It's the Booze Talkin': Park Chan-wook = overrated?

Feb. 26, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

Now that were finally veering towards the end of February and this week marking the first movies to be released in March, Im hoping were finally out of the slow-movie slump and are ramping up towards bigger and better things in the name of horror. With THE LAST EXORCISM PART II and STOKER coming out this week, things are looking up. Or at least it'll be a month that will have something good to offer (since LAST EXORCISM PART II kind of looks lame). STOKER is the movie that people are really blowing a load over, both critics and fans alike, and Ill admit the trailers leave a lot to be desired (mostly because Im still not entirely sure is going on). STOKER looks like it has potential to be freaky and that has nothing to do with director Park Chan-wook.

Half the love that seems to be pouring out over STOKER so far (both by those who have seen it and those who havent) is that its from Chan-wook, the same guy who directed THIRST and THE VENGEANCE TRILOGY (which includes OLDBOY, SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE, and LADY VENGEANCE). People seem to love this guy like hes the next messiah in filmmaking, like hes on the same caliber as horror greats like John Carpenter, Wes Craven, and Sam Raimi. Literally no one speaks bad about this dude and it drives me f*cking crazy because Im the motherf*cker thats not ashamed to admit that his movies are overrated! There, I said it!

Holy crap, that felt good to get off my chest. I havent seen all of the mans movies, but I have seen all of the films in the VENGEANCE trilogy and those movies were just OK. They werent great, there wasnt anything exceptionally awesome about them--they were simply OK little revenge thrillers and thats about it. OLDBOY everyone, even Spike Lee and Steven Spielberg, is a fife for OLDBOY and I simply cant see it. The story is good, the acting is descent enough, and the movie is just OK (at best), but its not the masterpiece everyone on the planet makes it out to be. In my horrible opinion, its no more than other revenge thrillers along the lines of the RANSOM. Yup, that Ron Howard directed Mel Gibson movie did more for me than OLDBOY ever could. And yet, no ones sucking the cock off every new Howard movie these days, are they?

The same could be said for SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE and LADY VENGEANCE just ok revenge thrillers, and below the majority of epic revenge thrillers that Hollywood likes to puke out every quarter. Give me the remake of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT or I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE before making me sit through Chan-wooks VENGEANCE trilogy again. These movies are just kind of boring to sit through they feel really long and theres not enough action or actual revenge to pull me through it. Maybe its a language barrier thing, maybe Im an asshole who doesnt like reading his movies (and who cant stand dubbing), but then I think back to all of the foreign subtitled movies I really like and realize this cant be the case I just dont like what Chan-wook has to offer.

Maybe its the booze talking, but acclaimed directed Park Chan-wook does absolutely nothing for me. I know Im in the minority (hell, I could be the only one who feels this way), but OLDBOY and the rest of the VENGEANCE trilogy are overrated, boring, and not worth the hype they receive in the least. I didnt even see THIRST because it was a love story about vampires (i.e., TWILIGHT) and it was from the guy who directed OLDBOY (overrated thriller). So I didnt deem it worthy of my time and passed and I have no desire to ever return and check it out. Why? Because you guessed it. Park Chan-wook isn't all he's cracked up to be. With STOKER coming out this week, I likely wont go see it in theaters, but I probably will catch it on video as it looks crazy and who knows, it could be pretty good but my hopes arent all that high that Ill like it. And honestly, the likelihood that Ill think this one is overrated is pretty goddamn high too.

Extra Tidbit: I know I'm the odd one out on this one... should I bother revisiting one of these movies in hopes of changing my mind? And if so, which one?

Related Articles

4:28PM on 02/27/2013
So you've seen his three most popular movies and decided not to even give the others a look? Eh... seems weird to me. Give Thirst a chance, as well as J.S.A. for that matter. You may like them, or you may not--but at least you'll know!

Personally, I'm a huge Park Chan-wook fan... hell, Oldboy is my favorite movie. But to each his own!

2:14AM on 02/27/2013
I agree. Overrated.
I agree. Overrated.

11:10AM on 02/27/2013
Thank you! I knew I couldn't be the ONLY a-hole out there who doesn't get what the fascination with Chan-wook is.
8:45PM on 02/26/2013

"I've seen all the Twilight movies..."

If this article didn't destroy any credibility that you may have had, this sentence in the comments below sure did.

1:40AM on 02/27/2013
Except for the fact that seeing all of the Twilight movies gives me every right to call them shit. If I hadn't seen them and had called them shit, I'd be a hack, I'd be like every other TWILIGHT hater on the internet that hates on the franchise for the sake of hating on the franchise. But see, I've seen them... which gives me all the right in the world to call them shit.

