It's the Booze Talkin', Time to say goodbye to the Terminator franchise!

07.28.2015by: JimmyO
100%

Here we are, well over halfway finished with the big summer movie season. There were a few surprises, and more than a couple disappointments. We had franchises that flourished, and others that did not. Audiences went crazy for a ton of dinosaur action in JURASSIC WORLD, and many of us reveled in the madcap mayhem of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. And then there was TERMINATOR: GENISYS. This CGI fueled return to the world of Sarah Connor and her Terminator pal didn’t pack the theatre’s in the US - although it did better overseas, that’s for sure. Many had issues with the plot, others had issue with some of the performances. Either way, this flick certainly didn’t live up to the former glory of THE TERMINATOR.

James Cameron had an inspired idea with the 1984 classic sci-fi action flick THE TERMINATOR. At times this low-budget thriller was crude and clunky, yet with a menacing Arnold Schwarzenegger, the perfect damsel in distress thanks to Linda Hamilton, and a cool as hell hero in Michael Biehn, it all worked. This is a spectacular flick that is scary, thought provoking and pretty damn brutal. Looking back at this fine feature it is easy to see why this time traveling tale of man vs. machine was able to create the franchise it did. And as good as this first film was, it was only the beginning. It was the sequel that grabbed audiences by the balls and had them begging for more.

When TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT day arrived back in 1991 - a few years after the original - it was intense and groundbreaking. There is so much to love about this incredible feature, I don’t even know where to begin. The special effects were astounding and it was filled to the brim with incredible action and suspense. This was that rare occasion when a sequel not only added to the first, but was even more stunning. Schwarzenegger was awesome and Robert Patrick was terrifying as a T-1000 - the super scary terminator out to put an end to the human race. And then there was Linda Hamilton who transformed into an iconic action figure, one that has often been copied, but seldom outdone. After this, it looked as if we were in for a franchise that would continually kick our asses on a grand scale.

It would have been very difficult to make a superior third installment after T2. And while many fans enjoyed the continued adventures of everybody’s favorite Terminator, TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES didn’t quite rise to the occasion. Looking back, there was a lot of fun with this sequel. And you have to give it some credit for giving the girls a chance to be bad thanks to Kristanna Loken. One of the major problems with this 2003 sequel is that while it was entertaining once, it isn’t all that memorable. Perhaps Cameron not taking on directing duties diluted the fun, because frankly both the first two films were so captivating, they are permanently engrained in my membrane.

Speaking of forgettable, the next installment should have been incredible. Seriously! You have the great Christian Bale as John Connor! Yet the PG-13 - the first in the series to have that rating, as the three before were all R - TERMINATOR SALVATION hardly revitalized the franchise.  McG in the director's chair couldn’t even come close to living up to Cameron. The biggest problem with this sequel is that it didn’t quite feel like a TERMINATOR film. That could have worked in it’s favor, but it was a little too disjointed to really work on its own terms. This is another flick that some fans enjoyed, but with an artificial Arnold and less-than-stellar performance from Sam Worthington, SALVATION was subpar.

There have been so many attempts at returning to the glory of the first two films. This includes the short-lived, yet critically acclaimed series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles which  probably had the best shot of truly bringing this franchise back to life. However, audiences didn’t seem to respond, even with the incredibly talented Lena Headey in the leading role. Aside from the series you had comics and even a Universal Studios attraction called T2 3D: Battle Across Time that may have been the best sequel to T2 ever made. And now you have TERMINATOR: GENISYS, a flick that had an interesting idea, yet for most it failed to live up to what once made this franchise great. Perhaps the time portal should finally be closed for good.

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but it’s time to say goodbye to the Terminator franchise. Sure the subpar sequels occasionally had something cool to offer, but it’s gone on too long to really be effective anymore. It could be nostalgia keeping this alive - and hey, it worked for JURASSIC PARK - but audiences may be growing tired of Sarah Connor, John Connor, Kyle Reese and the Terminator. As much as I dug Schwarzenegger proclaiming “I’ll be back,” it may be time to move on and perhaps embrace another thrilling science fiction adventure - EX MACHINA anyone?! As much as it pains me to say, we are long past T2 and for as many times as we’ve gone back, we should be happy to watch a couple of classic films - and a few mediocre ones - and let the machines do what they will… Humanity will be fine without another sequel.

Extra Tidbit: What do you think? Do you think there is still a great Terminator flick to be made?
Source: AITH

7:22PM on 07/28/2015

Agree

Agree totally! I guess it's a bummer that it would end on this note, but I can't stand to see a beloved franchise be dragged through the mud any further.

1:32PM on 07/28/2015

Cam

Why not have James Cameron himself come back and direct a final installment. Ignore 3, 4, and 5 and close the trilogy with the #3 the story deserves.

12:53PM on 07/28/2015
The OG Terminator series is done but I liked the new beginning Genisys gave us and although not even close to being in the same league as T1and T2, I still had fun and would watch two more in a second!

12:41PM on 07/28/2015
There seems to be an assumption that, unless they're based on a series of novels, franchises must continue non-stop until a critical and/or financial failure. People talk about that as if it was the automatic way to go. I get why, specially with a franchise like TERMINATOR that had its own mythology from the beginning. That being said... Where can the story go? Either the humans defeat the machines in the future or they don't. If there was more, why did they took the "Changing timelines" route?

12:26PM on 07/28/2015

I said goodbye after T3

I got halfway through T4 and gave up on the series. If T3 was bad but watchable, T4 was utter shit. T5 failed to be the movie that it could have been. They started strong but after 20 minutes it got so boring and I didn't care about anything that was going on. I wanted to walk out but I wasn't alone.

12:24PM on 07/28/2015

With a big heart I agree.....

I don't want a complete reboot, a prequel, sequel, or days of future past genysys BS. I want to keep what little love hasn't been lost in this franchise. Linda Hamilton will always be Sarah Connor, Edward Furlong will always be John Connor or the best so far, and Terminator 1 & 2 are the only good ones in the franchise. T3 had great action but definitely did not bring anything new or interesting to the story or characters. It will take at least 25 years to pass before i want to even hear talk of a remake. Do not keep rebooting this franchise like marvel/ DC characters. I don't need a new spiderman every 5 years or a terminator or a die hard........let it go hollywood

10:58AM on 07/28/2015
I haven't seen the new Terminator Genisys yet but so far it messes up its own timeline far too much. I'd rather watch a continuing story from Terminator Salvation. Still, I'd say leave the whole thing to end with Genisys. If they want another Terminator movie, reboot the whole thing, change every character and start fresh.

Waterston, Katherine