In late October of last year we learned that Nicolas Winding Refn's badass-titled all-female horror film I WALK WITH THE DEAD will be penned by British playwright Polly Stenham. A couple of months later, the films rumored star Carey Mulligan spoke about the mysterious project, and while she certainly seemed enthused to work with Refn again after DRIVE, there was a degree of uncertainty about when, or if, the film would enter production. Now Refn has taken to Twitter to deliver us the following news:
The silence has been broken my next film will be I WALK WITH THE DEAD shooting in LA— Nicolas Winding Refn (@NicolasWR) June 6, 2014
Yes, Refn has announced the picture will be his next, and we couldn't be more excited! We're big fans of Refn here at AITH and to have him dabbling in our beloved genre has us stoked!
The director made use of his infrequent Twitter account to drop the news, but what do we really know about it? Well, writer Polly Stenham says it's an "all-female horror" and one that hopes to recalibrate the opinion of those that think Refn doesn't care much for the women in his films, as she shared:
“He’s got a lot of stick for doing films some people think are violently misogynistic. So he approached me with the idea of doing something different.”
As for the plot, no exact details yet, nor is it certain that DRIVE star Carey Mulligan, long said to be attached to the project, is still on board. But the movie will shoot in Los Angeles, and the cast for this one should be quite interesting. We'll keep you posted.
Hell yes! Refn is doing a horror film!