10.18.2012by: The Arrow

Halloween! My favorite Michael Myers masks!

What better way to celebrate the Halloween season than by taking a look at our favorite Samhain slasher MICHAEL "BOOGEYMAN" MYERS and his Halloween face-wear of choice, his famous white mask! It has changed considerably from film to film and here's my breakdown, least favorites to tops! Agree? disagree? Stab away like I was your sister below!

9- Myers mask from Halloween 5 (1989)

From my point of view Dominique Othenin-Girard's Halloween 5 did everything wrong and yes right down to the Myers mask deviated too much from The Shape's token face wear for my liking. This came off more like Micheal's backwards yee-haw cousin than the genuine article. Awful looking! Fuck this mask and fuck this movie!

8- Myers mask from Halloween 6 (1985)

I never cared for this bulky and off the rack version of the mask. Looked slap dash to me. Like they didn't even try to get it right. Yawn.

7- Myers mask from Halloween 4 (1988)

I call this one the bland and mature Myers mask. I see this mask with its well combed hair and all I can think of is "Uncle Michael". All that's missing is a cardigan. Kind of boring. NOTE: That one shot in the movie (schoolhouse scene) where the mask has freaky blonde hair was actually the original Captain Kirk mask used in the original. They were gonna use that mask for the shoot, but then decided to go with their own version.

6- Myers mask from Halloween (2007)

Myers washed out and lightly ruined mask here fit like a glove in terms of Rob Zombie's more grungy and grounded rendition of Myers and it stabbed me right!

5- Myers mask from Halloween 7 (1998)

Many versions of the mask were used in H20 (the first time we see Mike, he's wearing a Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers mask) but it's the sleek, big eyes, alien grey like version of it that was in the movie for the bulk of the running time that gave me the willies. Didn't care for the flick (the sell-out of Michael Myers) but loved the mask!

4- Myers mask from Halloween 8 (2002)

The film was ass on a stick but the mask here (and the way it was lit), combined with Brad Loree's aggressive performance made sure I remembered this Michael as one of the scariest. This was the "I mean business" Myers mask. Too bad Busta Rhymes didn't get the memo.

3- Myers mask from Halloween 2 (2009)

The grungy and mucho battle worn mask Michael pimped in Rob Zombie's second remake installment Halloween 2 always did it for me. Similar as the one in Zombie's Part 1 but damaged! Myers never looked more pissed off and dangerous.

2- Myers mask from Halloween (1978)

Sometimes less results in more. Due to lack of coin, the makers of Halloween had to use the cheapest mask that they could find; a Star Trek William Shatner mask. They made the holes of the eyes bigger, teased its hair and painted it white. The result was one of the most frightening and iconic slasher mask on the chopping block. Scary peering out of the shadows and in bright daylight!

1- Myers mask from Halloween 2 (1981)

The mask here was the same that was used in the original Halloween but the paint had faded since and what was left had become more of a yellowish color due to dust and ample cigarette smoke (from producer Debra Hill who owned the mask after the shoot of Part 1). So this is my favorite version of the mask. Old school with a morbid twist! There's just something mucho unsettling about it.

6:23PM on 10/19/2012
I liked this mask when I first saw it. But on repeated viewings (or should I say, that one repeated viewing), I kind of hated it. It was too formed and awkward and "updated" to seem like the original mask. Not to say that the others were much better.

6:22PM on 10/19/2012

I have to disagree.

As far as films go, in my opinion, I thought H20 was fantastic. In fact, if I only watch parts 1, 2, and 7 that rounds out a perfect Halloween trilogy for me. And that's how I pretend it plays out, so I can sleep better at night.

2:19PM on 10/19/2012
1, 2, 4, RZ1, 6, RZ2, 5. 7&8 can fuck off, absolutely atrocious with facial expressions.

3:50AM on 10/19/2012
H20 is the sell-out of Michael Myers? The series had been ripping off other flicks since Halloween II.

7:57PM on 10/18/2012
For me it would go 2, 1, Zombie's 2, Zombie's 1, 6, 7, 4, 5 and then 8. I really hate the RESURRECTION mask most of all. I hate the forced angry look on the face, the hair and I really just hate almost everything about the movie. The fact that when I see the mask I'm reminded of Busta Rhymes donning it in one scene and spewing terrible dialogue for some unwanted comic relief doesn't help matters much. Besides that, I really don't hate any of the other masks, they usually work well for their respective films. The mask in 6 actually really freaks me out, Michael himself saved that film from being total shit. He was actually at his most menacing in that one aside from the original 2 if you ask me.

6:51PM on 10/18/2012

Myers Masks

I like part 4 the best, followed by part 2... You can't compare the Zombie movies, like anything else, all FX, etc have adavnced since the "old films" came out. Of course the Zombie masks should look better, he had much more to work with then the low budget flics back then...

4:00PM on 10/18/2012
This is the slasher mask every other slasher mask wants to be when it grows up.
This is the slasher mask every other slasher mask wants to be when it grows up.

3:57PM on 10/18/2012
I liked the face bandages from 'H4' and the scary-guy mask from 'H5' more than the rotting Zombie shit. Hell, I even preferred it when he wore the Man in Black cowboy hat at the end of 'H6' more.

3:54PM on 10/18/2012
My favorite is the one from Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN II, followed by the one from his HALLOWEEN remake. The films are donkey ass on a platter, but the mask looks so cool. The clean white masks don't do it for me as much as the disheveled, ruined mask.

11:53AM on 10/18/2012

No Big Disagreements...

But I'd still put the original over Halloween 2, I guess because the original was lit better. The less I see of his eyes and the more I see of total darkness the more that mask frightens me. Which is why I'd go a little lower on the H20 mask as well.

11:16AM on 10/18/2012
Good ranking , though I'm not as big a fan of ' angry Meyers ' in Resurrection . Maybe it's all Busta related , but ..

9:56AM on 10/18/2012
I really like this one. Not being able to see the eyes is crucial to the look IMO.

Lowndes, Jessica