Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 4 / November 4, 2012)

Nov. 5, 2012by: J.A. Hamilton
100%

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 4: Killer Within

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (THE FOLLOWING COLUMN CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched the episode). Where to begin. Usually shit doesn't hit the fan until later on in the season but tonight was wall to wall chaos. On the lighter end of things Michonne can't wait to get out of the Governor's pocket, while Andrea seems ready to get into the guy's pants. I'm thinking Michonne should just leave her there and be done with her, but clearly there's more to their eight month sojourn together than we know. Michonne's loyalty looks to have a steep price, but having said that, it's admirable considering she knows Andrea's no doubt still naive to the way of the new world. I find it all exciting because it's new territory that totally contradicts the comics, but in a good way.

My question about the Governor's daughter appears to have been answered tonight as the Governor refers to her as still being around. He and Merle have an interesting conversation about finding Daryl--again, treading a new path away from the comics--and it feels like a brooding build-up to what I hope will be a cool climax with these characters. Poor T-Dog. Sigh. Just when things were looking up for him, they're not. On the bright side, he had a great run for a character that didn't exist until the show. His demise is one of many casualties that results from Rick's clusterfuck decision to leave Andrew (the prisoner he locked out in the yard with walkers) alive and assume he'd be killed. These decisions are hard to make, but he's the leader and should be eating hard truths for breakfast each morning.

Now I know everyone hated Lori for being a bitchy, two timing slut bag, but she was beginning to redeem herself which makes her end--via the most gruesome baby delivering scene I've ever seen--hard to watch. I won't lie to you, I had tears in my eyes. For me, it was that flashback Carl had of Rick telling him it was time to put childish things away. This was another 180 from the comics, but one that ultimately works better for me. Lori and the baby don't survive in the comics either, but their end comes in a different way that looks to not exist within the realm of the show (I'm thinking they were hesitant to have the baby die now, or maybe at all). It all ties into the Governor's storyline which is different, but in the comics it's sudden and there's no words exchanged between her and Carl which creates a whirlwind of guilt for the poor kid. At least here, mother and son say goodbye and share a moment. It's a gut-wrenching moment of pure sorrow, but that's better than nothing at all.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's fourth episode is a no holds barred emotional punch to the nuts Johnny Cage style. It feels like the episode you see before the finale or before a mid-season hiatus, but no, it's right here, right now and right in our faces. It's hard to imagine where they'll go from here, but rest assured, there's still loads of dark fun to stoke the fire. The final scene is hard enough to watch as Carl takes care of Lori, but when he and Maggie come out with the baby and Rick suddenly realizes what's happened, man, let's just say that these actors know how to pull off stellar performances. Everything tonight, from the grizzly detailed deaths, to the heart-pounding aftermath were flawlessly executed and deserves a standing ovation of praise. This show has without a doubt become one of television's finest hours.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: She wasn't a zombie yet, but knowing that Lori would turn is what makes Carl put a bullet in her head. It's terrible, but worthy of the title.

BLOOD AND GORE: Tonight's jam packed with walkers and everybody that dies, dies bloody. It's a lot to take as our heroes suffer loss and tragedy.

MOST ANNOYING CHARACTER: Andrea. Again. The expression "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" is around for a reason and would go five kinds of double in a post apocalyptic world overrun by zombies. Wake the hell up Andrea. I don't think the Governor is dating material.

COOLEST SCENE: Personally, I loved the scene with Michonne and the Governor. She knows he's a phoney and he knows that she knows he's a phoney. And the tension continues to build.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: Rick goes a little loco in the comics after Lori's death. He carries around an unplugged telephone which sometimes rings and has Lori talking to him on the other end.

5:02PM on 11/06/2012
Andrew Lincoln was mesmerizing and has sold this show from the very start as Rick. His humanity has been a roller coaster and this season has pushed him so close to the edge you have to wonder just how much farther he can go without falling over. This is TV finest hour.

1:21AM on 11/06/2012

Great

Super Great Episode.
But did anybody not see the "birth" of Tyrese, or the person who could be Tyrese but name has not been said ye(the other prisioner)t
Super Great Episode.

9:51PM on 11/05/2012
The best episode of the series to date bar none. Andrew Lincoln was just mesmerizing at the end. Such powerful emotion he emanated. They need to throw awards at him, he has really been exceptional this season.

8:22PM on 11/05/2012
Andrew Lincoln's best performance yet. The last scene of this episode is just heartbreaking. I'm glad that so far this season has the right balance of action and drama.

7:27PM on 11/05/2012
What I absolutely loved about this episode was that it reinforced the series (both the comics and the shows) primarily message: in this future, no one is safe. The flashback to Rick talking to Carl was perfect because, it not only meant something to Carl, but to us viewers as well. The prison is, for the most part, as safe haven in the comics. But the show reminded us with this episode that there is no safe haven, nor is there any time that can't descend into chaos. It certainly happened faster than I thought it would and I enjoyed the change from the books. On the other hand, I thought the stuff with The Governor wasn't as interesting. It was repetitive and uneventful. We already know Michonne and Andrea intend to leave. There was pretty much no development in Woodbury the entire episode and it was just a repeat of what we already know, minus the stuff about The Governors daughter and the fact his name is Phillip. I'm glad it appears they are sticking with the daughter aspects of the comic, but I get the feeling that The Governor storyline is going to move slowly this first half of the season, and come the second half we will really see some blood fly.

6:31PM on 11/05/2012

Wow

This seires is really stepping up its game this season and its nice to see Carl becoming more like his comic counterpart. MY only question is, is there only allowed to be one black guy in the group at the time? should of see t-dogs death coming he actually had several lines this episode

3:22PM on 11/05/2012
Fantastic episode.
Gotta say though I thought kill of the week has to be given to Glen for slicing the zombie's head in half.
Fantastic episode.

2:26PM on 11/05/2012
R.I.P T-Dog. It's a shame, like you said, he was just coming into his own this season. Awesome episode nonetheless.

12:18PM on 11/05/2012
That was the most emotional TV hour of my life. Damn.
That was the most emotional TV hour of my life. Damn.

Terell, Taryn