It's the Booze Talkin': Please treat the next Friday the 13th right!

Jun. 17, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

These are exciting times for FRIDAY THE 13TH fans, as big news about the franchise has been dropping left and right like bodies in the final reel at Camp Crystal Lake. First up, Paramount gained back control of the franchise from Warner Bros., of which they need to make another FRIDAY THE 13TH movie in the next 5 years or they’ll lose the rights again. If that wasn’t enough, then Paramount announced that they’d be releasing the definitive FRIDAY TH 13TH collection on Blu-ray, featuring all of the movies in the franchise, including JASON GOES TO HELL, JASON X, FREDDY VS. JASON, and the 2009 remake. Whoa. I have the Paramount collection DVD box set (1-8), but this has all 12 movies (on Blu!). Nice move, Paramount. And now there’s chatter on the interwebs that FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 is going to happen sooner than later, in conjunction with Platinum Dunes!

Least to say it’s easy to get caught up in all the deliciousness of the prospects of a new FRIDAY THE 13TH movie, but I’m here to keep shit in check. First of all, while it sounds like a good idea that Paramount has the rights to franchise again, let’s not forget how badly they treated the series after a while, cashing in on all the success, but not treating it with the respect the franchise so rightfully deserves. They took the gore out, they refused to release unrated versions of all the films (which I have to believe exist out there somewhere), and they all but shit all over the quality of the franchise… but happy to fill their wallets with all the cash. Hopefully Paramount has wised up over the years and have plans of rockin’ Jason Voorhees the way we’ve been hoping and dreaming about for the last 20 years.

Then there’s this twist of teaming up with Platinum Dunes for PART 2. This is not a good idea. Platinum Dunes makes nice-looking movies with high production values and they have a knack for putting talent in front of the camera… but they notoriously make shitty movies. Why would Paramount want to collaborate with them? And furthermore, why would we want Platinum Dunes back in the picture? The 2009 remake was not a good movie—it’s pretty bad, actually. Both in the way they handled the character of Jason and in terms of death, kills, and capturing the spirit of the series. They just sucked at all the levels, except maybe showing off Julianna Guill’s titties and nailing the overall “look” of Jason. But Jason the pot farmer? With elaborate underground tunnels equipped with floodlights and booby traps? Come one.

The desire for another FRIDAY THE 13TH movie lies in the fact that we all want a better FRIDAY THE 13TH movie than what the 2009 version was able to deliver. We also want to watch Jason f*ck shit up on the big screen again, but more importantly, we want a new movie to deliver in the ways that the first 7 movies did (and yes, I’m saying F-U to part 8 cause that movie sucked ass). Paramount’s in a unique position to crank out something great and kick-start the franchise all over again, and lucky for them, they have an entire internet of F13 fans out there with ideas of what a new F13 movie should be like.

I’m only gonna drop the obvious and most-wanted scenario for PART 2 that seems to be floating around the internet, but if you have ideas for the next F13 movie, please share them below. The idea that most fans seem to want is to set PART 2 during the winter months at Camp Crystal Lake, where he can slice, dice, stalk, chop, and otherwise f*ck a bunch of teenagers up in the snow. I like this idea, if not because it’s one we actually haven’t seen before, thus putting a fresh twist on the same old thing. But don’t put the whole movie in the snow, because… well, that wouldn’t make much sense. I smell a great opening sequence in the snow, or maybe the very end, but the whole movie? Eff that. I want camp counselors, summertime, dark and stormy nights, but mostly camp counselors at summer camp, of which would never happen during a snow storm. But an off-season kill? Sign me up!

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but I’m trying to keep my expectations for the next edition of FRIDAY TH 13TH in check now that Paramount owns the rights once more. I want them to go buck wild and crank one out sooner than later, but I want them to do it right. I don’t really want Platinum Dunes involved, either. Paramount did just fine making them by themselves back in the 80s, they can afford to do that shit by themselves today. I want Jason to kill some fools in the snow, but also return to his roots and go after camp counselors during a session of summer camp. And yes… I want that damn ultimate collection on Blu-ray, too. So much FRIDAY THE 13TH shenanigans going on right now, I don’t know if I can handle

Extra Tidbit: What do you want to see in the next FRIDAY THE 13TH?

Related Articles

8:17PM on 06/23/2013
Have to slightly disagree with you, I actually like some of Platinum Dunes films, I enjoyed the Hitcher remake(hey it convinced me to check out the original) and I thought the 2009 film actually was pretty good, even if it did admittedly at times feel more like a TCM film then an F13 film. So i'm not at all worried about they're involvement in the series and I think part 2 will turn out pretty good(I think part 8 is pretty damn underrated BTW).

