Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 10 / February 17, 2013)

Feb. 18, 2013by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 10: Home

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (The following column contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode). The crew had an eventful evening, but let's start with Rick. I don't like this meltdown he's having. Like I said before, the phone thing is in the comics, but they're drawing it out here and I'm not a fan. Rick's not crazy, stressed nearly to the breaking point, yes, but not crazy. Hopefully, what happens at the end of this episode snaps him the hell out of it (but we'll get to that later). So who's up for Andrea as Woodbury's new leader? I'm still a bit stumped by the whole Andrea/Governor love story and truth be told, I find it to be the weak link of the season. There's far too much time being wasted on Andrea these days when loads of more important shit's going down. Just my opinion.

So where did Tyreese and his people vanish to? I was hoping to get a little insight into this situation, but sadly no details came to light. I'm sure these guys will pop back up sooner or later (Tyreese is a main character in the comics), but throwing them back out to pasture could put them anywhere at this point. Glenn's pissed and I can see why, but he and Maggie really need to hash that stuff out. Yes, it was a tragic series of events that almost got them killed, but the key word here is almost. You're not dead guys, you're fine and back with the group. Get over that shit, you have bigger problems. I'd also like to see more of Milton. I don't know why, but something about him fascinates me and I think he could play a vital role in things if they give him some more screen time.

I was as shocked as everyone else when Daryl took off with Merle, but I had a feeling that they'd have at each other once the dust settled. The walker battle on the bridge was cool (Daryl owned that shit), and of course Merle had to sour up the moment. I loved how Daryl checked him back into reality though, but I'm very curious to hear more about the tattoo/scars on Daryl's back. This could've been mentioned before (their dad?), but I don't remember and want to hear more. It was high time someone called Merle out on the past, and I was happy to see Daryl do it. One thing that's bugging me with each passing episode is how these guys are all driving nice, shiny new cars. Where'd they get them, and where's all this gas coming from? Sure, sure, I know it's nitpicking, but every time I turn around someone's got a new set of wheels and seemingly infinite gas.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's tenth episode starts off a little slow but ends with a bang that could shatter the windows of a skyscraper. Just when I thought the Governor was turning into a pussy, he pulls this assault out of his ass (I loved how he just stood there like a boss, not bothering to take cover). Back to Rick, I'm hoping this pulls him out of his downward spiral and puts him back in the game. Seeing Merle and Daryl come to everyone's rescue was awesome, and was realistically the only way they could have the group welcome Merle back in. I wondered who the driver of the zombie truck was, and where they disappeared to, but I guess it doesn't really matter. The way it all went down though, I wasn't sure if that truck was with the Governor or not. I'm guessing it was part of his plan. At least everyone's in the same place again (aside from Tyreese and Andrea), because an hour isn't a long time to split up over three or four groups of people. Fantastic ending to a great episode, can't wait for next week.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: slamming the car trunk on that walker's face was awesome.

BLOOD AND GORE: Nobody gets eaten tonight, but there's lots of gunshots, beheadings and killing to go around.

WHOSE HEAD BELONGS IN THE GOV'S FISHTANK: Glenn. I love Glenn and I know he just went through a raw deal, but come on man, you bolt off on a sulking spree when everyone needs you the most. If ever there was a time to man up and keep a level head, it was tonight. Hopefully Glenn snaps back into line after this as well.

COOLEST SCENE: No question, tonight's coolest scene was during the assault at the end when Rick's bogged down by two walkers and suddenly a crossbow bolt comes exploding through one of their heads. You the man Daryl.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: So is it time to move from the prison to Woodbury yet?

4:56PM on 02/21/2013

Some things to consider

Considering all the juicy themes the show and the comics explore, you seem to only focus on the superficial aspects. First of all Rick's grappling with sanity is very relevant and not redundant in that he parallels the Governor in many ways. The episode where he hears the group members on the phone is about him coming to terms with his guilt for everything that has happened. Episode ten, unlike the other episode where he heard Lori, is outside. The setting suggests Rick searching for redemption that didnt exist in the grimy prisson. He even tells Hershel after admiting to seeing Lori, that he thinks "it means something". There is clearly a progression from guilt occupying the darkest recessess of his heart to existential optimism. The theme of children on the show is very pertinent, youth itself seems to be a beacon of hope embodies penultimate loss. Look at Daryl's relationship to children. Rick and Carl. And even the Governor and his daughter Penny. This fits in with the aspect of understanding what is real and what isnt and decerning death from life and redemption from loss, themes that are contridictory yet intimately intertwined. The Governor is consumed by loss and has turned that void into hatred. When Michonne killed the Penny zombie, he thought she was still alive, and was willing to lay down his life for a walking corpse. After she dies, he completely goes off the deep end. Rick on the other hand has also lost his wife and as we see still manages to cling to reality and his humanity. The real question is what would happen to Rick if he loses his children.
On a side note, one of the major differences between the comics and the show is the safety of the prison. In the comics, there is no vulnerability or walkers stumbling around the tombs. the prison in the comics is a safe haven, impenetrable to the dead. This is a major reason that the Governor wants to take over the prison in the comics and relocate Woodbury there. the irony there is at the end, he gets so frustrated that he just barrels through the fence, defeating the purpose of the prisons sanctuary. The Governor in the show simply wants the dead to move back into the prison so ricks group will die so they can come back and clear it out whatever supplies for themselves.