I never once say that THIRST is a bad movie. How can I? I haven't seen it. Based on PREMISE, TRAILER, and Chan-wook's previous movies, it doesn't look like a movie I'm going to enjoy, so I'm not going to see it. Re-read what I said... I said it's probably not for me. Just like, apparently, the TWILIGHT movies aren't for you. Which is hilarious, since it doesn't sound like you've seen any of those.

Thanks for commenting!
2:41PM on 02/27/2013
So you're saying I have to see all of these recent spoof movies, as well as all of Tyler Perry's movies to call them bad movies? I don't agree with your logic, sir. That's a lot of wasted time in life watching shitty movies.

I'm not hating on you for disliking Park Chan-wook, or having no interest in seeing Thirst. The problem was the assumption you made that Thirst and Twilight are similar. One is obviously geared to 13 year old girls, the other to adults, so as you could assume (which you didn't), they're two very different movies. But hey, if you don't like Chan-wook's movies, then you probably wouldn't like it anyways. But just saying, it was a very ill-informed comparison you made.
7:59PM on 02/26/2013
I think Wook is an OK director, some of his films I like and some I don't, I do have a lot of hope for the remake of Oldboy though, I can think it can do a lot of things Wook's film did wrong. For me Shyamalan is the pinnacle of overrated, that guy was a total hack from the very beginning, as overpraised as Oldboy is, it's not half as much so as freaking Sixth Sense.

1:43AM on 02/27/2013
What you say is wise, but... M. Night gave us the cinematic gold known as THE HAPPENING! And because of that, he will always be amazing in my book.
3:23PM on 02/26/2013

Eh...

If you actually haven't SEEN Thirst, you're in no position to comment on it "being the new Twilight" at all, and that wrecks any credibility you have on that subject. Warm Bodies must also be "the new Twilight" based on the surface similarities, right? I'm all for opinions on movies but you actually have to SEE them to comment on them.

5:06PM on 02/26/2013
I can have opinions on movies I haven't seen.... we all do. It's why we go see some movies and not others because we know we'll like some movies and not others. I've seen all the Twilight movies... haven't seen THIRST. I'm up front about that. Now if I was saying THIRST is shit without having seen it, then I'd be a mega-ass. I can comment all I want on my thoughts of a movie I haven't seen--every body does. Maybe I should have pre-requ'd that statement with "I think this movie (THIRST) looks like a Twilight movie and will therefore never see it."
1:57PM on 02/26/2013
I can't comment fully knowledgably on his filmography; Only seen Oldboy and Three Extremes, but I really dug Three Extremes, and Oldboy was great the first time, downhill after that. I did buy Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance after I saw Oldboy, but Oldboy wasn't as good as I thought it was, and I eventually gave it away realizing I was never going to watch it.
I have owned Thirst for almost a year now and not checked it out, but I think I might enjoy it and Stoker.

1:05PM on 02/26/2013

Hell no

Did you just compare THIRST to TWILIGHT because it's "a love story about vampires"? I'm going to slaughter you for this; they couldn't be any less similar. And saying VENGEANCE movies are "below" the majority of most Hollywood revenge thrillers?! Good lord. You were drunker than usual when writing this one.

1:49PM on 02/26/2013
THIRST is the new TWILIGHT, don't try and tell me it's anything more than that. Of course, I haven't seen it... and I never will.
3:21PM on 02/26/2013
@Ammon If you actually haven't SEEN Thirst, you're in no position to comment on it "being the new Twilight" at all, and that wrecks any credibility you have. Warm Bodies must also be "the new Twilight" based on the surface similarities, right?
5:07PM on 02/26/2013
Yes. WARM BODIES is the new TWILIGHT based on the premise of all movies dealing with the undead being in love with a human is (more or less) a TWILIGHT movie.
10:58AM on 02/26/2013

To each his own.

So you haven't seen all of his movies and than you say you hate reading foreign movies? I'll give it to you for your honesty but i could give two shits less about your "opinion". Get rid of the 'E' in RANSOME.

1:48PM on 02/26/2013
Jim, thanks for the spelling tip! My intern usually does a once over but he was too busy being drunk to notice I spelled RANSOM wrong.

I think I said I THOUGHT reading movies was the reason, but then realized that that couldn't be the reason because there are plenty of movies I've had to read that I love. But what the hell do I know, I was kinda drunk at the time.

Cheers!