10.16.2013by: The Arrow

The Arrow's Top 8 reasons why the Supernatural TV show rocks!

It's the Halloween season, I'm grooving to a horror show, I'm sharing the love! Now, I havenít followed a TV Show since The X-Files. Not because I donít want to but because I simply donít have the f-ing time to do so. But shit changed this year as I got hooked to not one but two current TV Shows. They are Game of Thrones (which I finally caught up to) and Supernatural (I am at Season 4 at the moment). The latter left quite an impression me. I actually got into it by accident. I was channel surfing one night and caught an episode halfway in. And I just couldn't let it go as it reminded me of The X-Files and for good reason, The X-Files director Kim Manners had directed it.

So once the end credits rolled, I was in like Flint (whomever that dude is)! So I went back and started watching the show from Season 1 and onward. Now I know all of you Supernatural fans are at Season 9 at this point in your journey, but that wonít stop me from listing the TOP 8 things that I LOVE about this show so far! So hop into your Chevrolet Impala, lock and load them salt guns and letís roll!

8- The horror movie references.

One thing I dig about the show, which may go over "regular" people's heads is just how much it winks at or references horror movies. It does it either via a song, name dropping the title, witty dialogue or circumstances that mirror those of a famous horror film. I caught nods to: The X-Files, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Ring, Manhunter, Ghostbusters, Willard, The Shining, classic monsters like Dracula and The Mummy and the list goes on! So for a horror fan, this show and I park our cars in the same garage.

7- The supporting cast!

Look I'm just at Season 4, so I'm sure the supporting cast beefs up in the future, but thus far I am mucho impressed by the casting of the side players! For example: Fredric Lehne as "Yellow Eyes", Jeffrey Dean Morgan as John Winchester, Jim Beaver as the affable Bobby, Traci Dinwiddie as the flirty physic Pamela or my personal favorite Castiel played by Misha Collins. The supporting cast in this show is BEYOND top notch and really brings more cred to the whole. So major props to all!

6- The scares!

For a Network show (WB) this bad boy can be pretty damn intense! Like the creepy kids in the episode "The Kids Are Alright," the imaginary friends in "Playthings", the murderous clown in "Everybody Loves a Clown", the eerie Mary in "Bloody Mary", the slash happy Scarecrow in "Scarecrow" or the brutal demon kid Lilith. They all gave me the willies. THANK YOU FOR THAT!

5- The hot chicks!

Yeah the two leads look like models, but us dudes get the deluxe treatment as well! Every chick in this show is sizzling hot! I"m talking the sultry Katie Cassidy as Ruby, Adrianne Palicki as Sam's girl. Sasha Barrese as a sexy demon, Emmanuelle Vaugier as a werewolf, Katherine Boecher as a grown up Lilith, Lauren Cohan (my personal favorite) as the love to hate, to bang Bella or Genevieve Padalecki (Jared Padalecki's real life wife... lucky bastard) as the second Ruby! Yeah we're well served in the hottie department!

4- The varied monsters!

I gotta hand it to Supernatural, it goes all out in the horror book of monsters! So far I've gotten a djinn, zombies, a rugaru (cannibal creatures in short), shapeshifters, demons, vampires, wendigos, ghosts, angels, hellhounds, cupids, werewolves, crazy God worshipers, a davea (hot chick beastie), a killer scarecrow... and that's just the tip of the ice pick! No monster stone goes unturned in Supernatural!

3- The badass attitude!

Everything about Supernatural is leaned towards the BAD and the ASS! The music (Scorpions, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Survivor, Metallica, Led Zeppelin and the list goes on and on!), the cool ass clothes (Dean has the best leather jackets), the slick 1967 Chevrolet Impala, to the varied weapons. This show doesn't fore-go the cho in MACHO! All good with me!

2- The Winchester Brothers

Itís no secret that the ladies love Dean and Sam. Any chick I talk to, all they do is GUSH over them. All good. But speaking from my point of view, I will say this; not only are Jared Padalecki and Jansen Ackles mucho likeable in the show (I really relate to Dean), but the effortless chemistry they both share together is totally endearing and in my opinion the GLUE that keeps this show going. Word on the street is that in real life, they are very close friends, pretty much family, and you know what, it shows. When I sit my ass down to clock the show, it feels like Iím hooking up with two old buds and that kind of magic canít be manufactured, it either happens or doesnít happen. Supernatural is lucky to have two leads that are so engaging separately and even more so together. They can make even a sub-par episode worth watching.

1- The writing and directing!

Supernatural has been blessed with some great writers and directors! Peeps that manage to balance the horror, drama and the comedy in the show perfectly! Writers like John Shiban (Breaking Bad), Raelle Tucker (True Blood) and Cathryn Humphris (Mad Men). And directors like Kim Manners (a The X-Files veteran), Robert Singer (Smallville) or Rachel Talalay (Freddyís Dead: The Final Nightmare). There's all kinds of class behind the camera when it comes to this show and in my book, they are the numero uno reason as to WHY this sucka has been whooping that ass for so long!

10:43PM on 11/01/2013
Been watching since the beginning. The first 4-5 seasons are pretty much flawless IMO. Once the main arc ends after season 5, I feel the show begun to slip. It's still enjoyable, just not on the same level it once was. Haven't even checked out the current season yet, lost a lot of interest after the last couple. Dean's still the man though!