8:16PM on 06/23/2013

8:03AM on 06/19/2013

friday

Yes please !
Yes please !

4:49PM on 06/18/2013
Why all the Platinum Dunes hate? Because all of the movies they are involved with blow. Look at their track record of mostly shitty remakes. TCM the Beginning, Amityville horror, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hitcher, The Unborn to name a few. Their average Rotten Tomatoes score is 20%, with Pain and game, a non-horror movie scoring the highest at 46%.

8:17PM on 06/23/2013
I liked The Hitcher, Amityville Horror and NOES, and I really couldn't give less of a fuck what the RT score is.
1:54AM on 06/18/2013

Great idea

Well, it has not been explored in previous movies.
The kill scenes write themselves:
icicles through the eyes, hockey stick impalement, skate evisceration, sauna over steaming, date with snowblower... what fun to be had.
And there's no better contrast than red blood on white ice.
Don't go overboard with the 3-d (or if you do, the movie has to start with the same disco song as in part 3-d)
Extra point is the female nudity comes from a woman named Vorhees
Treat it just a little bit more
Well, it has not been explored in previous movies.
The kill scenes write themselves:
And there's no better contrast than red blood on white ice.
Extra point is the female nudity comes from a woman named Vorhees
Treat it just a little bit more tongue-in-cheek than the remake.
It's Friday the 13th 13th... Please don't mess it up.

Max

8:11PM on 06/18/2013
I thought the remake had a decent amount of tongue-in-cheek. The machete kill with the topless chick under the pier was definitely tongue-in-cheek, and the perfect nipple placement scene was pretty hilarious. Not to mention the jock character getting impaled and then dragged away by the truck was totally over the top and awesome after he spent the whole movie being an asshole. I wouldn't want too much more tongue-in-cheek than that to be honest, you still want Jason to be scary after all.
11:33PM on 06/17/2013

why hate on Platinum Dunes?

the underground tunnels werent the problem dude... perhaps the ONLY objection is JASON NEVER TAKES A HOSTAGE... NO SIR.... other than that... well better than JASON X, JASON GOES TO HELL and JASON TAKES MANHATTAN.....
SO WHY THE HATE FOR PLATINUM DUNES????
SO WHY THE HATE FOR PLATINUM DUNES????

9:46PM on 06/17/2013
The remake was fine by me as well. It's better than any remake out there. They can continue the story from there.

9:40PM on 06/17/2013

2009 flick was perfectly fine by me

I don't get the hate for it. First things first, it felt closer to a sequel than a remake, even if Jason's not a zombie yet and he doesn't start out with the hockey mask. Besides that, the kills on the uncut DVD are brutal as hell, the body count is crazy high, and to top it all off there's titties to the left and titties to the right.

So what if Jason has got an underground lair? I admit it's not perfect, but hear me out. Jason's not exactly Charles Foster Kane as far as layered characters go. As long as he's huge, wears a hockey mask, doesn't ever speak, and brutally murders a bunch of young adults, that's Jason to a T as far as I'm concerned.

And while we're on the subject of Platinum Dunes, I didn't mind their two Texas Chainsaw flicks either. A far sight better than the retarded new one. Bring on this sequel, Platinum Dunes or no. Like the previous commenter said, it's a simple formula and I think they know what to do.

EXTRA TIDBIT: Honestly, all I want is a handful of truly creative kills that we haven't seen before with 100% practical gore effects and a high body count. Just give me that and I'll guarantee to buy a ticket and a Blu-Ray.

8:45PM on 06/17/2013
I actually really enjoyed the remake. One of the better Jason movies next to The Final Chapter and New Blood (my personal favorite). But yeah, feature a good chunk in the snow then get back to slaughtering skinny dippin' hoes in the summer. There's a very simple formula to a good Friday flick, a very.simple.formula!

2:48AM on 06/18/2013
F13: part 7 New Blood (with the psychic) is my favorite after part 4, which scores the highest... but re-watching it, it doesnt really stand the test of time and the ending needs to be re-edited to make sense... yes her father is dead at the bottom of the lake but nobody with psychic powers can pull a dead guy out of the lake AND reanimate him AND kill Jason... it should have been her.
anyway get some of the survivors back like Corey Feldman as Tommy Jarvis, Betsy Palmer, Amy Steel and for God's sake get Lar Park Lincoln back as Tina Shepard ...oh and Kane Hodder too....
7:30PM on 06/17/2013

No more shitty remakes!

