Sean S. Cunningham discusses the development of the next Friday the 13th

11.30.2015by: Cody Hamman

It's very disconcerting that the development of the next installment in the FRIDAY THE 13TH franchise is taking so long. In the 1980s, Paramount Pictures were pumping FRIDAY movies out on a yearly basis and they were awesome. Jason Voorhees went over to New Line Cinema/Warner Bros. after the '80s, but Paramount got back in on the Voorhees action when they teamed up with WB for the 2009 FRIDAY THE 13TH. In 2013, Warner Bros. handed the rights back to Paramount for a five year period. The Paramount of the '80s would have knocked out at least four movies during this window of opportunity, but instead the development of the next FRIDAY THE 13TH has been a two year slog. The movie was announced for 2015, then pushed back to 2016, then 2017, the rights getting closer and closer to slipping back out of Paramount's hands.

In a talk with Fangoria, original FRIDAY THE 13TH director Sean S. Cunningham, who re-joined the series as producer as of 1993's JASON GOES TO HELL: THE FINAL FRIDAY, discussed the development process:

FANGORIA: There have been rumors going around that the new FRIDAY THE 13TH film will take place during the winter as well as other ideas, can you comment on that?

CUNNINGHAM: They’ve been talking about that, but that’s not going to happen. I think what’s different for sure is Paramount was hung up on trying to do the found footage, which most fans, including me, just thought it wasn’t right. They weren’t saying yes to anything that didn’t work but they couldn’t find anything that would work. So finally, last February they gave up on it and decided to go in a completely different way and now they’re in the process of once again finding a better way to make it.

They need to break out of the core audience and add to that audience to get crossover traffic.  I think the trick will be in taking Jason as he is and finding a way to involve him in slightly more complicated but purely primal stories, and that sounds kind of important but how do you do that? But I think if you can add that to what we already got then I think it really can sing.

I'm very glad that the wrongheaded found footage approach was finally abandoned after wasting so much time. Still, it seems like the filmmakers need to be reminded that there's no reason to overthink this stuff. What people want from FRIDAY THE 13TH is to see Jason Voorhees, in all his hockey masked glory, killing people in Crystal Lake. That simple. It shouldn't take years to crack this code.

Platinum Dunes is producing FRIDAY THE 13TH for Paramount with Cunningham. David Bruckner is attached to direct the film, which is currently set for release on Friday, January 13, 2017.

Waiting...

Extra Tidbit: What would you like to see happen in the next F13?
Source: Fangoria

3:23PM on 12/02/2015
How about taking him out of the small camp setting? I know that's controversial, but camps were big in the 80's and their movies, but not so much anymore. If theyre looking for a cross bridge to reach a broader audience, that may be it. Say Jason goes to the beach, or college campus. Or even Camp Crystal lake gets modernized and capitalism took it over - like a spring break/summer vacation destination with carnivals, a board walk, etc. Im a die hard fan, but I also realize that the camp setting runs its course and theres only so much you can do.

10:04AM on 12/01/2015
Camp Crystal Lake begins running a winter holiday getaway program for kids, Jason shows up and kills sex crazed pot smoking counselors...Voila! There's your movie! Just give me a mention in the credits and that ideas all yours, You're Welcome!

7:22PM on 11/30/2015
I pretty much agree with everyone else. Just give us Jason fighting/killing campers in the snow. It's not a complicated process Paramount.

2:54PM on 11/30/2015

Gotta agree.....

everyone who has posted comments just gets it spot on. Friday the 13th isn't complex, whilst interesting characters with dimension are a winner, the premise doesn't have to be. I love the winter idea, and would love to see victims trying to survive the elements whilst trying to survive Jason. Job done. Hell, if you make in the winter it could even be a new contender for most incongruous Christmas film alongside Die Hard.

Oh and just as an aside, as a fan of these movies I particularly

Oh and just as an aside, as a fan of these movies I particularly enjoyed The Final Girls as a kind of throwback. Just could have been a little more brutal with its kills, but that's just my opinion.

2:36PM on 11/30/2015

My opinion?

Keep it simple but introduce an interesting character with their own backstory with a good reason to be at Crystal Lake and the motivation to fight Jason Voorhees. What worked about the original films is they always managed to have one kickass final girl who was likable, vulnerable, strong and resourceful. And then it 4-6 we had Tommy Jarvis. What worked about the good Nightmare on Elm Streets and the Halloweens were characters like Laurie Strode, Dr Loomis and Nancy Thompson. Without a character that you can root for that you DO NOT want to see get killed, people get bored, start rooting for the killer and that gets lame after so many movies. Unless they put some work into writing and casting the other characters besides Jason, they may as well not do it.

1:59PM on 11/30/2015
Cunningham says, "They need to break out of the core audience and add to that audience to get crossover traffic." I don't like the sound of that. Never forget your base. However, Paramount could find a new approach that pleases everyone and revitalizes the franchise. Such things have happened before.

11:11AM on 11/30/2015
The premise couldn't be simpler. And having part of this take place in the winter would be terrific.

11:09AM on 11/30/2015
I still think setting Friday the 13th during winter would be a great idea. But for Friday the 13th movie itself, you don't need much back story. Take a look at The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series lately. They've tried to add bunch of back stories that just way too much. Friday the 13th is simple - a group of teens stalked by Jason in the forest. That's it.

10:43AM on 11/30/2015

Jason fucking Vorhees isn't 'complicated'

Idiots. How hard can it be?
Idiots. How hard can it be?

Fenn, Sherilyn