It's the Booze Talkin': Eff These Unrelated Sequels!

Jan. 15, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

I enjoy a good sequel just as much as the next guy, especially if there is more story to tell or cool characters to tag along another round of events with. For horror fans, our criteria of what is required for a sequel is actually pretty low: a single character (Freddy, Jason, Chucky, Michael, Pinhead, etc…) can be the only reason to have sequel after sequel after sequel (after sequel), or even something like a location can be a good reason to revisit the film’s universe once again (HOSTEL PART 2, VACANCY 2, the AMITYVILLE HORROR movies). And yet, even as we’re open to these excessively loose criteria for sequel justifications, we’re getting assf*cked this year by not just one, but two seemingly unrelated sequels that simply scream “cash grab” and “sequel by name only”, which has to be the biggest slap to the face there ever was.

First, there’s A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT 2: GHOSTS OF GEORGIA, which is a bitch slap to the face just by title alone, as how could there be another haunting in Connecticut when the whole movie takes place…. In Georgia? And they’re not even ashamed to admit it, they put it in the f*cking title because the title is a “name brand” of which they (studios, producers, marketers) think that just because it shares the same name, fans of the first movie (which sucked donkey nuts, BTW) will be more open to see this trash. Which, again, is just another way they’re saying “f*ck you!” to the audience.

But let’s look beyond just the atrocity that is the title (worst title of the year, by far) and let’s take a look at the film itself. From what we’ve seen in the trailer, there’s a new family being haunted, there’s a new state that’s being haunted, and just about everything about this movie screams “stand alone movie” and not a f*cking sequel to anything at all. It’s a ghost story about some haunted shit—let it be that! Don’t try and force this sequel down our throats and pretend that it’s something that has anything to do with another movie. Even if, by chance, there’s a character (on a road trip from Connecticut) passing through Georgia at the same time from the first movie… does this warrant to be a sequel of any kind. What a f*cking cheap trick to bamboozle the audience. Not only that, but who gives a f*ck if there is a sequel to A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT anyway? Were there that many people who liked that garbage???

Then there’s THE LAST EXORCISM PART 2, a movie that on its own shits on the original by clearly telling the world that that shit wasn’t the last exorcism, but the first of a couple of movies. But whatever, I’ll let that slide. It’s about the same chick who was possessed from the first movie so at least it has a common character to hold the two movies together… so I’ll give it that. But here’s my problem with the whole thing and why it’s more or less unrelated. First, who even remembers nor gives two f*cks about that chick from the first movie? Seriously, she wasn’t the main character (the preacher was) and she wasn’t the reason why the movie was good… she’s really nothing more than just a random character that they’re trying to build a sequel around because it doesn’t make much sense to try and build it around anyone else you might have cared about from the first movie. Lame!

The real “F*ck You” culprit of LAST EXORCISM PART 2 has to lie with the style of film it chose to tell its story this time around. The first one was a found footage / documentary style movie based in our reality with a preacher talking to the camera (i.e., the audience), and having us follow him around on this really f*cked up journey to exorcise a demon. And now the sequel… is taking on a “regular” film format? What the hell? Wasn’t the whole thing with the first movie the fact that it was a found footage movie? And now, they’re dropping that completely and going with a standard film. I don’t know why this bothers me so much, but goddamnit, it does. It pisses me the f*ck off.

When has switching formats worked? Ok. I’m a liar. It has worked a couple of times… QUARANTINE 2: TERMINAL was pretty good (but it was cheap and straight to DVD) and REC: GENESIS had its moments (but it did its switch 20 minutes into the film itself, which was at least interesting). When has it not worked? THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: BOOK OF SHADOWS was somewhat of a disaster (even though it’s not as bad as people make it out to be), but honestly, looking how other movies handles this shit means nothing to be in the case of THE LAST EXORCISM. Because of the fundamental reason to have a sequel in the first place: there’s more story to tell. And at the end of the first film, there was no more story to tell! It wrapped things up pretty well… and no one has been asking for a sequel since, making this yet another pointless force-fed sequel to shove down the throats of genre fans everywhere.

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but f*ck these two unrelated sequels… right in their goddamn ears! They’re money-grubbing cash-cows that I hope fail miserably at the box office, that fail miserably on home video, and that both become examples of what not to do when making a movie that could be sold and viewed as original: don’t make it a sequel to something that has no real ties to the first movie! If a movie is found footage… then the sequel should be found footage as well (and don’t get me started on the fact that there’s a sequel to a movie called THE LAST EXORCISM). And if a movie tells the audience that there’s a haunting in Connecticut… don’t have the movie tell a story about a haunting in Georgia! What if the title was A HAUNTING IN SPACE and the whole movie was about a haunting at a farm house in the middle of Kansas (even if it had a silly subtitle like GHOSTS OF KANSAS. That shit wouldn’t make sense!). Anyway, don’t go see A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT: GHOSTS OF GEORGIA On Demand February 1st and in theaters March 14th or THE LAST EXORCISM PART 2 on March 1st.

