Platinum Dunes Halloween 3D pitch reel surfaces

Sep. 19, 2012by: Ike Oden

You remember back when Platinum Dunes was courting the Dimension to make HALLOWEEN 3D? Nothing ever came of it (besides a plea of sanity from our own Ammon Gilbert) and everyone assumed Michael Bay’s production company was dropped from the project like their predecessors (DRIVE ANGRY'S Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer). Well, it turns out that assumption was correct as production artwork and pitch animatics have been released by the man who was lobbying for the director’s chair.

Let it be known I mostly dislike Platinum Dunes productions before I geek out over this pre-production package. Said work is from Federico D’Alessandro, Marvel Studio's head storyboard artist and award winning short filmmaker. D'Alessandro was courting HALLOWEEN 3D and getting great feedback from all parties until talks fell through between Platinum Dunes and Dimension. D'Alessandro has released his HALLOWEEN 3D pitch animatic and concept art to give fans an understanding of what they’re missing out on:

"With Halloween being re-released to theaters soon, and October coming up, I’m hoping that readers could get a kick out of seeing a horror themed pitch animatic for a major property."

You can check the images and animatic below. In my opinion the video looks to be what HALLOWEEN fans have been clamoring for since HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Really, this is Michael Myers the way he’s meant to be: evil, kill happy and more than a little sadistic. People often forget that one of the attributes that separates The Shape from Jason and Leatherface is a subtle, often prank-like approach to his killing and I like that D’Alessandro taps into that here. It’s the most chilling animated and voice acted storyboard montage you’re likely to see. Give it a go and talk back with your opinion below...

Extra Tidbit: If I absolutely need an excuse to tack a photo of Kristina Klebe onto this article, let it be known she gave a fun/sexy performance in Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN.

Related Articles

12:11PM on 09/21/2012

Yes, Yes

A thousand times yes. Why is this not on a fast track right now?
A thousand times yes. Why is this not on a fast track right now?

10:11PM on 09/19/2012
This looks so badass! That video alone is better than all of the HALLOWEEN sequels.

4:03PM on 09/19/2012
I want the movie of this NOW!!!! This was and is the Halloween i've been waiting for. I don't detest Zombie's vision - at least he attempted to be different. It just wasn't a Halloween movie. THIS was a Halloween movie and a very sore missed opportunity IMO. It was awesome. Heck I'd be happy if this guy produced a feature length animatic of what he wanted. If it's half as good as that I'd be gripped all through it! Good work Sir!

2:58PM on 09/19/2012
I got so sucked in, I kind of forgot it was an animatic. Someone needs to get their shit together and give D'Alessandro the reigns to this franchise. I want more.

Tidbit: I like the Zombie version of Halloween less and less every time I watch it. The sequel is especially awful, as he manages to make every single character in the film completely unlikable.

2:51PM on 09/19/2012

Scary

That was cool. The pacing and POV built tension and horror.
That was cool. The pacing and POV built tension and horror.

12:15PM on 09/19/2012
Okay, I need this movie now!
Okay, I need this movie now!

11:41AM on 09/19/2012

multiple post - sorry

now if only my comments could stay simple and effective
now if only my comments could stay simple and effective

11:40AM on 09/19/2012

fantastic

never understood why they couldnt keep the majority of halloween sequels simple and effective. no weird mythical back story, just clever kills and sense of dread.

11:12AM on 09/19/2012
someone needs to be smacked in the friggen head for letting this guy go from directing the next Halloween!
That animatic was awesome, and call me chicken or whathaveyou, but it made me jump twice.
not very many things do that to me, but this was aces.
not very many things do that to me, but this was aces.

11:01AM on 09/19/2012