It's the Booze Talkin', Why are audiences not supporting Guillermo del Toro?

10.20.2015by: JimmyO
100%

There are very few filmmakers that inspire and excite my cinema loving sensibilities quite like Guillermo del Toro. From CRONOS to CRIMSON PEAK, this incredible filmmaker is able to paint some of the most daring and inspired images ever put to screen. And while some may feel that his latest is a tad simplistic as far as the story is concerned, for me there is an old-fashioned quality to it that is actually quite refreshing. In fact, something I’ve always admired about his work is his desire to tell his own story instead of stick to the latest trend. Even his lesser works still have a genuine sense of enthusiasm and love for film. And generally, his loyal fan base and critics alike have embraced the filmmaker. So the question is, why do audiences desperate for something original shy away?

With as much advertising that was given to CRIMSON PEAK, I was genuinely surprised by the recent box office numbers. With only a couple of weeks until Halloween, this “gothic romance” offers a bit of ghostly fun for those looking for something a little different. Generally we are inundated with sequels, remakes and reboots this time of year, so the fact that this decidedly different take on a classic story should have done much better than it did. Only reaching the number four position, with just under thirteen million, seems awfully low considering how perfect a time it is. We all complain about not enough new and original genre coming out in October, so why did this not reach a larger audience?

To be fair, this is not quite the horror film that the trailers would have you believe. CRIMSON PEAK is, at it’s heart, a period romance with supernatural elements. And yes, all the advertising focused on the ghostly goings on as opposed to the dangerous love affair between Mia Wasikowska and Tom Hiddleston. Yet you’d think this would have brought more audiences in. A cool and visually twisted ghost story with red covered snow and a dark and dreary mansion? Come on, what better way to spend Halloween in the theatres? Unfortunately, del Toro’s films tend to do decent business and little more than that.

From PACIFIC RIM to HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN AGE, del Toro has had a modicum of success that never exceeded expectations. Sure, the former did incredibly well overseas, but it fell well below it’s $190 million production budget in the US - thank goodness for overseas sales. As a fan of the film, I have a little hope thanks to its foreign box office that we will see a sequel. And then there is the critically acclaimed sequel to HELLBOY that failed to generate much income - even with a solid opening - thanks to stiff competition from the following week. Yes, just seven days later saw the release of a little movie called THE DARK KNIGHT. That, in all likelihood, may have just been a case of unfortunate timing for the devilish superhero’s return.

One of the director’s most successful attempts is still easily regarded as his masterpiece. PAN’S LABYRINTH is a brilliant work that was able to capture a pretty impressive return for a foreign film, in part because of a very modest $19 million budget. Much of his work found new life on video and have generally been well regarded by his many fans. Even the original HELLBOY didn’t make enough to warrant a sequel for the studio, but it was the film’s ability to garner a massive fanbase well after its theatrical release that helped bring us a second chapter. The problem for those of us wanting to see HELLBOY 3 - or the often spoken of, seemingly out of reach, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS - is, studios have become wary of “taking a chance” on material that may not feed into the mainstream.

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but why can’t del Toro reach a larger audience? He not only creates intriguing and original works, but he is also a master at offering a visual feast. His features transcend those of most modern filmmakers, and they should be seen. There are naysayers who may not appreciate his artful visions, but you’d think in an age where we are desperate for fresh material that isn’t manufactured product, we’d welcome movies that are grand and gorgeous. CRIMSON PEAK may not have the twists, turns and scares that audiences expected, but it is a beautifully atmospheric moviegoing experience, one that should be had in a darkened theater. Perhaps after the families have seen GOOSEBUMPS - which is also entertaining October fare - del Toro's ghostly romance will find a bigger audience closer to Halloween.