11:17PM on 10/25/2013

Katie and Lauren

Heck yeah. Katie is way underrated. And Lauren makes me want to see a Supernatural/Walking Dead crossover, just for the look on Sam & Dea's faces when they see Maggie, then Maggie responding with, "What y'all lookin' at?"

2:22PM on 10/17/2013
The other thing I love is how many actors from 2 of my all time fav shows always show up on this show, like nice tributes to what came before. Amy Acker ,Julie Benz , Charisma Carpenter, James Masters, Amber Benson, Harry Groener and Mercedes McNab all coming from the Buffyverse and then you have Mitch Pileggi, Steven Williams and William B Davis, Cigarette Smoking Man himself from The X-files!

2:05PM on 10/17/2013

Love this show!!!

I also started it on Netflix and I love the overall mythology of the show. They also balance the humor and drama perfectly. I own all eight seasons on DVD and will be buying 9 and 10....I think they are ending it a 10. It's one of those shows I can rewatch anytime and still enjoy the hell out of it. My fav seasons were 4 and 5, once the Angels got there and things really hit the fan I was riveted! Love the all characters, can't get enough of Cas & Crowley, I miss Meg & (not going to ruin it but I'm sure some people here know who I was going to say) and Charlie is awesome! She needs to be on there more. Garth is hilarious and Kevin is becoming quite an interesting character. Of course, I am a Dean girl all the way! Ezekiel has me wondering whether or not he is actually as good as he says.....waiting to see how that is going to turn out. I kind of hope that Benny will return somehow, liked his and Dean's friendship. Abaddon is turning into quite a threat! I like her!!!

6:30PM on 10/16/2013

I'm still kind of pushing through season 1

I agree it does have a lot going for it, I'm just not that into it yet. I heard after the 1st season it gets better. I hope so.

2:13PM on 10/17/2013
It really does! The shows mythology and overall story really start picking up in Season 2, and Season 1 has one hell of a finale cliffhanger that you don't see coming for a mile away!
5:18PM on 10/16/2013
Yeah this is definitely one of the reasons why the show isn't what you'd typically expect from a CW show (although I do say they get more crap than they deserve). No pop crap, everything is classic rock and yeah... bad ass. It all just fits in perfectly with the tone of the rest of the show.

4:07PM on 10/16/2013

My favorite show currently on TV...

When I first started watching it on netflix in the summer of 2012 I was told by a few people that the show loses some magic as it dives into building its own mythology more and drifts a bit from the monster of the week stuff, but I thankfully didn't agree with them. I tore through everything and was caught up by the time the new season last year aired, and have begun rewatching the series (on season four myself in this rewatch right now) and catching the new eps that started last week.

So

So yeah, I love the show. I don't think it's lost a step in the evolution of the story, even though it's been almost double the seasons that were intended.

12:19PM on 10/16/2013

Top 5 reasons it is not as awesome

I loved this show... and like many have continued to watch it long after the awesome has faded waiting for the awesome to return. I like to think much a heroine addict chasing the first high.... point is. WTF. Does anyone remember when there was a thin thread through a season... a ton of stand alone episodes (like Xfiles) just fun. Now... year after year. Villains survive. One of the brothers dies, or doesn't die, or kinda dies, and everything just keeps on going. Whats that Angels vs demons vs Sam/dean round 5? sure why not. Dear God... Just show up end things give dean and sam some hottie angel babes and let them get back to hunting the things that go bump... as opposed to poor misguided angels hahaha ahhhhhhhh makes a man wanna give up church lol I mean every season for last few years has been - Villain Battle - A brother dies. Open season... how we get him back, oh and either villain lives, or new villain took place. Every freaking year.

11:56AM on 10/16/2013

Great show...that probably could have ended already

One of the best shows on TV! I got several friends into it, even my old man. Everybody watched it and with good reason. I have to say that seasons 1-5 are fantastic. In fact it was originally meant to end there, which would have been perfect. Because of high TV ratings on came seasons 6 and 7...which I'll be honest were not great...they seemed forced. But hang in there as season 8 is the best since 5 and 9 is already kicking my ass!

12:04PM on 10/16/2013
Everybody tells me that Season 6 is the worst, 7 is better and 8 is a comeback. Am scared now to get to Season 6, but hey I still have Season 4 to finish and 5 to tackle before I get there.
10:52AM on 10/16/2013
love the fact it uses old school rock when so many shows use new shitty music its a breath of fresh air and come on the car gotta love the car

10:49AM on 10/16/2013
love jim beaver wish he was a bigger star loved him in deadwood and he is great as bobby gotta love misha to he kicks ass as cass

10:46AM on 10/16/2013
i fucking love this show own seasons 1 thru 7 i cant praise this show enough
i fucking love this show own seasons 1 thru 7 i cant praise this show enough

10:00AM on 10/16/2013
I'm only on season 3, but I'm digging the hell out of this show! Very X-Files, but with more swagger. Love it.

12:21PM on 10/16/2013
I envy you lol... be warned things start to get so very one dimensional after season 5. Much like the Xfiles towards the end.
9:24AM on 10/16/2013
Jim Beaver is a hidden talent. That guy is so great on this show, and then right after gave an awesome performance on Justified. That guy needs to be in more things. He's got a big role in Crimson Peak I think!

Goth, Mia