Extra Tidbit: The Arrow loved BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: BOOK OF SHADOWS. Is he alone?

8:16PM on 03/22/2013
I'm not gonna say that I loved it, but I liked Book of Shadows. They managed to give a new angle to the sequel, still having elements in common with the original film.

2:47PM on 01/16/2013
The Arrow most certainly is not alone! Blair Witch 2 is somewhat of a favorite of mine!

8:10PM on 01/15/2013
Extra Tidbit: Yes, he is alone.
Extra Tidbit: Yes, he is alone.

1:56PM on 01/15/2013
I'm mostly with you. I don't mind new angles to attack a story from, sometimes that's what can set a series up as something different - I mean how often do we complain sequels just rehash. However I get that's not really the point you're making here and that's where you generally have my agreement. The Haunting in georgia sequel is one of the more ridiculous titles I've heard, I wouldn't mind it if it was called hautning in Georgia, and the next A haunting in whereever (it could be the movie equivelent of AHS - just nowhere near as awesome) though maybe my expectations were so low with Last Exorcism that I found myself enjoying it. The sequel is related so doesn't fit your criteria and while I won't be rushing to see it I will check it out at some point down the line as I think it looks OK. While I agree the title should have made it a stand alone also, I don't mind the passing of the baton to another character - surely this has been done before?
For me you could also add the next Fright Night in the mix. That is really taking the biscuit but to the other extreme - it's TOO related!

1:01PM on 01/16/2013
I guess my biggest complaint about LAST EXORCISM is that it's a stretch to ask us to give a fuck about this chick anymore. The story was over! Call this ANOTHER EXORCISM and I'm ok with it.

Same with GHOSTS OF GEORGIA... just call it something else, stop trying to sell it as a sequel when it's not.

2:54PM on 01/16/2013
@ammon I won't argue it was a story that needed another installment or for us to care about the chick - I do agree completely, I'm just not that bothered it exists either...

Haha Another Exorcism sounds like what The Wayans Bros will call their version. Ghosts of Georgia not a bad name even if it does sound a little TV movie-ish, though if the shoe fits.....

1:31PM on 01/15/2013

Why didn't they just call it Haunting in Georgia?

It's enough to make it relateable to the Haunting in Connecticut, yet different enough to make it not sound dumb as fuck.

1:02PM on 01/16/2013
I'm with you! A HAUTNING IN GEORGIA. A HAUNTING IN WEST VIRGINIA. A HAUTNING IN OREGON. They could have set themselves up for at least 50 of these things. Instead... they blasphemed themselves by giving A HAUTNING IN CONNECTICUT a subtitle.
11:34AM on 01/15/2013
I thought the Hellraiser movies after part 4 were pretty much unrelated too. They are all standalone supernatural thrillers with 5 minutes of Pinhead added to cash in on the franchise name.

12:24PM on 01/15/2013
The Hellraise franchise is a great example! It's like they have a script that they want to make and they randomly throw in Pinhead at the end so they can slap the HELLRAISER title on it and make a little more money. Bullshit!
10:55AM on 01/15/2013
I think Hollywood needs to go backwards and look at some of the older scary movies for inspiration instead of just these rehashes on the same movie franchise. Enough with the exorcist wannabes. They will never be as good as the original. Same goes for the copies of poltergeist with the supposed "reality tv found footage" gimmick. I would rather see a new take on the blob instead of these crappy ghost movies. Now that might actually be interesting considering no one has used that material seriously since that movie in the 80s.

10:34AM on 01/15/2013
I think Blair Witch Project: Book of Shadows was misunderstood. People went to see it expecting it to be like the first Blair Witch movie. Book of Shadows is actually pretty good.

9:25AM on 01/15/2013

I hated the first Blair Witch movie.

That said, I think the second one is pretty damn good. There's actual acting, filmmaking, scripting, all that good stuff. It wasn't perfect but I had a blast every time I saw it, which is FAR more than I can say for the first flick.

9:07AM on 01/15/2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked Blair Witch 2. Was it the best movie ever? Not by a long shot but I thought it had some pretty effective scenes and a unique premise for a sequel. Of course the studio messed with the final cut of the film completely. Would love to see the Director's Cut. Maybe it was a masterpiece that we just never got to see.

Terell, Taryn