It's the Booze Talkin': Who should be in The Expendables 3?

08.14.2012by: Ammon Gilbert

The summer of 2010 was one of epicness and of what dreams are made of… especially if you’re a fife for old school action movies and muscle-bound action heroes. Sylvester Stallone delivered a present to fans everywhere with THE EXPENDABLES, throwing Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Eric Roberts, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger all in the same action-packed movie. We thought they couldn’t outdo a cast like that, but this week THE EXPENDABLES 2 explodes into theaters, and they’ve managed to wow us yet again with adding even more action stars to the list, including Jean-Claude Van Damme, Scott Adkins, and Chuck Norris, and giving expanded roles to Willis and Schwarzenegger. EX2 may have the dream team of action stars, but it’s hard not to think of who else could have been in there, and more importantly, who should be in THE EXPENDABLES 3 when it eventually comes out.

Keeping the crew as-is, EX3 should simply add to the already epic cast. But who? The first and obvious addition has to be Steven Seagal. The man was a big name back when the rest of the cast were big names, and he’s had a colorful career of straight-to-DVD flicks, thus positioning himself as an aging action star of yesterday… the perfect addition to an EXPENDABLES movie. He’d be the bad guy (like he was in MACHETE) and maybe… just maybe he’d have a nice little face-off with the other real-life ass-kicker Couture. Every nemesis needs a henchman sidekick… and Seagal’s should be Michael Jai White, star of BLOOD AND BONE and BLACK DYNAMITE. He usually plays the good guy (he just has a good charisma about him), which would make it all that more interesting if he was on the bad side.

But we can’t stop there in terms of baddies. Let’s face it, an EX3 would have to step up the game and include an entire fleet (one that matches The Expendables) of bad dudes. So who else should jump on board and fight for evil? Wesley Snipes (assuming they let him out of prison early), Brian “Boz” Bosworth (but only if he can rock that mullet again), Michael Biehn (a guy who’s perfect being angry), Lance Henriksen (the guy practically defines evil), Peter Weller (a real salty dog at this point), Rutger Hauer (again, salty), and to top it all off, Mel Gibson (love him or hate him, the guy knows how to inflict—and receive—pain like no other). Is it weird that most of these guys or on the older side of old? Maybe. But sometimes, the cunning of gruff and angry old men can take on and destroy the powers of brawn… and with a cast like this, who’d complain?

Now that we have the team of evil nemesis’ established, let’s look to see who The Expendables B-Team is, i.e., the group of guys Stallone calls when The Expendables needs help. Willis, Norris, and Schwarzenegger would return (they’d have to!), as would another organization of ass-kickers lead by Mr. T and Hulk Hogan. That’s right, I said it… Mr. T and Hulk Hogan show up as the leaders of the B-Team, cracking on each other with the same grab-ass ferocity as Stallone and Schwarzenegger, and thus a real treat for the audience. Throw in Jesse “The Body” Ventura (PREDATOR), Michael Dudikoff (of AMERICAN NINJA fame), Donnie Yen (IP MAN), Jeff Speakman (THE PERFECT WEAPON), Chow Yun Fat (THE KILLER), Jackie Chan (RUMBER IN THE BRONX, yo!), and “Rowdy” Roddy Piper (THEY LIVE) to fill in The B-Team, and you have yourself one kick-ass group of mercenaries for hire, all of which will show up to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

Dipping back into the ROCKY hand basket of badasses, Carl Weathers should also be in the house as well… maybe not part of the B-Team, but as a liaison to Schwarzenegger’s Trench, as a dude who comes out of “pushing pencils for the CIA” and must run point alongside Arnold. We’d all get misty-eyed for PREDATOR when the two are blowing bitches away side-by-side again, and happy to see Action Jackson back doing what he does best. And the other big name to pull out when the going gets too tough? Kurt Russell. He may not be as “washed up” as some of the others, nor is his past as action-packed as the rest of the crew, but the dude rocked ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, and for those two movies alone, he deserves a special cameo appearance. He could even wear an eye patch if he wanted, which would be a definite crowd pleaser.

