IT'S THE BOOZE TALKIN': Paranormal Activity 3 looks kinda good!

08.02.2011by: Ammon Gilbert

When PARANORMAL ACTIVITY came out a few years back, I had an OK time with it. Only worth watching once, the scares were genuine and it somehow breathed new life into the “mocumentary horror” genre that hadn’t seen any real action since 1999’s THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. For all the hate the movie received post release, let’s not forget that for those who checked it out in theaters who really wanted to be scared, it worked… for the most part. Not worth a revisit, of course, but still a solid good time. A year later PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 came out, thus dethroning SAW as the go-to franchise of the Halloween holiday, making a shitload of money at the box office, and delivering one of the most boring turds of the year. While the way the film was part prequel, part sequel, and how it tied the original characters into the new story was interesting, the scariest thing about the flick was the pool cleaner, and the best actor was the K-9. I was more than done with this franchise and thought it was bullshit when a part 3 was announced for this Halloween. But with the release of the first teaser trailer, I gotta admit… PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 looks pretty f*ckin’ cool!

I know, the words I just spoke are blasphemous and somewhat hypocritical based on all the previous hate I’ve given PA2 and mocumentary horror films as a whole, but the teaser trailer managed to suck me in and intrigue me and even gave me the heebee jeebees, and for a trailer to a movie that I have already written off to do that… well, it deserves some mad props! If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, scroll on down below and check it out first—I’ll wait here. Ok, you’ve seen it—looks cool, right? There’s the whole Bloody Mary thing going on (!), there’s glimpses into the sisters backgrounds, and it looks like we’ll finally be able to find out what the f*ck happened all those years ago. Not that I really give a f*ck, but the fact that they decided to go there for PA3 is cool. Better than I had hoped, and a helluva lot better than if it were a straight-up sequel, one that either follows the lame teenage girl around in the aftermath of PA2 or (worse yet) a haunting of another family entirely.

Going the prequel route and kickin’ it in the ‘80s when the crazy shit started to happen in the first place, an origin story, if you will, is (again), a f*ckin clever way to go for part 3. So props to that. Then there’s the replacement of the PA2 directors, of which couldn’t direct themselves out of traffic. Ok, that was harsh, but f*ck it, PA2 was a movie about boredom, waiting for something to actually happen, and the movement of a goddamn pool cleaner for f*ck’s sake—not a horror movie. But now with PA3, directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, hot off their success of CATFISH, are at the helm and you know what, this has me excited too! While I haven’t even seen CATFISH, I’ve heard a ton of positive things about it, and because it’s the same similar style of “mocumentary horror/thriller”, I think they’ll be more than able to pull PA3 off, and give us the sequel that PA2 should have been.

Not only that, but I haven’t even talked about the coolest thing PA3 has going for it: the little kids! There’s something about creepy little kids that creeps me the f*ck out, and if these two little girls get possessed or chased down by a demon or what have you, then I’m so there. PA2 had the little boy and that could have been creepy, but besides being dragged out of his crib at night, that kid didn’t do shit. But these two? They play f*ckin’ Bloody Mary in the bathroom for f*ck’s sake, you know that shit is gonna freaky-deaky!

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but I’m thinking PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 is looking pretty damn good. There’s a cool prequel/origin story thing going for it (a creative way to crank out a sequel so soon), the directors of CATFISH are in the house and lookin’ to spook audiences again with their documentary-style horror angle, and there are two little girls who have the potential to creep us the f*ck out. Add that shit together, throw in Bloody Mary herself, and the fact that there’s nothing else coming out this Halloween, and it appears to me that PA3 is gonna rock the Kasbah. Sure, PA2 sucked balls, but I gotta believe these directors will be able to recreate the same scare factor that Oren Pelli created with PARANORMAL ACTIVITY and who knows, maybe this will be the one film where the part 3 is actually the sequel in the series. Either that, or I’ll look like the biggest asshole in 2 months when this shit hits theaters and ends up being the end-all be-all turd burglar of movies. Either way, I like my odds, so I guess we’ll all just have to wait and see.

Related Tags: joblo, arrow, trailer, 2011

11:56PM on 08/05/2011
I don't know what you're smoking, but this looks fucking terrible! The prequel route has been done to death, and the trailer did nothing but make me yawn, I truly hope the PA3 is the LAST entry in this limp franchise.

8:31PM on 08/02/2011

Ummmm

If this is so much better than "Saw", then where is the budget. It looks like the first 2 films. These people are giving cheap scares to a (first timer)target audience and not for "The True Horror Fans". I might just pull out my camcorder and try to make a (Blair Witch rip off)million.

