Yesterday brought us the very exciting news that a fifth film in the long-running PHANTASM series is coming our way, presumably much sooner than anyone might've anticipated. As a longtime phan of Don Coscarelli's 1979 cult classic and the three sequels that it spawned this was very welcome news indeed. A teaser poster revealed that the upcoming sequel will be titled PHANTASM V: RAVAGER and the word is that the film has already been shot! Now new details have emerged and it has been revealed that this fifth entry has been helmed by someone other than series creator Coscarelli. Wanna know more? Of course you do! Read on.
The Phantasm Archives dug up some new details on RAVAGER, which is broken down bullet-point style below:
- To reiterate, this project has been filming little by little since 2008.
- The original working title for several years was "Reggie's Tales."
- The original cast members put in appearances along with some Don Coscarelli regulars.
- It was partly filmed in Crestline, CA at Reggie Bannister's own home!
- Many of the familiar series elements are back... the 'Cuda and the sphere especially. Oh, yes... there will be blood!
One of the most surprising bits of news that came to light last night was that Don Coscarelli did NOT direct the new film. STYD learned that RAVAGER was written and directed by artist David Hartman of Sideshow Monkey under the supervision of Coscarelli. While the fact that Coscarelli didn't direct this new film may surprise or even upset longtime fans, at least he is involved with the film. I'm sure Hartman can deliver something badass with Coscarelli by his side so I'm not the least bit concerned. I'm just stoked that we're getting a fifth film!
Here's hoping we can see some footage, maybe even a trailer, real soon. This film can't get here soon enough!