4:33PM on 02/21/2013

Some things to consider

12:26AM on 02/20/2013
I'm confused, is woodbury the place in the comics where the group goes after the prison, but just changed around in the show to house the gov and his crew? It looks that way, so I'm guessing they either will kill him and take over woodbury or they'll go somewhere we haven't seen yet.

11:08AM on 02/20/2013
The Governor was always in Woodbury, that's directly from the comics.
The Governor was always in Woodbury, that's directly from the comics.
1:52PM on 02/19/2013

9/10 Great Episode

I think this will snap Rick back into reality, somewhat. I actually cheered out loud when Daryl and Merle came to the rescue. I think this gets Merle back into the group, but whether he's a truly changed person or not remains to be seen. I think him seeing Daryl's scars from their dad really hit home and might bring a turn to his character. Although I have to admit Rooker is great playing the racist redneck. The ending was insane. The Gov finally shows he's an evil son of a bitch. I just hope they dont kill him off to quickly, would like to see him stick around for season 4.

11:35AM on 02/19/2013
I think the Governor's intention was to get the group to waist their ammunition. Which is why he used the ice cream truck tactic. Its a smart play when you know you have more gun and bullets than your enemy.

2:03AM on 02/19/2013
I'm thinking woodbury's ripe for the picking right about now, especially since the governor seems to keep underestimating the group. He should have brought more people if he wanted to crush them, and if not, why bother, all it's gonna do now i make them want to crush you. And round and round we go. Good times though.

12:29AM on 02/19/2013
Another great episode. Now I'm start to get curious myself as to what Rick is searching for. I guess he needs some closure or something. Axel's death was a bit of a surpise. And yes, you're the man, Daryl!

8:57PM on 02/18/2013
I hope they're getting ready to storm woodbury and shove a dead zombie arm up the Gov's ass.

7:16PM on 02/18/2013
This episode certainly foiled one prediction I had about Axel. I figured it would turn out his benign reason for being in prison was a lie and was actually there because he was a sexual predator. And he was waiting until he was the only able-bodied man left behind with all the women before he turned on them. But I guess that won't happen now.

Only part I didn't get was why Maggie was angry at Glenn. Okay so she had to take her shirt off for the Gov, but why take that out on Glenn?

To

To answer your queries, the driver of the zombie truck ran back out of the front gate she had just smashed open, taking potshots at Michonne along the way (pretty sure it was a she, had kind of a shapely figure). Also, Robert Kirkman confirmed on Talking Dead that Merle and Daryl were talking about their father (being the one who gave Daryl his scars).

8:57PM on 02/18/2013
I think she's being a little too hard on Glenn do.
I think she's being a little too hard on Glenn do.
11:13AM on 02/20/2013
That has nothing to do with it, Maggie being mad, she's over that. Glen is the one who won't let it go, keeps bringing it up to see if she was raped after she told him already that she wasn't. He has made the incident all about HIM and HIS feelings about it and is ignoring her feelings in an effort to make himself feel better. Glen is being a self centered prick at the moment.
7:01PM on 02/18/2013

Andrea

I agree about Andrea, her storyline is weak. I get why it's there, but you're right, there's lots more exciting ground to cover.

2:03AM on 02/19/2013
Yeah, Andrea's gotta go.
Yeah, Andrea's gotta go.
3:53PM on 02/18/2013
I was asking the same question about Tyreese and his group, And I got a feeling that person in the ice cream truck wasn't with the gov, but who knows. Great episod e that was the stuff that season finales are made of, and we still got a handful left this season cannot wait to see what unfolds.

2:31PM on 02/18/2013
I knew Daryl would save the day and I can't wait to see how riled up Merle gets the group.

12:45PM on 02/18/2013
Dude from Trueblood nailed it on talking dead last night when describing the Governor by saying pretty much everything you've been saying all along about how he's completely different from his comic book counterpart. I don't think we'll see him sink as deep into evil as we want but tonight's episode was a good start.

Richardson, Joely