IT'S THE BOOZE TALKIN: Dear Mr. Romero...

Mar. 30, 2010by: Jim Law

Dear Mr. Romero...

In recent years I've sat and watched as many of the names that shaped my theatrical childhood were brought back to life. Mostly all of them had changed for the worse. Michael Myers was the hulking son of a whore. Jason Voorhees, a subterranean architectural savant. Predators being beat up by Aliens. Aliens being beat up by small town folk. This isn't the genre I once knew. However, these are all fictional characters being led in a dozen different directions by a hundred different people. You, sir, are one man, and as real as they come, so after watching your latest zombie romp titled SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD - I was hoping we could have a word or two.

The next sentence is one I thought I would never read, let alone write. George Romero should stop making zombie movies. And while I might be drunk, do not take these words as the rant of an obnoxious internet a-hole that thinks his voice matters more than it ever will. I speak out of respect to the man who perfected the zombie genre back when I was still a snotty little brat. You may not have created the concept of the dead rising but it was your vision mixed with a simple set of rules (aim for the head) that defined the undead for generations of fans and would-be film makers. This will forever be YOUR sub-genre...... as long as you know when to walk away.

After watching SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, I strongly believe that time is now. The Romero zombie film has become no better than the dozens of direct-to-DVD walking dead titles we see every year. There's a moment early in SURVIVAL that is pulled directly from one of the most gut-wrenching moments in DAWN OF THE DEAD and I immediately thought - Great, another hack director trying to be cute by ripping off Romero. That quickly turned into - Wait a second, this IS Romero! And that's what it feels like, you're ripping yourself off of your own legacy to for a chance to stay in the game.

Other than your name on the poster, there is no evidence this film should be listed along with your past achievements. The acting is abysmal. The special effects are embarrassing. And the character development is shoved down our throats so quickly there isn't a chance in hell to relate to any of these people other than their clichè. For what it's worth I thought the tough tomboy and the teenage geek should have had more lines.

Maybe it's the booze talking, sir, but after your long winding road back to the top to reclaim your crown as the master of the zombie genre, I can't help but notice that it doesn't quite fit the way it used to.

That photo above is of you and I in happier times. It was one of the more memorable moments of my life and something I'll share with my children while making them sit through one of my annual NIGHT, DAWN, DAY marathons one eerie Halloween night. When the final frame fades out and they peak from behind their covers to ask if there are any more movies, I'll look them straight in the eyes and say "Not like that there isn't, and there never will be."

Source: AITH

3:01PM on 03/31/2010
I actually found Diary to be the best of his recent work. *hated LAND* That being said, it still wasn't great by any stretch.

2:53AM on 03/31/2010
Unfortunately, the reality is that no one will give George money to make anything else. I really dig some of his non-zombie flicks, like Creepshow, Dark Half, The Crazies... If only he could get out of this rut, we might find he has even more to say.

2:28AM on 03/31/2010
Romero is one of those guys I say let him do what ever the hell he wants, hes earned it

6:29PM on 03/30/2010

2 cents

Haven't seen Survival yet, but for what it's worth I despised Diary, and loved Land.

5:54PM on 03/30/2010

You may be right...

Haven't seen Survival of the Dead yet. Diary was not bad and Land of the Dead was enjoyable (but not scary). It just seems like Zach Snyders Dawn remake and the 28 days/28 weeks later films have changed the game and made his latest efforts irrelevant.

5:35PM on 03/30/2010
Maybe the poor bastard things that is all he is good for?
Maybe the poor bastard things that is all he is good for?

4:08PM on 03/30/2010
Wrong. Romero is still king and his zombie movies are really good.
Wrong. Romero is still king and his zombie movies are really good.

2:50PM on 03/30/2010
Diary of the Dead was average, and Survival of the Dead may suck, but Land of the Dead was a very good movie. Land of the Dead is my favorite Zombie movie of all time...followed closely by Dawn of the Dead (original).

1:35PM on 03/30/2010
I'll take another Dark Half or Monkey Shines over another Romero Zombie film any day - can somebody help the dude ($$$) direct something else than the undead already!

-10
1:29PM on 03/30/2010
I hate slow zombies. Thank you.
I hate slow zombies. Thank you.

12:49PM on 03/30/2010

ease off

LOTD was creative but for the most part no where near a "cinematic masterpiece" that was his original. DOTD was crap. pure and simple crap. Romero just needs to take a rest. and come back with a simple HUMAN driven film that is set during the zombie apocalypse. its what made the original such a masterpiece and it can be done again. focus on the CHARACTERS!!!! and give me some decent acting, original kills and vomit-inducing gore.

10:14AM on 03/30/2010

agreed

Yeah your right, Snoopish LOTD was good, Compared. It actualy kept with the franchise. Where Diary just restarted the whole thing and veared way off

9:28AM on 03/30/2010
irony @ romero becoming the zombie of his social commentary.
irony @ romero becoming the zombie of his social commentary.

9:09AM on 03/30/2010
Agreed BUT...Land of the Dead was better than you are giving it credit IMHO.
Agreed BUT...Land of the Dead was better than you are giving it credit IMHO.

8:48AM on 03/30/2010

Agreed

SotD was such a train wreck. I actually felt bad for GAR after watching that. Must suck to go batshit senile at such a young age. :(

What, he's not senile? Wow... just, wow. He used to hide the subtext of society well in his flicks, but this one, just beat you over the head with it. His next ...of the Dead flick, I'm convinced will be a flick with no zombies at all, and is just a group of people sitting around talking about how the human race sucks.

8:37AM on 03/30/2010

Amen

Amen brother, Sad but true. All though your review is what I expected,...I wll still watch it. Know ing what I'm in for. Just like I did with Diary of the Dead,....I,...I need a moment

Cassidy, Katie