More zombies on TV, Fox & SPT set to adapt Zombieland to the small-screen

Oct. 17, 2011by: Jake Dee

With the second season of "The Walking Dead" gobbling TV ratings...I guess it only makes sense.

THR has it that Fox and Sony Pictures TV have green-lit a new half-hour comedy series based on Ruben Fleischer's 2009 hit zom-com ZOMBIELAND. Be honest, is that something you'd be down with?

Word is scribes of the film, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, will reprise their duties for the small-screen adaptation. Gavin Polone is set to produce, as he did with the feature film, with plans to get the film into development for the 2012-2013 broadcast season.

As alluded to in the opener, this development is really not that shocking from Fox and SPT's point of view. And honestly, a ZOMBIELAND 2 never seemed very likely to begin with, especially considering how busy the cast members became in the wake of the film's success (Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg in particular). And with horror making its undying mark on the TV format ("True Blood", "Dexter", "American Horror Story", "Teen Wolf" etc. etc.), a ZOMBIELAND show seems a wise move...at least on paper.

But all that's immaterial if there's no viewer interest. So let's drum a poll. You game for such a prospect, or would you rather see a straight up ZOMBIELAND 2 movie?

The Stone

Extra Tidbit: A legitimately good idea or a sad attempt to get "The Walking Dead's" audience?
Source: THR

1:30PM on 10/18/2011
as mentioned by a few it was meant to be a tv show. if the same people are indeed involved then it could be really good, but i do love the characters from the movie (and obviously the actors who brought them to life) so I really would love a film sequel.

10:04AM on 10/18/2011

Uncertain

As state by DropDeadFred the show was originally intended for TV but now that I've seen the R rated goodness that was the movie I just don't know if doing a TV show would really work unless it were on HBO, Showtime or Starz (I'll even say FX). I'll remain neutral until I see the finished product, then I will reign my judgement down.

8:40AM on 10/18/2011

Sounds good to me...

I knew the movie was supposed to originally be a T.V. Series. I'm curious to see if they can get this one off the ground properly.

Casting and the ability to have an "HBO" Style series are key elements - if Fox decides to Air it then a lot of the humor and violence goes out the window.

5:45AM on 10/18/2011

Zombieland was SUPPOSED to be a TV show

I'm not quite sure why people think it won't work. The script was FOR a TV show, they just had to make it into a film instead for one reason or another.

That's why they have "Zombie kill of the week". It makes far more sense when you realise that was supposed to be an actual weekly event.

2:47AM on 10/18/2011
hmmm? don't really know which I'd rather see. A New movie, or a series. If it was done right a series would last longer. If both are done right, and all the cast returns either one is cool with me.

2:07AM on 10/18/2011
Zombieland as a TV show just doesn't seem like a great idea. Maybe if they made it an hour at least... really, though, they should just leave it alone...

1:09AM on 10/18/2011

Shame about the sequel.

Zombieland was originally planned as a TV series, but nobody thought zombies would work on TV. They talk about it on the Commentary track for the DVD.

12:32AM on 10/18/2011
Quite frankly, if it's on Fox and it's genre (that isn't produced by Spielberg), then it will only get 4 episodes out before it's canceled.

12:28AM on 10/18/2011

LEAVE IT.

I am in love with Zombieland... and as much as I want a sequel, I don't want it just for sequels sake. I want it to be as much fun and just as good of a bloody blast that the first one was. But if that's not possible, then leave it. Hence why the idea of turning it into a tv show makes me gag. Just leave Zombieland as it is, PLEASE.

11:41PM on 10/17/2011
No more zombie anything, please. Give it a rest.
No more zombie anything, please. Give it a rest.

Ramsey, Laura