Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 12 / March 3, 2013)

Mar. 4, 2013by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 12: Clear

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (The following column contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode). I knew tonight's episode was going to be something big, and what's bigger than a reunion with the man who saved Rick's life and set this whole fiasco into motion, Morgan. I've been wondering about Morgan lately, especially after playing the five Walking Dead game episodes on Xbox. I hoped we'd see Morgan again, as I hope to someday see them introduce some of the characters from the game (which featured a Glenn cameo). As much as I'd hoped Morgan and his son would be alive and ready to join the group, deep down I knew that's just not how the world works anymore.

Another reason I mentioned the Walking Dead game is because Morgan's lair looks and feels a lot like a place the survivors of the game encounter, with walkers impaled upon spikes and caught in booby traps. It's like watching an dark adult themed version of HOME ALONE--the welcome mat was an especially nice touch. Morgan looks like he has it all figured out, tactically anyway, but it's heartbreaking to learn about his son. He and Rick's talk was well done and pulled at every one of my heartstrings. This is the moment we've been waiting for that'll snap Rick out of his crazy spell. He doesn't want to become as detached as Morgan and I don't believe he will. I'd also like to think we'll see more of Morgan in the future, once he's had time to let this all sink in. At least I hope so.

Carl's hunt for baby stuff is also a cool avenue, especially because you can tell there's more to it than that just by looking at him. It was a surreal moment when he looked at that map and saw his neighbourhood and house, but finding out the true purpose behind his excursion was also quite moving. The picture was a welcome dynamic, because again, it's good to see Carl is still connected on an emotional level, but cooler still was the fact the Carl and Michonne both tested one another and bonded over the affair. I've been waiting for her to get welcomed into the group, so when Carl actually says to Rick, "I think she's one of us," my smile was ear to ear. Rick even jokes around with her after she opens up to him and pretty much says, don't worry, we're all a little crazy these days. The reunion with Morgan was interesting, but it was the mending of fences with Michonne that ruled the day.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's twelfth episode brought us back full circle to the beginning of the series and showed us just how much things have changed. The opening scene with the hitchhiker went as I figured it would, they didn't stop for him and nobody said shit. Poor bastard. I knew he'd play some sort of roll here or why in hell show him? Their drive out, past his torn up body was a slap in the face, and not just because they stop and pick up his backpack (all I could hear in my head was Dave Chappelle saying "that was...coldblooded", but hey, supplies are supplies. It was a slap in the face because it's then we realize that THIS is what its come to, this is what the world has become. It's a bit gloomy, but after all these characters have seen, I can't exactly blame them. Oh, and congrats Daryl, you got a new crossbow brother. Yay! I love happy endings.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: Rats are a great distraction, but nothing does the deed better than a sword through the skull. Michonne 1, Rats 0.

BLOOD AND GORE: We get walker deaths via blades and booby traps, but I really wanted to see more hacking and slashing...and someone fall down the welcome mat pit. Yes, I'm sick.

WHOSE HEAD BELONGS IN THE GOV'S FISHTANK: Morgan. I know he's been made to suffer, more than any one man/father/husband should have to, but all that ingenuity should be put to practical use and joining Rick and his crew would be doing just that. It would take time, but Rick was willing to help the guy heal, and how often would you get the chance to reunite with someone you actually knew in that world? Again, I hope he comes around.

COOLEST SCENE: The coolest scene by far is when Rick breaks through Morgan's line of crazy and has a straightforward talk. It's not sunshine and rainbows, but this is one hell of emotional scene and you know we were all tearing up when we heard it.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: What do you guys think, was this a sour Morgan reunion that's meant to be a "here's what happened to him", or will he be back and perhaps play a vital role in the group's future?

9:26AM on 03/05/2013
I agree with everything you've said, this was Rick's wake-up call and it's not a pretty one. I think he know realizes how important the leader role is and how much the group needs him to keep his shit together.

12:21PM on 03/05/2013
And I think, too, how much HE needs the group. Otherwise he's one step away from becoming the same thing.
8:34AM on 03/05/2013
I really like this episode. I feel Rick has found some closure he's been looking for. The private moment between Carl and Michonne is really sweet, especially when she's holding that colorful cat. It's just so sweet.

4:02AM on 03/05/2013
This was honestly one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. There have been many moments of shock and awe throughout, but I think this is the first time that I felt a genuine chill and sense of dread in the series. A lot of things are expected, and despite having read the comics and knowing the set up to the story, seeing Morgan in his state and the way he now relates to Rick was chilling. There's just something depressing and off putting about Rick confronting what seems like a past from so long ago and how much it's changed. It's one thing to see the state of the rest of the world. But to come back to what was once your own home and back to people you once knew and to see both changed to a state that's almost worse than death is more disheartening and horrific than I think anything else they've shown. And to top it all off, the whole thing with the hitchhiker. You know what's coming, but even so, when you see it, it sense a chill down the spine. I don't think I'm going to forget the final moments of this episode for a long time.

9:27AM on 03/05/2013
The whole hitchhiker thing is a haunting metaphor to how grim things have become. A very powerful scene indeed.
9:27AM on 03/05/2013
11:24PM on 03/04/2013
My favorite part was when Michonne ate Morgan's food. "The mat said 'welcome'." Awesome.

6:42PM on 03/04/2013
I may, or may not have, balled my eyes out when Morgan told the story about what happened to his son.

2:30PM on 03/04/2013
Michonne was the perfect choice to join Rick and Carl and it couldn't have worked out better. Sad to see Morgan so lost. I hope he does come back.

2:03PM on 03/04/2013
I have a feeling Morgan will appear again probably before season's end. The Rick/Michonne bit of eating Morgans food was just too hilarious. Yes was very glad to see Michonne and Carl bond. We got to see a different side of her character finally and it was a welcome one.

9:57AM on 03/04/2013
That is a sweet new crossbow isn't it.
That is a sweet new crossbow isn't it.

9:48AM on 03/04/2013
This isn't the end of Morgan, it's a little too elaborate a setup to just never see him again.

3:58AM on 03/05/2013
I don't know, I think it might have been a way for them to close the story. You could be right, but it could also simply have been a way to put Morgan's story to rest. They re-introduce Morgan in a similar way in the comics and it end completely differently, so I'm not sure they will come back to Morgan. I think that final image we see of him at the pile of bodies with Rick and company leaving was sort of a sign off on that story.

Palvin, Barbara