We all agree the 2009 remake was total crap so why would Friday fans be satisfied with another crappy remake?
I have always thought there should be 13 original Friday films (Jason X being the last as Freddy vs Jason is a spin off franchise on its own-not to mention FVJ is probably THE WORST movie I have ever seen and should be thrown into a valcanoe and forgotten) If they made Parts 11-13, a continuation of the original series, Friday fans would most likely respond positively as theyre additional sequels to the already loved previous films.
Ive always thought that a good idea would be for the setting to take place in 2008 right before Jason is captured and inevitably frozen and sent to 2455, where all survivors from previous films reunite back at Crystal Lake to face Jason once and for all and try to stop the curse that follows him. Corey Feldman and many other actors/actresses from previous films have already stated they would come back for another. Also, I think it would be awesome for Friday fans to included cameos from actors who've been in previous films as well like Kevin Bacon as a crazy Ralph type character, Larry Zerner (Shelly) as a sheriff, and Crispin Glover as another character for example. The 3 films can all coincide together and we find out more of secrets about Crystal Lake as well and the Lake trying to be drained by authorities in an attempt to stop Jason from coming back to life...just some ideas, but I think something like this would hold up better than another remake.

2:53AM on 06/18/2013
We all agree on this? that the 2009 remake was pure crap? really? read the comments dude... many people disagree with you and Ammon Gilbert on this... it's not perfect but we've all seen pure crap in this series before (Jason x, Jason goes to Hell, Jason Takes Manhattan?) and the remake really isnt all that bad for a Friday the 13th movie... not by anyone's standards who's seen Part 5 A new Beginning.
3:32PM on 06/17/2013
Loved the writeup Ammon, couldn't agree more with your thoughts and ideas. I too am very disappointed Platinum Dunes is going to be involved in the new movie. I tried really hard to like the latest remake but it sucked balls in so many ways.

1:55PM on 06/17/2013
I thought the remake back in 2009 was a hell of a lot better than half of the other sequels we got. If you want more of Jason Goes to Manhattan, Jason X, or the other campy sequels, be my guess, but I would prefer if they kept the series in the direction the remake used.

2:56AM on 06/18/2013
I agree. and even if they went with a straight sequel to the remake they could incorporate previous characters that had survived like Tommy Jarvis... it wouldnt make that much difference since it seemed like the Jason fro mthe remake had been a round for a while.... it seemed like the remake fits "into" the series someplace, between parts three and four.. it's just another outing for Jason and at this point why does it have to fit into context anyway?
11:53AM on 06/17/2013
I don't mind if they connect it to the remake, even though I didn't really care for it. I think the best way to go would be to kill off Clay and Whitney in the opening scene (kind of like a nod to Part 2) and then continue on a few years later with the winter idea. I agree with what zombie3298 said about bringing in strong characters that you actually care about. I know it's a tradition to have disposable horny teens and we could have some of them in there as well, but we also had characters like Ginny from Part 2 and Tina from Part 7 who were strong, well developed characters.

11:38AM on 06/17/2013

Tommy Jarvis

A great day for the F13 faithful.

Tidbit: Bring back Tommy Jarvis. Someone who WANTS to battle Voorhees. Someone who has taken him down in the past (twice!) and has come back to camp blood to finish the job once and for all.
A great day for the F13 faithful.

12:45AM on 06/19/2013
AGREED... and call it FRIDAY the 13TH part XIII NOT "JASON XIII"
either way they HAVE to capitalize on the fact that it's the thirteenth film in the series
AGREED... and call it FRIDAY the 13TH part XIII NOT "JASON XIII"
10:59AM on 06/17/2013

Tidbit and 13th film.

Anyone else aware that this would be the 13th film in the series? You would think that would mean something.

Anyways, what I would like to see please don't make it a part 2 to the remake, just make it a stand alone film, maybe a sequel to part 7 or Freddy vs. Jason (not a vs. movie). Disregard parts 8,9,X and go from there. As for the snow idea ya that's fine and adds a different element, teens battling the cold as well as a masked psycho killer but just make it creative and do something a Friday film has lacked for a long time, strong, credible characters that you kinda care for when they get knocked off, and would actually put up a fight against Jason.

12:44AM on 06/19/2013
Camp Crystal Lake in the snow? while it would seem appropriate for a snow scene in a Friday the 13th movie, I couldnt imagine they'd want to spend the WHOLE movie in the WHOLE season of winter...right?
10:36AM on 06/17/2013
Bring back Corey Feldman!!
Bring back Corey Feldman!!

Dusku, Eliza