Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 11 / February 24, 2013)

Feb. 25, 2013by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 11: I Ain't a Judas

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (The following column contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode). "I think you should stop." "Stop what?" "Being the leader." Oh Carl, so wise beyond your years, but it must be a kick in the nuts to hear your son tell you to step down and relax for awhile, truth or no truth. I think a couple days sleep would do Rick wonders, might have to wait until after the war though...and maybe after they get rid of all the walkers in the yard...and fix the fence...shit, Rick ain't getting any sleep folks, so I guess he'll have to walk it off. At least there wasn't any hallucinations or freak outs tonight (he may or may not have been about to have one before Carl joined him), so hopefully Rick's run with Michonne and Carl will be all the fresh air he needs.

Meanwhile, the Governor's preparing for war...with asthmatic kids and old ladies with arthritis. That certainly is scary, but right now, I doubt they'd stand a chance against a full on assault from Rick and crew. The Governor may have been lying to Andrea about what went on at the prison, but he did get one thing right, the group has become bloodthirsty. War's in the air and this bunch has been pushed too far into a corner. One thing the comics did well was balance the violence and humanity levels of our beloved characters. They're beaten down, they're tired, hungry, but there's always a few holding on to hope. Hershel's one of those people I suppose, as is at least one of his daughters (her singing was just the thing to calm the tension in the air), but the gang are starting to feel ravenous and look as though they're about to snap.

Merle is as much of a wild card as Michonne, and his addition to the group is definitely stirring things up for better and for worse. He's blunt in describing both the Governor and what he'll do, but that's good as these are things the group needs to hear. I'm happy to tried to mend fences with Michonne, but I'm not so sure she's the forgiving type. Speaking of which, her aside with Andrea hit some nerves, but as we saw in the end, it wasn't enough to sway her. Carol's plan came as a bit of a surprise as she's not usually one to condone violence so easily, but for once I agree with her.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's eleventh episode is a building block for explosive events to come, and what better way than seeing Tyreese and his crew end up in Woodbury. The look on the Governor's face when they mentioned the prison, Rick and their state of affairs was priceless. At first it felt like they might up floating in his fish tank, but now, he'll use them to their fullest potential. And what's worse, is that they're willing to go the extra mile to stay in Woodbury. It's hard to tell if the Governor fully trusts Andrea, loves her, or is simply using her at this point as his mood and actions are constantly changing. I was waiting for his eye to snap open when Andrea turned her back, or reach up and grab the blade. Does he know? I think so, but I'm thinking Andrea's part of a more sinister plan we don't yet know about...or dude's just happy to be nailing a hottie in the zombie apocalypse. Either way, I'm sure we'll find out soon.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: Okay, so maybe this zombie doesn't die, but getting his arms lopped off and curb stomped was the most fun we had tonight at a walker's expense.

BLOOD AND GORE: See previous statement.

WHOSE HEAD BELONGS IN THE GOV'S FISHTANK: Rick, it's your turn. I'm sorry brother, I know times are tough, your wife's gone and the bells are literally ringing in your ears, but you're at war and should never have turned away Tyreese and his group. It's a mistake that may very well cost you dearly.

COOLEST SCENE: Though visually it doesn't amount to much, psychologically it speaks volumes. Andrea's rough welcome upon returning to the prison. It's easy to forget how long she's been away and how much info she's not privy too at this point (like Shane), but the group has changed and it becomes brutally obvious to her that she's no longer welcome.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: Will Andrea betray the group? Is Merle a mole? Will the addition of Tyreese and his crew be Rick's undoing? So many questions.

11:09AM on 02/27/2013
This episode is kinda slow comparing to other episodes in this season. However, by the end of this episode, it just ends with a lot of potential bang. Can't wait for the next episode.

8:54PM on 02/26/2013
I'm kind of thinking,and this is nothing but conjecture on my part , that Tyrese in his good nature is going to let slip to the Gov the other way into the prison. I tend to think the finale will have the Gov's troops invading the prison and mowing down much of Rick's group causing Rick, Carl and whomever is left to flee.

3:06PM on 02/26/2013
Kill the Governor and take over Woodbury, it'll be messy but you'll all feel better after a nice hot shower.

12:58AM on 02/26/2013
With Merle newly turned good (ish), I'm almost glad Tyreese and his people went to Woodbury. Sure we see them ready to fight Rick, but that doesn't mean they won't discover what a crazy place they've wandered into and have a change of heart.

6:56PM on 02/25/2013
Tyreese and his group seem a little too eager to wipe out Rick and those at the prison. I know Rick freaked out, but I'd hoped to see at least a bit of hesitation from Tyreese himself. That should be an interesting turn of events.

4:56PM on 02/25/2013
At least in the chaos it looks as though they've accepted Michonne. It's a start.

1:47PM on 02/25/2013

For those that have read spoilers about next week...

I am SO ready for this reunion.
I am SO ready for this reunion.

1:45PM on 02/25/2013

For those that have read spoilers about next week...

I am SO ready for this reunion.
I am SO ready for this reunion.

1:43PM on 02/25/2013
I was 100% expecting the Gov to 'wake up' and stab Andrea right at the end there. Next week's episode looks awesome

11:51AM on 02/25/2013
You're right, this one was a building block and by the looks of things it feels like someone's going to die next week.

9:21AM on 02/25/2013
I think next week is going to be pivotal, this week was slow and seemed to be building the plot for next week I really hope they deliver.

Monk, Sophie