Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (S4 Episode 1 / October 13, 2013)

Oct. 14, 2013by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 1: 30 Days Without an Incident

THE HOOK: In the wake of the war with Woodbury, Rick and his group have turned the prison into a working community, but danger continues to stir on the outside as well as from within.

The following contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode

THE LOWDOWN:Last season was a little disappointing. From the Governors watered down evil, ridiculous character decisions, to a very anti-climactic final showdown, I just expected more at this point. That said, the trailers for this season looked great (but then again, they always do), but I didnt go in expecting much. The good news is, the premiere re-invigorated my enthusiasm for this show. Walking the line between being exciting and getting redundant cant be easy, but I immediately dug the change of pace around the prison. Theres a real sense of community now. Theyre farming crops, they have horses and pigs, and best of all, people are actually smiling on occasion. Sure, we all know it cant last, this IS the Walking Dead after all, but its cool to see people joking around and reading comics (the latter being a nice touch). But even then, as Rick looks out at the walkers hoarding around the fence in the opening moments, you can feel the inevitable dread circling like a hungry vulture.

On the plus side, I dug the forming of a council. They had one in the comics and it makes sense that theyd eventually go that route. Daryls stepped up and the community loves him (we all do too), but that was pretty much a given. But even though things have calmed down a bit, I couldnt understand why Rick would ever risk it outside the perimeter without his gun. Come on man, didnt you watch TRUE ROMANCE? Its better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it. Ricks chance meeting in the woods took me by surprise for more reasons than one. He couldnt have been that far from the prison, yet this Clara chick (who looks to have been camping out there for a while now) didnt know they were there? Just seems a little odd to me, considering all the recon shes doing in the area. I had a bad feeling about her from the beginning. She kept talking about Eddie, and how shed be dead without him, yet I couldnt help but think hed be out there with her if he was able. She doesnt look very imposing, and if it were just the two of them, I just didnt buy her walking around alone. I knew it wouldnt end well, but damn, poor Rick, how many more hits can his moral compass take?

One of the things I didnt like was how Michonne has become a lone wolf/ranger who apparently comes and goes for days on end. I get that the Governor is unfinished business for her, and I didnt expect her to just give him a pass (especially after Andrea), but I would hope that shes not fool enough to go after the guy by herself. That feels like a group endeavor to me, or at least have a couple others for backup. I loved seeing Kyle Gallner (who played Flash in SMALLVILLE) added to the mix, but define ironythe Flash, known for being one of the fastest dudes on the planet, gets eaten by zombies. Priceless. Another new addition, Larry Gilliard Jr. (DAngelo Barksdale from THE WIRE) is also a welcome sight. Im thinking he may be a recovering alcoholic by the looks of things, but seeing as how the drink almost killed him (literally), hell probably never look at the stuff again. Being caught in a storm of zombies falling from the sky will do that to a person. What a cool scene though, very well done.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 4's premiere doesnt just explode with violence and danger, but its not a monotonous trek through the forest looking for Sofia either. Im digging the pace. Theres a sense of safety, but its laced with secrets. Theres been a moral evolution for the better, yet we still have children naming walkers like theyre pets, Carol teaching kids to use weapons (loved it), and lest we forget, our boy Patrick suddenly keeling over in the shower and turning (was his death and pigs linked to the same thing?). And thats the one thing I dislike about the TV showthe fact that everyones infected. Im sure you all have your own view on this, but I hate it. It makes everything feel like its for nothing. Case in point, say they kill off all the walkers, outlast them, or whatever. Great! But then poor Hershel (congrats on the new prosthetic leg) has a heart attack in the middle of the night and dies. Oops. Now hes a walker, and bites two or three people before everyone figures it all out. Maybe they contain the situation, maybe they dont. Same thing will happen with Patrick. The point is, theyll never be safe and thats a bit of kick to the junk. Something may change down the road, but for now, it sure does make things look painfully bleak. That aside, Im excited for the new season and look forward to the inevitable emotional roller coaster ride.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: DAngelo Barksdale ripping into a walkers head with his fingers while pinned under a rack of booze. Win.

