Platinum Dunes to partner with Paramount for Friday the 13th sequel

Jun. 12, 2013by: Kevin Woods

Fans of the FRIDAY THE 13th series have had a lot to get excited about lately with the recent news that the franchise rights have gone back to Paramount and yesterday's announcement of the FRIDAY THE 13th: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION boxed set. This morning we have another bit of news regarding our favorite hockey mask-wearing madman and the potential to see him onscreen again in the near future. Read on!

Bloody Disgusting caught up with Derek Mears at the HATCHET III premiere and got some insight into what could be coming our way from the F13 camp. They had this to say about a sequel to the 2009 remake:

"Our own Evan Dickson interviewed Derek Mears (Jason Voorhees in the 2009 remake) who stated that “…[Paramount] wants [a new Friday The 13th movie] as fast as possible.” But even more important is that he stated that Platinum Dunes, the production company behind the 2009 remake, is partnering with Paramount for the sequel to Friday The 13th!"

Let's hope this isn't just lip service, telling the fans what they want to hear. If you're anything like us, you're missing seeing Jason Voorhees on the big-screen and would welcome a return in almost any way we could get it. We'll keep you posted on news regarding a future FRIDAY THE 13th sequel as we hear it.

Extra Tidbit: Would you like to see a sequel to 2009's remake, or would you want to see the franchise go in another direction?

4:34AM on 09/16/2013
First off some unrelated news. My cousin's name is Kevin Woods. What's up cuz? :) I would welcome a sequel to Platinum Dunes film. I enjoyed their effort, even though it might not have been as good as some of the 80's versions. It was definitely better than that stupid Jason Takes Manhattan! That was a good idea, but handled poorly. You could possibly take Jason out of Crystal Lake, but it would have to be done right. It seems every effort to take him away from there hasn't ended well.

1:55PM on 06/13/2013

Series needs to die or be taken in a new direction.

It needs to go back to its roots. Michael Bay needs to stay far away.

I want a 2 hour long movie, the winter setting is an idea I was thinking of as well. You can't do much with this series, as it has all already been done before. The last movie had Jason as a stupid underground dweller. He needs to be less explained and more supernatural. Make it a follow up to Freddy vs. Jason. Not a FvJ2 but that Jason was badass.
It needs to go back to its roots. Michael Bay needs to stay far away.

4:51AM on 06/13/2013
As a lifelong F13 fan I thought the last Jason movie sucked pretty hard, so I'm not at all excited Platinum Dunes is teaming up with Paramount for the new one. Hopefully they will go in a new direction if this thing has to be made.

9:14PM on 06/12/2013

dunno

Dunno, I think everything is being rushed ...... When things are rushed like that normally the result is crap..

8:38AM on 06/12/2013

I would love...

...to see a Friday the 13th set around the winter. I had a concept involving that which revolved around someone purchasing Camp Crystal Lake and beginning the work on rebuilding the cabins and everything. Jason, not liking that his "home" is being destroyed goes on the offensive. Of course nearby would be a group of kids who are stranded that see empty cabins and decide it's the safest place to stay.

7:59AM on 06/12/2013
ET: Paramount and Platinum could do both a sequel and a new approach in the next Friday the 13th. The plot could continue the story told in 2009; however, the film-makers could do an interesting hook such as the series has in Part 7 (telekinesis), Part 11 (vs. Freddy), Parts 5 (Jason isn't the killer), Part 10 (in space). Please no zombies, vampires, or found-footage, however. A Jason vs. Bigfoot movie might be okay. Or, a Friday the 13th could happen during the dead of winter. That plot is often proposed.
Also, the current Jason could be the son of the Jason in the original series if that plot is possible.

Day, Felicia