10:05PM on 08/02/2011
So, since when do you need a budget to make a good horror? Ever hear of a little horror flick called Evil Dead, Mr. True Horror Fan? And how does one make a horror for the first timers, you mean like the Saw sequels? Cause those flicks were made for a mainstream audience just like any other studio backed horror. Oren Peli made the first PA on his own, with his two actors and his own money. It wasn\'t targeted at anybody, he made the film he wanted to make. In fact, my misguided friend, PA was initially shown at festivals and campus towns where there was specifically believed to be a core horror audience to get the attention of horror fans like us. And then we first heard about it on sites just like this,sites for True Horror Fans. And the true horror fans are the ones who requested it\'s release online when Paramount picked it up after getting the reaction of the true horror fans who saw it. The mainstreamers jumped on the band wagon after WE spread the word and the film opened wide. True horror fans made it a success. Do your homework before you rant... especially if you think you are qualified to speak for us TRUE HORROR FANS. So you don\'t embarrass us or yourself... oh, and since when is making a million dollars on a camcorder horror movie A BAD THING??? Guerilla filmmaking is how a lot of our beloved horrors got made and our beloved filmmakers got their start. If you are the True Horror Fan you claim to be, you should know this. The only person here that sounds like a first timer is you my friend.
6:59PM on 08/02/2011
Part 2 was terrible, Catfish was terrible, Part 3 looks terrible....not waiting with baited breath

3:11PM on 08/02/2011

This series blows

There is nothing remotely scary or intriguing about this series at all. They're boring, predictable, and just irritating to watch. There's zero suspense. Just jump scare after jump scare with nothing but filler in between. Most horror films are shlock nowadays, but at least they entertain at the very least.

2:46PM on 08/02/2011

Why hate? Don't like, don't watch

Different things scare different people. Which is why this series works for some and not others. just like every other horror flick. To call these "horror films for people who don't watch horror films" is pretensious BS for those who need to hate something if they don't like it and can't accept that others do. I have been watching all kinds of horror for literally over 40 years and I am a big fan of the first one and kinda liked the second. I also understand completely why many don't like them. But why hate them? If you don't like them, don't watch them. I don't hate the Saw series just simply walked away after part 4. ANY horror flick that is successful helps guarantee MORE HORROR. So chill folks. The producers of these films are out there making lots more horror (Insidious, Lords Of Salem) So why hate the means to an end. Just don't waste your time seeing them, if that's how you feel. Successful horror opens doors for more horror. Yea us! That being said, and back to the article, even as a fan, the jury is still out on PA3 for me. The trailer didn't appeal to me at all. I saw nothing scary about it and don't think we need a prequel showing events already discussed in PA2. Wasn't impressed with Catfish either. So, maybe this will be the entry that makes me say "I'm done." But, to each his own and I respect everyone's opinion, so respect other's too. We are all horror fans despite out different tastes.

2:18PM on 08/02/2011
I liked the original Paranormal Activity, the second one sucked and ended too much like a regular horror movie.

I wonder how this prequel will work, two little girls playing with a huge camcorder worth hundreds of dollars back in the day, taping paranormal stuff and nobody thought it was odd when watching the tapes? And she never ever mentioned it to Micah "hey when I was a kid I was taping stuff too, what are the odds?"

2:48PM on 08/02/2011
Agreed. Even as a fan, I am questioning the choice of story here.
Agreed. Even as a fan, I am questioning the choice of story here.
9:19AM on 08/02/2011
I can't stand this series there is nothing scary about watching people sleep.
I can't stand this series there is nothing scary about watching people sleep.

8:17AM on 08/02/2011
This franchise has yet to win me over, will PA3 do the trick? We'll see... can't be worse than the abysmal Part 2...fuck I hated that movie...

8:09AM on 08/02/2011
Ammon, you are right, hopefully. Hopefully, PA3 knocks 'em dead in their seats this Halloween. And, you argue your case very well.
However, maybe it's the previous boos talking, I am skeptical about PA3's quality. The new directors have a very similar style to the previous. The PA franchise has not impressed so far. It is a bland treat when it should be five alarm. Previously, people have written that PA is a horror film for people who do not typically watch horror films. So, the target audience scares easily and does not expect much. The Bloody Mary device fits into this bland approach. The Bloody Mary trick is something to scare kids at kiddie sleepovers, and it's pretty lame. On MFC, I joked that bloody marys were what the film-makers must have consumed during the meeting. And, about those kids. Sometimes, kids work in horror films famously. The Exorcist is a prime example. Friedken took Regan into violent, sacrilege, and sexualized territory that made the audience very uncomfortable. American Haunting is another film that had the guts to go there. Often, creepy kids have bad shit occur to those around them. Orphan, The Omen, Pet Semetary, and Better Off Dead (jk) are prime examples. BUT, will PA3 go for either effective scare method? Paranormal Entity was a knock-off of PA. But, do you know what it did real-right? It showed tits and a very violent haunting entity. Do you think that anyone wants to see that in PA3? Do you think the film-makers took horrifying risks? Is PA3 extreme horror? And, does anyone think that PA3 focuses upon the haunted chidren making adults' lives hell? That is the other method that I mentioned. Well, the trailer does not even show the adults. At least not memorably.
I don't know. The trailer does not sell me. October's Margin Call looks more engaging and scary for being about the 2008 financial crisis. But, maybe, PA3 will be scary too.

8:05AM on 08/02/2011
I really think Paranormal Activity is the modern Blair Witch Project. Remember when Blair Witch came out back in 1999 (I think)? It was fresh and stood out among other horror movies. Same goes with Paranormal Activity though I'm not much into Paranormal Activity 2.

Scerbo, Cassie