Rob Zombie says making Halloween was miserable and The Blob was to be dead serious

Apr. 30, 2013by: Eric Walkuski

No, Rob Zombie is not going to make THE BLOB, nor will he ever make THE BLOB. File it under "never meant to be" and be done with it. But we're all probably curious about what it could have looked like, right? While we may never see any concrete script pages or notes, it would be fun to see what Zombie had in store for the remake (despite what you think of him as a director).

Case in point: in a new interview with The Playlist, Zombie has stated that his vision of THE BLOB was going to be as dark as his other work. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, given his past comments about the focus of the story.)

It was dead serious. I was almost like a dark science fiction film, but it was serious."

The original was fairly straight-forward, more or less, but it's safe to assume Zombie's version would have been a visceral and nasty take on the "giant blobby thing," as he calls it. He went on to give some insight on why the film never took off:

The Blob was going to happen. I was dealing with people on the movie, even though I was on the fence about doing anything that was considered a remake again. I really didn’t like the idea of that, but just as I went down the road further with the producers and the guys that owned the property, I didn’t feel good about the situation and I just walked away from it. My gut told me this was not a good place to be."

The remake was set up at Dimension, where Zombie had made the two HALLOWEEN films for the Weinstein brothers. It was maybe his not-so-rad experience making those movies that led to his departure from THE BLOB.

I really like those films. I didn’t have a good time making them. It was actually a kind of miserable experience. Anytime they vary from the format is when I really like them."

Luckily for Rob, he doesn't owe Dimension another movie, so he doesn't have to deal with them again. (Although he's diplomatic and says he "would" theoretically work with them again.)

Read the entire interview right HERE

Extra Tidbit: Would you be interested in seeing material from Zombie's BLOB remake? (Assuming there's any material available.)
Source: The Playlist

12:28PM on 05/02/2013

worst director ever

he should never be allowed to make another film period.

he should never be allowed to make another film period.

3:30AM on 05/02/2013

nope.. not going there

no BLOB... NO NO NO NO.
Rob Zombie owes the fans NAZI WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS.. period.
MAKE THAT GODDAMN FILM
no BLOB... NO NO NO NO.
Rob Zombie owes the fans NAZI WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS.. period.
MAKE THAT GODDAMN FILM

4:38PM on 04/30/2013
it wasn't all that fun watching it either , Rob . I like the Dude , just sayin' .....

1:13PM on 04/30/2013

Miserable

It was "a miserable experience" getting paid millions of dollars to take an iconic franchise he claimed to have loved since childhood in whatever creative direction he wanted. Yeah, sucks to be him.

4:16PM on 04/30/2013
this is truth.
this is truth.
11:54PM on 04/30/2013
Well personally, if I had already made two movies that I had creative control over and then I got the job to remake HALLOWEEN, but the version I made was hacked up by the Weinsteins... I think I'd be pretty miserable too.
9:50AM on 05/01/2013
judging by the "creative control" he was limited to on his halloween remake (director's cut vs theatrical), he wanted to have drunk rednecks rape a girl in front of MM until he kills them and escapes...
12:14PM on 05/01/2013
And apparently the experience was so "miserable" having his vision "hacked up" on his remake that he returned to give it another go two years later. Both director's cuts (HIS preferred cut) are bigger messes than the theatricals. Not to mention Zombie firmly defended both films as HIS vision... until people responded negatively. Then it was suddenly no longer his vision.
1:12PM on 04/30/2013
I really have no interest in the Blob remake, but i guess if Rob made it I'd give it a look. I have mixed feelings about him doing remakes because while his Halloween II is one of my favorite horror films ever, I'm the first to admit it has little to do with 'Halloween' lol - So he is better off doing his own original stuff. Lords Of Salem is also amazing. The only film of his I didn't like was 1000 Corpses.

12:57PM on 04/30/2013
I love Rob Zombie, and I am not afraid to admit it. I'm a huge fan of House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Halloween II and The Lords of Salem which I believe is his best film yet. I also like his Halloween remake although when I watch it in a certain mood the whole second half kind of pisses me off.

The criticisms people have against him are pretty dumb if you ask me. Yes, he casts his wife Sheri Moon Zombie in everything he does. Is that bad that he works with his wife? She did a pretty good job in everything she's been in so far, I wouldn't say she's a consistently great actress but she's never that bad either. If she was my wife, I'd cast her in everything too. And yes, he frequently casts actors like Sid Haig and Bill Moseley, and I think that's great. He should cast them. Anyone who is able to cast those actors in a horror movie should do it. He DOES have a lot of "white trash" characters in his films but he doesn't really ask you to like them. And anyway, in his latest film you will find no character that you'd be able to call "white trash". I can't wait to see what he does next, if you ask me he is definitely growing as a director.

1:29PM on 04/30/2013
You bring a good counter argument to my statement below but i disagree with the criticisms behind him being dumb.

Casting his wife- Granted she's hot, but I'm sorry she's not that good of an actress, the fact that she keeps getting bigger and bigger roles in his films hurts the quality. She's okay as part of the main focus (as she was in Devils Rejects) but as someone who can carry a film (Lords of Salem) she's awful. She has 3 emotions, quirky/screaming psycho/ dead look on her face as she walks forward. And it's a cheap shot, but her role in Halloween 2, come on there's no counter to that.

I'm happy he keeps giving SId and BIll work so I won't argue that. Great point.

His "white trash" characters. I understand he doesn't ask us to like them, but if that's the case, how does a viewer get invested in the story if he/she doesn't give a damn about the characters?

Lords of Salem, give me one reason to give a damn about Heidi. She wasn't likable, there was nothing about her that was interesting (other than the set pieces in her room, but the film never dove into that, and the film suffered because of it. Sure all this shit is going down around her but if it's happening to a live action version of a dead eyed puppet, who cares? The only likable person in the entire film was the author and the co dj's but they got so little screen time (DJ's) and the stuff happened in the story (author) completely ruins everything about them.

True in lords of salem you don't find any stereotypical white trash characters, but Halloween/H2/Devils Rejects/1000 Corpses all had em. So it's still 4-1 in favor of white trash characters showing up in his films.

I do think he's grown a bit as a director, his films are fun to look at, the set designs and cinematography are awesome to say the least. But as a story teller and creator of characters I can't give this guy a pass anymore, which is why i'd like to seem him take up someone else's work, I do believe he can do wonders for film, just in only a certain way.
1:53PM on 04/30/2013
Oh I hope you didn't take any of that as a personal attack on anything you said, I was just stating my opinion on Zombie and some of the things you said seem to be things a lot of people say, because they ARE true. You just either accept it or you don't.

Anyway about the white trash characters, House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects just take place in a white trash world. Those types of characters weren't really needed in either of the Halloween films, but I think there were still a lot of likable non-white trash characters to balance it out.
2:07PM on 04/30/2013
i didn't see it as an attack, just a point-counter point discussion.
i didn't see it as an attack, just a point-counter point discussion.
11:59AM on 04/30/2013

in other words

In other words, It was going to take place in White Trash USA, where the lead characters are unlikable, annoying, douche bags, only one person is decent (but we'll kill em off midway through the movie), throw my wife in there as a stripper for some T and A, and the blob will be played by Sid Haig.

Rob's like the horror movie rendition of MIchael Bay, all his stuff is nearly the same (see above), they look good visually, but story wise/characters are awful, just plain awful. I would like to see him do the blob granted he doesn't write the script and has no input on it.

BTW Fuck Lords of Salem.