Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 6 / November 18, 2012)

Nov. 19, 2012by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 6: Hounded

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (The following column contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode). Poor Rick. Sure, many of the survivors have lost people, but the stress and responsibility on the shoulders of a leader--especially a former cop with a conscience--makes for a greater snap when things go wrong. Not that Rick's a stranger to pressure, I mean hell, waking up from a coma RESIDENT EVIL style would be enough to break most people and that was just the first episode. I was confused when I heard the voice on the other end of the phone and she started talking about this "safe place" her and her group were all at. It wasn't Lori, and then it was a dude, but before I let myself believe it actually was another group I considered the irony of the situation. The last place a group of survivors would call--for any reason--would be a prison. "Hello? Yes, could I please speak with someone who isn't a murderer, rapist or pedophile? Oh, you're none of those? Good, would you like to join our group?"

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw Merle and his ragtag group of four hunting Michonne. It felt like an old episode of STAR TREK with Merle as Captain Kirk beaming down to a strange planet with three nameless officers. It didn't take much to figure out what was going to happen there. I loved that they decided to revisit the theory behind the "GUTS" episode with Michonne as she of all people could make perfect use of this tactic. One of you brought up last week that Merle seems like he's been toned down and I agree. He was very racist and backyard hillbillyish before, but somehow feels more reserved these days. Alone with his ragtag group would've been a great opportunity to see the old Merle, but he didn't revert back out of the Governor's sight so I'm assuming AMC just decided to tone him down simply because of the all the use they're getting out of the character. I'm cool with that, just so long as the endgame storyline is worth it. PS: Rooker seems to be having a blast.

There were two things that annoyed the bejesus out of me tonight. One, I'm not feeling this whole subplot with Andrea and the Governor hooking up. Seriously, it's pointless, especially if you follow the comics and see where Andrea's journey takes her. Yes, they may change that, but if they don't, this just feels ridiculous and a bit like a slap in the face. I did however enjoy Andrea's dive off the wall to jack a walker after the chick with the bow (yeah, you were ready for the Olympics alright) makes a damn fool of herself. If that's the kind of people he's got manning the wall I'm amazed they haven't been overrun. The second thing was the whole Carol situation. Three words: Waste of time. I'll admit that I'm not particularly fond of Carol to begin with, but come on people, her disappearance just felt like filler and there's more than enough cool shit happening right now to need filler.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's sixth episode is still dragging ass on the Governor front, but that's all about to change now that they've nabbed Glen and Maggie. I'm a little worried for Maggie at this point because this storyline feels awfully similar to Michonne's storyline in the comics. If that's the case, Mags could be in for some rough times. I'm thinking they'll shy away from that as it involves the Governor and would hurt the image they have of him thus far. That said, I'm not too happy with this image. Everyone at AMC was boasting about how they didn't tone the Governor down at all, but trust me, they have. There sure as hell isn't a love triangle of any kind in the comics with the Gov. Now I love that they've given him more humanity here, but damn if I'm not one who thoroughly enjoys an over the top villain. My fingers are crossed that his inner evil is yet to be revealed.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: Michonne takes out walkers and bad guys, but the spilling of entrails that eventually lead to camouflage wins the day.

BLOOD AND GORE: Not as much as we've been seeing, but there's still limbs and heads a flying.

MOST ANNOYING CHARACTER: Carol. Why? Because she didn't die dammit.

COOLEST SCENE: Daryl and Carl share a moment in the prison as they're clearing out walkers. Daryl explains his mother's tragic death and Carl tell him that he's the one who put a bullet in Lori's head. I found this moving and cool.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: FINALLY, Michonne joins the group. Love it.

Related Articles

3:43PM on 11/20/2012
I liked this episode a lot mainly due to Michonne finally getting the hell outta there. The guts shout out was sick and I can't wait to see what happens once the news of another place with survivors hit's Rick's table.

3:42PM on 11/20/2012

2:08PM on 11/20/2012

Spoilers

I Didn't read the article because I'm still two episodes behind. But please for next time, don't put a character who people thought was dead as the main image on the front page of Joblo. The image of Merle dissapoints me after you guys ran an article not 2 months ago about how spoilers are a big problem with this industry. I understand that movie sites are all about that stuff and I do dable in finding stuff out ahead of time but please for next time try to have a little more tact, J.A. Hamilton. Cool?

3:38PM on 11/20/2012
Ummm, not cool actually. If you're only two episodes behind, you've seen Merle as he's been present since episode 3 and this was episode 6. Not to mention the fact that Merle being back has been splashed all over the net (here especially) for months now so him being alive is far from spoiler territory.
3:42PM on 11/20/2012
Merle's been around since the third episode, where've you been?
Merle's been around since the third episode, where've you been?
8:42PM on 11/19/2012
One question I have is they never explained why they we're going after Michonne. I got the feeling that Woodbury is a town that once your in you dont leave, but that was all implied very subtly nothing ever overtly explained. Then the episode starts with them hunting her down. I would have liked some on-screen explanation for going after her. Yes Merle's lie is going to bite him seriously in the ass down the road. The best scene of the night was definitely the Daryl and Carl scene, was awesome to see Daryl show more of his humanity. Daryl is quickly becoming the best character on the show. I have a feeling that Andrea is going to take a nasty turn for the dark side, maybe Maggie will be on the receiving end of said turn. As for the Gov, Ive been hearing about how he is such a sadistic, evil, brutal fuck in the comics but haven't seen any of that yet. I, also, have been disappointed in him thus far. Although the mid-season break might see him unleash his psychotic side.

10:00PM on 11/19/2012
Yea, I thought it was kinda silly that it started with them just chasing her. But yea, I think we were supposed to assume that its a town no one leaves, with the constant "nobody goes over the wall" lines and stuff. And the fear that Michonne knows that the Governor is up to no good, she could bring back others (which she will now), thus wanting her dead.
4:51PM on 11/19/2012
Solid episode yet again, and this was a good read. Agreed about the Carol thing being a wasted suplot; I knew it was going to be a lot of mystery over nothing. And hold out hope for the Governor and his "inner evil" getting unleashed big time. You saw what this guy enjoys behind closed doors. I like that for the show, they have made the character someone who might seem trustworthy and down-to-Earth. As opposed to the clear nature of the character in the graphic novels. Anyway, I am liking the Woodbury plot, and I think it holds some big potential.

4:05PM on 11/19/2012
Rick is basically at a breaking point. I still think he will become a full on killer.

2:47PM on 11/19/2012
R.I.P. Evil Glenn
R.I.P. Evil Glenn

1:21PM on 11/19/2012
That lie Merle hands to the Governor about Michonne is gonna come back to bite him in the ass.

12:15PM on 11/19/2012
Andrea is still the most annoying character to me. They give her way too much screen time compared to all the other second-tier characters. I'm sure it's to create some dynamic where she ultimately has to pick between the Governor and her old friends. Never read the comics, but from what I continue to read, they're not afraid to trail away from the path

11:51AM on 11/19/2012

Totally missed it...

Loved the episode and where they're going with the show. However, after Herschal and Rick's talk (and H picking up the phone) - was totally waiting for a scene where he gets back and tells the group that Rick is taking calls from a phone that doesn't work. Damn. :)

Dusku, Eliza