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but for THE EXPENDABLES 3 to live up to the hype, they’re gonna have to add a gaggle of action stars to the roster. Sure, the above list may be overkill and if three or four of them actually end up in EX3, I’d be a happy camper… but can you imagine if all of them showed up? The only challenge would be giving each and every one of them enough screen time, and to conceive a story that’s big and epic enough to warrant such an epic cast. No more of this “bad guy wants to nuke the world” bullshit that we’ve seen a hundred times, but give us a DARK KNIGHT RISES scenario that’s so hard and heavy that Sly and The Expendables can’t do it all by themselves, something so catastrophic that they absolutely need the extra help… and that, my friends, would be ultimate EXPENDABLES movie, thus rounding out one of the greatest trilogies of all time.

Extra Tidbit: Danny Trejo and Tommy 'Tiny' Lister made the short list (but not the final)... who else did I miss? What other action stars would you like to see in The Expendables 3?

10:32PM on 08/17/2012

I also wanted to say

Let's not make this a trilogy, this could be Stallone's next Rambo or Rocky, lets see how far this can go till it sucks?

10:29PM on 08/17/2012

You Forgot...

Michael Ironside for the villains...come on, ultimate 80s and 90s villain right there. Danny Trejo, Vin Diesel, The Rock, Jeremy Renner,

You gotta add in some TV badasses Keifer Sutherland, Don Johnson and Richard Dean "MacGuyver" Anderson...Now thats a cast!

2:06AM on 08/17/2012

One more Addition

Y'all are forgetting 1 guy MARK DACASCOS!!!
Y'all are forgetting 1 guy MARK DACASCOS!!!

6:08PM on 08/16/2012

A Shame...

I see these lists and many people throw out the same names..I thought maybe HE would be an instant choice. After all HE is the most expendable man that ever walked the Earth. Yes, I am referring to HIM. The man who can save the whole f*kin country in just 24 hours.... Let the blood soaked rug roll out for Jack Bauer!

9:03PM on 08/15/2012

How about...

Peter Weller and Kurtwood Smith. How the fuck can you make an action extravaganza series and NOT give a nod to Robocop?!?

2:46PM on 08/15/2012

Where that nigga bone

Michael Jai White
Michael Jai White

8:23PM on 08/14/2012
Carl Weathers, Christopher Lambert, and somebody please find Michael Dudikoff!!
Carl Weathers, Christopher Lambert, and somebody please find Michael Dudikoff!!

1:35AM on 08/15/2012
DUDIKOFF!!!!!!!!
DUDIKOFF!!!!!!!!
5:06PM on 08/14/2012

You missed one....

The most obvious choice for a new Expendables cast member = Danny Glover!
The most obvious choice for a new Expendables cast member = Danny Glover!

1:33AM on 08/15/2012
He's too old for that shit! And because of that, he'd be perfect to join these guys. Good call!
3:49PM on 08/14/2012

What about the Highlander?

Christopher Lambert!
Christopher Lambert!

3:46PM on 08/14/2012

What about the Highlander?

Christopher Lambert!
Christopher Lambert!

1:34AM on 08/15/2012
Nice one!
Nice one!
1:34AM on 08/15/2012
Nice one!
Nice one!
1:48PM on 08/14/2012

too many asian actors

Jet Li and Jackie Chan are fine because they have a substantial resume in American movies. I think there should be a spin-off series (tied in with Jackie Chan and Jet Li's characters) set in asia, with all these high profile actors.

Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Chow Yun Fat, Stephen Chow, to name only a few

Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Chow Yun Fat, Stephen Chow, to name only a few

1:11PM on 08/14/2012
Great ideas. I would like to see Jeff Speakman, the guy playing "Mad Dog" in the Raid and Jim Kelly (dude has been a 70´s action icon and nowadays nobody remembers him). Tyler Mane (from X-Men and Halloween fame) would be impressive as an hulking henchman as well.

9:53AM on 08/14/2012

Adding Muscle

Rumor already has it that Nicolas Cage has been offered a role and that both Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford are in talks. For me though, you have to take the film to Asia and have them battle it out with the slew "Expendables" from there. LIke you mentioned Yen, Chan, Chow Yun Fat, throw in Cung Le, Tony Jaa, JeeJaa, Michelle Yeoh, and Shephen Chow for comic relief. It wouldn't hurt to have some strong acting power with Nicolas Tse or Andy Lau in there too.

Fenn, Sherilyn