Prometheus viral video hits! Guy Pearce's Peter Weyland wants to change the world

02.28.2012by: Eric Walkuski
100%

Interesting timing, this...

Yesterday we read some words from Sir Ridley Scott about the role Guy Pearce plays in the upcoming sci-fi epic PROMETHEUS. Turns out Pearce is playing Peter Weyland, head of the nefarious corporation Weyland-Yutani and owner of the titular ship. Yep, the original company man.

Well, today brings a little speech from Mr. Weyland from the year 2023. At a fictional TED conference (TED stands for "Technology, Entertainment, Design"; it's a real conference that participated in this viral video), Weyland introduces himself to a gigantic crowd and talks a little about where he believes technology is headed... and what it's like to be a god.

The site this video originates from also offers a bit of info on Weyland:

Sir Peter Weyland was born in Mumbai, India at the turn of the Millennium. The progeny of two brilliant parents; His mother, an Oxford Educated Professor of Comparative Mythology, his father, a self-taught software Engineer, it was clear from an early age that Sir Peter’s capabilities would only be eclipsed by his ambition to realize them. By the age of fourteen, he had already registered a dozen patents in a wide range of fields from biotech to robotics, but it would be his dynamic break-throughs in generating synthetic atmosphere above the polar ice cap that gained him worldwide recognition and spawned an empire.

In less than a decade, Weyland Corporation became a worldwide leader in emerging technologies and launched the first privatized industrial mission to leave the planet Earth. “There are other worlds than this one,” Sir Peter boldly declared, “And if there is no air to breathe, we will simply have to make it.

In addition to the video, you can read an interview with Damon Lindelof, who conceived the viral vid with Ridley Scott, right HERE . Here's a sample of what Lindelof had to say about writing the speech:

"In really, really good science fiction the line between the science and the fiction is blurry. When I started attending TED, that line got even blurrier — I started hearing about ideas that were, in my own imagination, more far out than some of the science fiction I was seeing.

Prometheus takes place in the future, but it’s a movie about ideas, and I just felt like it would be really cool to have one of the characters from the movie give a TEDTalk. Obviously, since the movie is set in the distant future, it would have to be a little more contemporary. But wouldn’t it be cool if it was a TED talk from a decade in the future? And what is a TEDTalk going to look like in 10 years? And what would this guy have to say?"

Extra Tidbit: The video was directed by Luke Scott - Ridley's son!
Source: TED

9:32AM on 02/29/2012

speech pattern

In a weird way, I thought he was channeling John Hurt's speech pattern ;)
In a weird way, I thought he was channeling John Hurt's speech pattern ;)

7:47PM on 02/28/2012
I think what we are leaning towards is the revelation that on the journey to create the Bishop android they accidentally built the alien species, or it somehow evolved from it. Make's Bishop in Aliens a lot more interesting. And it's SUPER INTERESTING because even if that's not the way it plays out and Pearce is simply channeling Bishop, Bishop is a James Cameron creation, he was not in Scott's Alien.

6:02PM on 02/28/2012
Correction, him and droid from original Alien movie share same speech pattern.
Correction, him and droid from original Alien movie share same speech pattern.

5:53PM on 02/28/2012
And THERE you have the Alien connection. He is a relative of Bishop Weyland (Lance Henrickson) and the accent is spot on. For a moment thought he was channeling Bishop. Possibly father or great grandfather of Bishop?

4:29PM on 02/28/2012
Guy Pearce is the man. What an awesome video. The creepiness meter was off the charts.

4:28PM on 02/28/2012
If this is any sign of the movie, then I'm expecting a creepy, scary, BRILLIANTLY written masterpiece!

4:20PM on 02/28/2012
This is such a wonderful surprise. I was completely unaware that they would be doing viral videos for Prometheus. It's so awesome to see Pearce in this role, and that speech...gave me the chills.

3:54PM on 02/28/2012