Is the new Friday the 13th film being shot in 3D?

Jun. 19, 2014by: Eric Walkuski

Yesterday's big Paramount Pictures news included PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 (supposedly) being pushed back to 2016, as well as the confirmation that HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS 2 is definitely happening. Lost in the shuffle was this little nugget:

That marked the end of the clips and showreels before the screening of Transformers, with Ryan first listing a host of upcoming big-budget projects planned for the remainder of 2015, including Terminator: Genesis, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as the robot assassin; Friday the 13th in 3D; and Mission Impossible 5, directed by Chris McQuarrie and starring Tom Cruise.

See it, right there?! FRIDAY THE 13th in 3D. Maybe it'll be a remake of FRIDAY THE 13th Part 3! (Will "Shelly" be rebooted?)

Obviously, this project has given us practically zero to hang our hats on; we don't even know if the rumored director - David Bruckner - is actually the man at the helm. All we do know is that it's not coming out until November 13, 2015, and Platinum Dunes is producing.

Previous rumors have suggested the film will be shot found footage-style. With 3D now in the mix, we must start wondering if our brains will be able to cope with both found footage and 3D. I wouldn't put anything past Michael Bay and the boys, but I suppose we should take a deep breath and see what materializes.

Extra Tidbit: How would you feel about a 3D F13 movie?
Source: THR

9:48AM on 06/20/2014

I just want Kane Hodder back...

Make it in 3D (obviously shot in 2D with post conversion) I don't care. I will still see it in 2D on Netflix. I just want Jason to have his classic personality back. I don't want this underground caveman Jason we got last time. Last F13th was just horrible. Worse than any of the old Jason movies.

11:54PM on 06/19/2014
I'd be cool with a 3D. Mostly I just want the movie to have a little thought behind it, you know? I could care less for the visual gimmicks.

3:15PM on 06/19/2014

Found Footage was already dumped!!!

The found footage idea has been skewered and tossed in the trash. It was reported at Bloody Disgusting and Friday the 13th franchise.

2:35PM on 06/19/2014

Please no found footage or 3D

If necessary, pick one or the other but it makes zero sense to be both found footage and 3D. The series has never been about creative story telling, it's about creative kills (sadly,the remake had neither). Make it at Crystal Lake in the winter as a ski camp and you have at least a setting that is at once familiar but different enough to breathe life into the tired scenario.

1:28PM on 06/19/2014
yes yes shelly was a huge nerd who couldn't even get laid at camp crystal lake BUT, remember: no shelly, no mask.

12:00PM on 06/19/2014
I'm not a big 3D fan anyway. I'd rather watch Friday the 13th in normal 2D IMAX.

Hudson, Kate