Scream Factory, the preeminent bastion of cutty horror DVD releases, has just announced two more upcoming genre flicks headed down the lane this April. Take a look...
The first flick is LIFEFORCE, the somewhat unheralded 1985 Tobe Hooper sci-fi thriller. Scream Factory is offering a collector's Edition Blu-ray + DVD COMBO PACK featuring theatrical and international versions of the movie.
From the director of Poltergeist and the co-writer of Alien comes a thrilling sci-fi adventure of explosive action and pulse-pounding suspense! With mind-blowing special effects by Academy Award® winner John Dykstra (1977 Best Visual Effects, Star Wars), Lifeforce is a gripping mélange of genres that’s “so bizarre, it’s fascinating” (Leonard Maltin)!
A mission to investigate Halley's Comet discovers an even stranger phenomenon: an alien spacecraft! Following a deadly confrontation, the aliens arrive on Earth, where their seductive leader begins a terrifying campaign to drain the lifeforce of everyone she encounters. Her victims, in turn, continue the cycle, and soon the entire planet is in mortal danger. And when the mission's sole survivor (Steve Railsback – The Stunt Man) sets out to destroy her, he comes face to face with the most charming - and horrifying – being he's ever known. Will he be able to destroy the lovely vampiress...or will he become yet another victim of her fatal charm?
• Both Theatrical & International Versions (Theatrical cut available on the Blu-ray only.)
• New Audio Commentary with Director Tobe Hooper
• New Retrospective with Cast & Crew including Star Steve Railsback, Director Tobe Hooper and others!
• Original vintage “Making-Of Lifeforce” Featurette
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spot • Still Gallery
• And more to be announced! 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) (BD)/Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) (DVD)/DTS HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby Digital 5.1/1985/116 mins.
Not to be outdone, SF is also putting out the Hammer Films' classic THE VAMPIRE LOVERS, also on Blu-ray this April:
A female vampire with lesbian tendencies ravages the young girls and townsfolk of a peaceful hamlet in eighteenth century Europe who, years earlier, killed off her fellow vampires. A rousing hunt for the vampiress ensues as a group of men follow her bloody trail of terror through the countryside. Adapted from J. Sheridan LeFanu's novella "Carmilla," The Vampire Lovers stars Ingrid Pitt, George Cole and Peter Cushing.
Now this “rather erotic Hammer chiller” (Leonard Maltin) appears on Bluray for the first time… If you dare, come into a twilight world of unspeakable horror and taste the deadly passion of the blood-nymphs!
• Feature Length Commentary with Roy Ward Baker (Director), Tudor Gates (Writer) and Ingrid Pitt (Carmilla) moderated by Jonathan Sothcott.
• Excerpts from the novella Carmilla, that inspired the film, read by Ingrid Pitt • Original Theatrical Trailer • New Interview with Madeline Smith (Emma)
• New Interviews with Hammer Films Scholars
• Original Radio Spot 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1) (BD)/DTS Master Audio / 1970 /88 mins.
Damn, Mathilda May still has quite the LIFEFORCE!