BLOOD AND GORE: The walkers look fantastic this season and theres lots of bloody goodness to go around. Theres fence face stabbing, a crazy warehouse battle with walkers falling through the roof and peeps being peeled and eaten. Good times.

WTF CHARACTER MOMENT: Beth. I love Beth, and to her credit, shes had a hard go. Seeing her transform from the groups ray of hope last season, to an emotionless shell this season is a bitter pill to swallow. Cant say I blame her, but its a damn shame.

COOLEST SCENE: For me, it was Ricks wakeup call in the woods with Clara and Eddies head. I loved the awkward walk back to her camp. I loved the three questions. I loved the emotion. Well done. A close second was Zach trying to guess what Daryl did in the old world. Homicide cop. Hilarious.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: I dont remember Tyreese being such a bitch in the comics.

3:17PM on 10/14/2013
Feels like a solid season, and with the addition of familiar characters its no doubt good we're getting more treat. Gotta thin the herd. Tyreese is acting like a bit of a bitch, but they're intentionally writing him that way. From the trailers it looks like he's in for a wake up call himself. His sister must die, or that woman he's now seeing, and it'll no doubt send him into a tailspin that effects everyone at some point.

5:55PM on 10/14/2013
I agree. I have read the comics up to about issue 95 or 100 and I can see where they might be taking Tyreese as a character. I also have an idea about what they might be doing with Bob Stookey (Lawrence Gilliard Jr). I am excited to see what they have in store for us this season.
11:53AM on 10/14/2013
I really liked the episode. To me, it felt very much like coming out of the comic. There was a lull during the prison period there too and it was somewhat pleasant. I also have no issue with the fact that they aren't safe because they really aren't....ever. They can certainly try to be, but especially now, early on, they won't be, even in their makeshift community. I think the whole deal with the kid dying is kind of interesting, though it has my curiosity more than anything. It was awfully sudden and he died awfully fast. I can only hope that it was something personal with him and not something like infected food or water. I also hope that The Governor's return is glorious. Because he's not done yet and I am really hoping that they do mimic the comics this season. My guess would be a season finale like that.

11:20AM on 10/14/2013
Hmmm, pig has a mystery illness. Whatever we do, lets not consult our resident one-legged farmer/veterinarian.

3:17PM on 10/14/2013
Touche.
Touche.
10:53AM on 10/14/2013
Cool episode, but like you, I'm still not sold. At least they upped the ante and danger with the zombies and this new edge to the disease is interesting, but I still feel they have to try double hard in light of last season.

10:18AM on 10/14/2013

Still concerned...

Loved the return...but Daryl licking his fingers and shaking Harry Potter's hand at the beginning...only to see him get sick and die is troubling...

9:53AM on 10/14/2013
So happy it's back! Everyone being infected is not really that big of a deal. It'd just be the new normal, instead of embalming a body, now they destroy the brain. Big whoop. I am also wondering if we are going to get the "serial killer" storyline this season since we didn't get it last season. Sure it was an inmate in the comics but now that they have so many people there, it could be an intense creepiness of having no idea who it could be.

5:58PM on 10/14/2013
I could see that and for a second I thought that might have been what they were playing at with Patrick.
6:41AM on 10/14/2013
Not to nitpick, didn't Daryl kill the zombie for the week not the Barksdale kid, he was in the head but Daryl did his best American History X impersenation. Awesome episode just the same, loved the walker guts hanging out

10:54AM on 10/14/2013
Looked like a team effort to me ;)
Looked like a team effort to me ;)
2:37AM on 10/14/2013
I think the disease does a number on the prison population pretty quickly. It's something, looks like, living and the dead get from the pigs. Notice the zombie with the bleeding eyes, and then poor Patrick had the same thing. I thought it was a great premier. Nice to see Carl have some of his humanity back, and I think Rick may have gotten a bit complacent with his surroundings, hence the no gun carrying. Lots of teasers thrown around, the new black guy, forget hid name, is giving off a creepy vibe and of course The Gov is still lurking about.

6:00PM on 10/14/2013
Rick is complacent and that is kind of what he does in the comics as well. As we know it doesn't work well for him.

Cassidy, Katie