Joel Kinnaman says RoboCop is not a remake

Dec. 11, 2013by: Kevin Woods

Is there a dirtier word among film buffs than 'remake'? Perhaps a variation of the word such as 're-imagining' or 'reboot', but it all boils down to the same thing, right? It's not really surprising that fans get upset when the studios decide to take a crack at reinventing a cherished film but every now and then we find ourselves surprised at the output (EVIL DEAD, anyone?). Sure, these remakes can hardly hold a candle to the original but sometimes they're worthwhile in their own right. We're hoping that is the case with ROBOCOP.

We just learned that the Jose Padilha-helmed ROBOCOP was just slapped with the PG-13 rating (cue the chorus of "Boo's") which leads one to believe that this will be a weak attempt at re-imagining the iconic character, but ROBOCOP star Joel Kinnaman wants you to know that this version of the story isn't exactly a remake. Say what??

SFX Magazine has unveiled the cover to their latest issue and it features none other than ROBOCOP as played by Joel Kinnaman in the upcoming film. The magazine also spoke with Kinnaman, who had some interesting things to say about getting cast in the film. Says Kinnaman...

“When I first heard there was gonna be a RoboCop remake, I thought, ‘Maybe I’ll see that somewhere down the line. But it’s nothing I’m interested in pursuing myself.’ Then when I heard it was José Padilha that was gonna direct it, I became very interested. José has fought very hard and succeeded in making something that has a point of view, and a political and philosophical perspective.”

Kinnaman also acknowledged that while they're remaking a beloved film, he doesn't consider it a total remake, stating...

“It’s a great responsibility. Especially in a world where there’s a lot of remakes being made for cynical economic reasons. But having José as a director washed away those fears. The biggest respect you can pay to the original is to acknowledge it as a very intelligent movie, and try to make something intelligent to follow it up with, and not just replay old catchphrases. We kept one or two as a wink to the fans, but we did not try to remake the movie.”

I'm not so sure that I'll buy that for a dollar, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Opening in theaters and IMAX on February 12, the Jose Padilha-directed film stars Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Jackie Earle Haley, Michael K. Williams, Jay Baruchel, Jennifer Ehle and Marianne Jean-Baptiste.

Extra Tidbit: I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this! What do you think of Kinnaman's statements?
Source: SFX

9:55AM on 12/12/2013
Not a remake? What a huge pile of lying shit.
Not a remake? What a huge pile of lying shit.

6:18AM on 12/12/2013

Sounds like a desperate plea

One last desperate attempt to get more bums on seats by saying it is not a remake. When it has the same characters and concept. I guess this is why the video games industry is bigger than the film industry because of original ideas.

5:49PM on 12/11/2013
my buddy's aunt makes $70 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for nine months but last month her payment was $12442 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog link... www.Buzz19.com

3:19PM on 12/11/2013
you can call a turd anything you want, but in the end it's still a turd.
you can call a turd anything you want, but in the end it's still a turd.

6:13AM on 12/12/2013
My sentiment exactly Mike
My sentiment exactly Mike
2:38PM on 12/11/2013

New name same concept

I find it funny how the studios in the last couple of years have tried to invent new names for the concept of remake. When was the last time you heard a studio admitting to doing a remake? Even though they are doing more remakes now than ever before it's NEVER a remake. It's always a re-interpretation or a re-imagining. But it's still a remake. The sad part of it are all you movie-lovers who buy into that shit and start defending the remakes on sites like this: "It's not a remake, it's a re-imagining!" Wasn't Oldboy supposed to be a re-imagining? Almost turned out to be a shot-for-shot remake....

11:12AM on 12/11/2013
The biggest respect you can pay an original is to leave it the fuck alone.

"...theres a lot of remakes being made for cynical economic reasons..."
That Joel is the only reason it's been remade.
The biggest respect you can pay an original is to leave it the fuck alone.

"...theres a lot of remakes being made for cynical economic reasons..."
That Joel is the only reason it's been remade.

11:07AM on 12/11/2013
I don't think anything he said equals "not a remake."
I don't think anything he said equals "not a remake."

11:04AM on 12/11/2013

I'll buy that for a dollar...in Wallmart.

It opens in February, shows the studio has no faith in it.
It opens in February, shows the studio has no faith in it.

10:49AM on 12/11/2013

Ok, yeah that is the word of the day.

You can reimagine all you want, it wont make this movie and better or put more butts in chairs to see it. This is going to bomb harder than John Carter.

9:56AM on 12/11/2013
It's not a remake. It's a Re-Imagining. Wow. Admit it, it's a remake at some point.

Ramsey, Laura