Extra Tidbit: What do you think? Are you a fan of del Toro? Why are audiences staying away from CRIMSON PEAK?
Source: AITH

5:35AM on 10/25/2015

Blazzing Saddles Syndrome

Movies like this suffer from the Blazzing Saddles Syndrome. The "Masses" are just normal people, common folk, you know , morons! This movie is a niche movie, you are never going to get tweens and families to go see it no matter how good it is. With movies getting more expensive to see each year, the "Masses" want to know up front what they will be seeing. Del Toro needs to move to Instant Video or a Cable Network.

6:47PM on 10/21/2015
nobody goes to see any original works anymore. the box office numbers prove it. Even Del Toro's comic book movies made way more than any of his original stuff. Comic book movies, sequels and remakes are where the money is at currently. I've been praying for years at this point for the downward trend to end, but it just dosen't look like Hollywood is going to stop digging up shit to remake or adapt any time soon. Leaves little hope for the imaginative minds out there.

12:39PM on 10/21/2015

It did not look very good.

For me I thought the CP trailers looked boring.. CGI ghost turned me off also. The I found out that you could have taken the ghost out of the story and it would not have impacted the film one bit. Blah. I love Gothic horror but this looked like a Gothic Bore. I am sure it will look nice like all of his films do but he tends to leave me cold and or disappointed. Pacific Rim is a great example. The film looked great but the characters were so so and the action was average. It should have blown my kaiju loving ass away but it didn't It came up short like all his films do for me.

8:17AM on 10/21/2015
He has to stop releasing his movies when there's a shitty Adam Sandler movie sequel out. Kidding, but seriously though. I worked at a theatre and had to endure sell out crowds to Grownups 2 while Crimson Peak only had like 6 people in it. I questioned humanity a lot that week.

1:45AM on 10/21/2015

Fan boys suck

The issue is two things. One, we the fan boys/girls think we are a majority... or that there is this giant network of us. The bottomline is, we are the minority. A tiny portion of the film viewing public. A few hundred thousand, against millions... tens of millions. The next problem is that a large portion of those "Hundreds of thousands" are simply talk. Meaning they will talk the history of film, talk the appreciate of the art form... quote smash your face into the ground with obscure observations, and film lore to prove their great geekness... but when you really push you find out that "Arthouse" film they love so, was never purchased, or viewed in a theatre. It was simply downloaded. The problem is people go to see popcorn films like Transformers... the public at large chooses that... and the would be "Great lovers of film" for the most part, really would rather talk of being involved in the preservation of film then PAY to reward the efforts of the filmmakers. Well. Except maybe QT. We'll all get out for him. But other than that... honestly. I don't think the majority of us film folks go. I know i do. Because I am conscious of the fact the art will disappear, or become something wholly unlikeable if I do not... and I am sure many on here do. But honestly how many friends you know that say "I'll wait for it to pop up on my android, can't wait to see it". Its a shame. And I do not think anyone should be allowed to appreciate art, without the understanding they have a responsibility to participate in it's continuance. Del Torro is a fan boys dream... he is thought of highly... but I bet most people crossing this articles path, couldn't be bothered to go see it.

2:03PM on 10/20/2015
The issue seems to be more domestic that foreign. No clue why his movies don't generate box office, he's a wonderfully innovative film maker who still appreciates and promotes a proper cinematic experience. Here's hoping one day his movies get the success they deserve. At least foreign box office and not just domestic is finally being taken into account.

1:20PM on 10/20/2015
I'm a huge fan of del toro sucks this film didn't do well at the box office. It's a really visually amazing film. However, it went against Tom Hanks and a kid friendly horror film.

12:43PM on 10/20/2015
I think Crimson Peak hasn't been performing well at the box office because it is a Gothic Horror movie. I like the movie. It reminds me of old Hammer movies and old Vincent Price's movies. Modern audiences may not like Gothic Horror all that much. Does Guillermo Del Toro need bigger audiences? I'm a big fan of his works because of all the fantastic imagination he put in his movies. Maybe he just need a different material, apart from Fantasy genre, to work with.

Waterston, Katherine