCIST 3. A freaky joint indeed. (And a truly under-appreciated film.)
3:27PM on 02/26/2010
Excellent call on Session 9. Love that movie.
Excellent call on Session 9. Love that movie.

11:04AM on 02/26/2010

Great list!

Another favourite of mine is the Eastern State Penitentiary from "12 Monkeys".
Another favourite of mine is the Eastern State Penitentiary from "12 Monkeys".

10:25AM on 02/26/2010

SHUTTER ISLAND?!

This is a great list... but i'm really surprised that Ashecliffe Asylum from Shutter Island isn't on here!

11:55AM on 02/26/2010
Considering this list was inspired by the movie Shutter Island, as Matt mentions in the opening, I don't think it needs to be included. Inspiring the list must count for something.

Clarke, Emilia